The Greatest Invention of All Time

When you have no clue as to what you want to say

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

EndlesslyRocking

The Greatest Invention of All Time

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

Oh, sure. There's been the Wheel, The Telephone, Penicillan, the Hubble Telescope...All wonderful inventions, certainly.

But I speak to you today of the Greatest Invention of All Time: TiVo!

That's right, TiVo!

Finally, someone appreciates the challenges and obstacles for the true couch potato. I don't want to enter all these numbers all of the time. In fact, I don't want to remember things, or think at all.

When I sit down for a good 6-7 hour stretch of "me" time, damnit, I want nothing but the best, and I certainly don't want to be fumbling with videocassettes! I want to skip commercials and not worry about pre-emption (TiVo! kicks pre-emptions ass!).

I thought I used to be a solid TV watcher, but TiVo! has brought my game to a whole new level. I swear I was like a caveman beating rocks together for heat before this miracle entered my life.

ALL HAIL TiVo!

:)
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
Unit One

Post by Unit One »

I have one also, and I think it's a great thing to have. I keep on seeing Leo talk about hacking his on The Screen Savers, but yet, the only one I've been brave enough to do is the 30 second jump.
Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

While I cannot argue the merits of TiVo!, it is a great invention unto itself but we must recognize the main support of today's instant-gratification seeking populace. The invention I am talking about is the Microwave™. This thing is like a Time Machine! You can bake it for 15 minutes in the oven or you can Microwave™ it for 2 minutes at your convenience! Because when you're enthralled watching your TiVo! on a 15 or 16 hour marathon stretch to catch all of those "6 Million Dollar Man" or "Magnum P.I." re-runs by the time you realize that you are hungry you will be far too hungry to wait 15 minutes to bake your dish in the oven! So the logical choice would be to simply pop it in your Microwave™ and have it in a flash, before your hunger can distract you further from your television programming!

Disclaimer : Microwave™ or other Microwave™ products are not liable for your mis-use.
EndlesslyRocking

Unit One wrote:I have one also, and I think it's a great thing to have. I keep on seeing Leo talk about hacking his on The Screen Savers, but yet, the only one I've been brave enough to do is the 30 second jump.
"Hacking his on the Screen Savers"? I'm not sure what you mean...

The 30-second jump is awesome, of course it resets all the time, but I keep the code handy.

;)

And yes, the microwave is certainly an appropriate companion to TiVo.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

what the heck is a TiVo

and from what i read another tally for laziness is the mother of invention as opposed to necessity
EndlesslyRocking

Sir Myghin wrote:what the heck is a TiVo

and from what i read another tally for laziness is the mother of invention as opposed to necessity
I wouldn't call it "laziness", so much as I would call it "a complete desire to avoid work."

;)

TiVo is essentially a smart, powerful VCR with a hard drive instead of video cassettes. It learns, adjusts, recommends, etc.

But that doesn't do it justice. Like describing the Sistine Chapel as a "nice church".

ALL HAIL TiVo!
Unit One

Post by Unit One »

EndlesslyRocking wrote: "Hacking his on the Screen Savers"? I'm not sure what you mean...
There is a show on TechTV, called "The Screen Savers". Leo Laporte is one of the host of the show. Every once in awhile, he brings his Tivo in, and shows how to hack it. I believe he has a large enough hard drive to record around 200 hrs of shows, in "best quality".
Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits
Zivo
Location: "A place not too far from here, as a matter of fact

Post by Zivo »

Zivo like TiVo :)
Unit One

Post by Unit One »

Zivo wrote:Zivo like TiVo :)
One of these days, I'm going to let the TiVo have a week, and record all the shows it thinks that I would like, based on my viewing habits.

I'm curious to see what it comes up with.
Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

i've never ehard them reffered to as TiVo but i know what they are now
Unit One

Post by Unit One »

Sir Myghin wrote:i've never ehard them reffered to as TiVo but i know what they are now

Well, PVR's (Personial Video Recorders) is what they are. TiVo is just the most well-known brand name. Kind of like calling all ear cotton swabs, "Q-Tips"
Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

and the clouds drift to leave a clear world, hey wait, where are my glasses!
Immortal for a Ltd Time

Post by Immortal for a Ltd Time »

I don't have a TiVo, I have Dish Network's PVR. It's the greatest thing ever!
My prime-time-drama cycle time has decreased by 33%, thus increasing my overall TV watching productivity.

Does anyone here get so used to being able to pause and back up live TV that you find that you want to do it on the radio, or even real-life events?

:? :)
I was lined up for glory, but the tickets sold out in advance
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

HAIL TiVo the greatest metal mind yet!

The amazing enlightenment that you have bestowed on us all in the powerful magic square. Hours upon hours of R&R in my vibrating recliner
(got to keep my musle in shape some how) I swear that it's clairvoyant with a bit of nostalgic lurking for I LOVE LUCY.

HAIL TiVo!!!
schuette

Post by schuette »

is TiVo american cuz I've still never heard of it but saying that me and technology dont really get on.... :roll: