R.I.P Billy Powell

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

R.I.P Billy Powell

Post by Walkinghairball »

Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboardist dies at Florida home.

ORANGE PARK, Fla. ? Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboard player Billy Powell, who played on such hits as "Sweet Home Alabama" and survived the 1977 plane crash that killed three band members, died Wednesday. He was 56.

Powell called 911 in this Jacksonville suburb saying he was having trouble breathing. Rescue crews performed CPR, but he was pronounced dead about an hour later, Orange Park Police Lt. Mark Cornett said.

Powell, who had a history of heart problems, missed a Tuesday appointment with his doctor for a cardiac evaluation, and a heart attack is suspected as the cause of death.

The Jacksonville-based band was formed in 1966 by a group of high school students ? famously, it took its name from a physical education teacher they disliked, Leonard Skinner. Powell joined the group in 1970 and became its keyboardist in 1972, the year before they released their first album, "Pronounced leh-nerd skin-nerd."

It became one of the South's most popular rock groups, and gained national fame with such hits as "Free Bird," "What's Your Name" and especially "Sweet Home Alabama," which reached the top 10 on the charts in 1974. The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006.

The band was decimated on Oct. 20, 1977, when their chartered plane crashed in a swamp near McComb, Miss.

Six people were killed ? lead singer Ronnie Van Zant; guitarist Steve Gaines; Gaines' sister, vocalist Cassie Gaines; as well as an assistant road manager, the pilot and co-pilot.

Powell received facial injuries in the crash, but eventually recovered. He was the only band member well enough to attend the funerals of those killed in the crash.

Two years after the accident, Powell and fellow members Allen Collins, Gary Rossington and Leon Wilkeson formed the Rossington-Collins Band. It broke up in 1982.

In 1987 Johnny Van Zant ? Ronnie's brother ? and a new Lynyrd Skynyrd Band went on a tribute tour, and Powell was on hand again in 1991 when the revived version of the band put out a new album, "Lynyrd Skynyrd 1991" and started a tour in Baton Rouge, La., where the band was headed in 1977 when the plane crashed.

Fans who kept their tickets from the canceled 1977 concert were admitted free.

The band's last album, "Vicious Cycle," was released in 2003.

Johnny Van Zant was devastated by Powell's death. Hearkening back to the deaths of other members of the band, he said: "Maybe it is just the destiny of Lynyrd Skynyrd. We've played before millions and millions of people and it's been a wonderful ride and a bumpy one too."

Van Zant said Powell had been a roadie for the band when his brother heard him playing the keyboard.

"Nobody knew he could play the keyboard," Van Zant said.

Earlier this year, Powell and the band took a four-day cruise on a ship out of Miami with "4,000 crazy Skynyrd fans," said Van Zant.

The band had recorded several songs for a new album and had upcoming gigs, which will be canceled, Van Zant said.

Howard Kramer, curatorial director at the Rock and Roll Hall, said Powell "was a phenomenal piano player. The band may be able to get another piano player, but they will never replace Billy Powell."

"He was one of the best piano keyboardists, rock 'n' roll keyboardists, of our lifetime," said Ross Schilling, the band's manager.

Hank Williams Jr. said: "I will truly miss Billy. We have all lost one of our best rowdy friends."
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

My heartfelt sympathies go out to Skynyrd and Billy's family.

Billy was a pianist that could hang with the BEST. Thank you for the
memories Billy. Hope to see you in Heaven one day my friend.

I've been jammin' on Skynyrd since 1974.

They were my first concert, along with Ted Nugent, Nazareth and
Foreigner on the same bill - Skynyrd headlining.

I'll never forget the COMMAND Ronnie VanZant had of the stage.

He'd come out in a slow meander, lean the mic stand at 45 degrees
and get down to business - taking a Jack Daniels bottle up to his mouth
after every third tune or so, and whistling to call his "mules" for guitar
solos.

They were a well-oiled machine.

I enjoy playing their not-so-well-known tunes on my guitar.

Tunes like "Junkie," older versions of "Tueday's Gone" and
"I Ain't The One" keep me smilin' when I pick up the PRS after
a long stressful day.

It's a damned shame that Skynyrd has gone through such hardship.

It's tragic.

Knowing them, they'll brush themselves off and pick up where they left off.

We'll see.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

They will need one honky-tonkin s.o.b, to get it right though.
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Walkinghairball wrote:They will need one honky-tonkin s.o.b, to get it right though.

You got that right Bro.

He/she had better be good at ragtime playin' as well as blues....fo' sho'.

Thanks for posting this Hairy.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Sleep tight, bro. Your music added to the soundtrack of our lives.

ImageImage

I wonder why the article didn't mention Artimus Pyle, who with two roadies crawled, bloodied and broken, to a farm after the plane crash, only to be shot by the farmer as a trespasser (thought they were prison escapees, actually,) then eventually saving the remaining member's lives.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Walkinghairball

Prolly cuz of the riff between Billy and Art over exactly what happened that night.

Art claims that exactly, but Billy also added that, and Cassie dying in Arts arms couldn't have happened at the exact same time. Who knows for sure.

I have been hearing piano in my head all day since I found the article. I am bummered over this. :(
This space for rent