Scooter

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Scooter

Post by Walkinghairball »

Only a few of you know what has happened, so I will let you all know.

Scoot has been fighting a cold since last saturday. Tummy aches, some headaches, mild fever, dry cough. Well on thursday the 9th, Marn took her to the Dr.

After a few tests they found her blood glucose level to be over 400. She has type 1 on-set Diabeties. She spent a day in the PedICU and is now in her own room at the pediatric hospital here in town. Insulin dependant for life.

Hindsight is always 20/20, we never thought of is as anything other than a cold. Boy were we wrong. One of her tests showed that this has been manifesting for at least 3 months, and possibly as long as 2 years.

It's like a kick in the gut.

Time to retune our lives, and do this.

Like the Dr. said, "This, of all diseases, is the one that is managable."

We will not lay down on this. Time to change a few things. Hell, I might even loose all the weight and be better off too. Time to toss out all the shit food and start getting healthy.
This space for rent
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

Ugh, that is a kick in the gut.

Well, manageable it is, and I'll
offer some prayers to aid in your battle.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks bro. Hows the job thinger coming on? Any leads or great news yet??
This space for rent
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Wow, that is tough news to hear as a parent and a difficult thing to have to endure as a kid. My thoughts are with You, Marn and Scoot.
Happy 2015!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

My heartfelt feelings go out to you, Marn and Scoot, HB. My wife is type
2. At least you know what's going on now, and I hope there is a chance
of improvement, or better yet - reversal - later on with lifestyle
changes.

At any rate, the doc is right. It's totally manageable.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Walkinghairball

We got her discharged and home around 3 pm today. Now we are having a balanced home cooked meal. Wow. Imagine that. LOL
This space for rent
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Woa shit....that sucks. With that, many poeple have no idea what is going on until it gets really bad. And yeah, it can be reversed with major lifestyle/diet changes if caught early enough and at worst it can be managed and she can live a pretty normal life if she does what she is supposed to do. I hate to hear that happening to anyone, esp a kid. (((hairballs)))
We're all mad here!
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

Walkinghairball wrote:Thanks bro. Hows the job thinger coming on? Any leads or great news yet??
Job interview in Boston tomorrow.
:D
Walkinghairball

Middle Kingdom wrote:
Walkinghairball wrote:Thanks bro. Hows the job thinger coming on? Any leads or great news yet??
Job interview in Boston tomorrow.
:D
Good deal.............stick it in their neck bro.
This space for rent
Orlando's LOVESLAVE

Post by Orlando's LOVESLAVE »

Thank you everyone.

It has been a difficult couple of weeks since this all got diagnosed. But we are getting through it. The balanced meals are real nice. I feel better myself, already. I've even started eating breakfast some mornings. I haven't done that in years.

Scoot is getting better with all of it. I know we still have a ton of ups and downs with this. The only thing Scoot isn't doing yet is giving herself her own shots. For an almost 11 y.o. though, she's doing very well.
She's been back in school for a week. The nurse has been very helpful. And the kids in her class are great. They all made her GET WELL SOON cards. We went in last Friday to let the kids know what was going on. And they had some pretty amazing questions for 9, 10 & 11 year olds. There was even a couple of the girls in her class that missed their own lunch recess on Monday to sit with Scoot so she wasn't by herself in the lunch room. They also make sure that she is never alone. :D

Unfortunately for Scoot there are no other kids in her school with diabetes. (I don't wish this on anyone, but it would be nice if she had someone around her same age that she could talk to, if she needed to.)

There are two summer camps, about 1 1/2 hours drive from us, that she can attend and ALL the kids there have Type1 diabetes. We probably won't make it to one this year, but will try for next summer. Most of the counselors are also Type1 diabetics. One of the councelors even works at the same office I do. Scoot got to meet him Wednesday before we went to her follow up appointment.

There is also a walk in September here in town that we will attend. I've donated in the past, but now we will walk to FIND A CURE. In fact, a friend of mine has asked us to be part of her team. She is also Type1 since she was about 8 y.o.
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Yeah its nice to have peers with the same problem as you. That way you feel less like an alien...or maybe that's just me. I don't know anybody w/ the same problem I have. :( She will have it easier I think if she can talk with others who go through the same kinds of challenges. Nobody else really understands...they might can for a moment inagine what its like...but imagine that for months. Yeah right.
We're all mad here!
Me

Post by Me »

Haven't showed my words around here in awhile.... however after reading this....I hope the best for Scoot and your family Hairy.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Walkinghairball

Me wrote:Haven't showed my words around here in awhile.... however after reading this....I hope the best for Scoot and your family Hairy.

Thanks Kev.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kev, great to see ya. God bless.
Walkinghairball

Just saw the hospital bill for Scooter's 6 day stay, one day was emergency room and ICU...............$17,000 +..............................Only almost $200.00 is out of pocket. This doesn't cover the Dr. bill or the Dietitians and stuff, we'll see then.

I am relieved so far, I thought this part alone would cost thousands.