Christmas Smackdown: Jesus vs. Atheists in Olympia

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

BBO, I see why you would be offended by those beliefs. These religious displays, though, aren't about telling you you will burn in hell. It doesn't state any doctrine, just has symbols. I am not sure how one could celebrate Christmas without symbols that might remind you of the doctrines that understandably bother you.

As for the separation of church and state as it was intended....oh boy is that a huge can of worms! Too many statements such as this in Washington's Farewell Address to say that the founders wanted freedom from religion as the man who put up the display in my state capital want.
Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens. The mere Politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connexions with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked, Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths, which are the instruments of investigation in Courts of Justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.
Freedom of religion is how the Bill of Rights reads. Of. That means for BBO to do as he believes and for me to as well. But I see no reason to put him and his beliefs down in front of the world, as this man is doing to not just Christians but anyone of any faith, Christian, Muslin, Bhuddist, Satanist,...
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

t, I am actually not offended by Biblical beliefs. I can just see how so many others can be, though, so I used a bit of illustrated empathy to get that point out. Personally, I love Christmas, God, kittens and love, so, heathen as I may be, I've got a pretty good shot at a death-bed repent :-D

Ok, I'm being a bit silly again, but the message is the same. Respect for others can overshadow, if not eliminate the hatred and ignorance of a unilateral mindset.

We are all in this together and anyone who feels the prickly need to poop on Christmas can kiss my Big Blue Ass. :-)
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

We are all in this together and anyone who feels the prickly need to poop on Christmas can kiss my Big Blue Ass.

Well said BBbrooooooooooooooooooooooski. :-D
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:We are all in this together and anyone who feels the prickly need to poop on Christmas can kiss my Big Blue Ass. :-)
I'm with ya there Bro. My biggest issue is that these people waited until
NOW to unleash it. It's targeted, planned and it's 100% intentional, and
all it's purpose consists of is to attack Christians and stir up shit, along
with a dash of hate and discontent.

If they tried this shit during the MLK holiday, it would be a hate crime and
the governor would absolutely forbid it. A double standard, you ask?

You bet.

All during our FEDERAL holiday celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, NOT
atheism. Atheists already have a holiday every year - on April 1st.

Why don't they just move the display to the other side of the building...
like...next to the dumpsters.

My hat's off to all that protested in solidarity. I'm a day late and a dollar
short, but KNEW that was coming sooner or later.

Like the protestor on TV said, the governor needs to quit hiding under her
desk, do the right thing, and stop making Washington State a whipping
child and a laughingstock.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I'm not sure if it is right or prudent, but something tells me the correct thing to do is to move a religious display to the front yard of a church. Doesn't that sound like it would leave little to temptation when it comes to anyone protesting a religious holiday setup?

I'm not sayin', nomesayin', jus' sayin', nomesayin'?
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:I'm not sure if it is right or prudent, but something tells me the correct thing to do is to move a religious display to the front yard of a church. Doesn't that sound like it would leave little to temptation when it comes to anyone protesting a religious holiday setup?

I'm not sayin', nomesayin', jus' sayin', nomesayin'?
Yup, I know what you're getting at. BUT....

It's gonna be tough to legislate that proposition in a country that was
founded upon Judeo-Christian principles.
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

The thing is, even on church property, religious displays have been protested and vadalized. Some people aren't as tolerant as others.
Onward and Upward!