Jethro Tull

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

Jethro Tull

Post by Ogg »

Just bought and listening to the 25th Anniversary edition of the mighty 'Tull's Aqualung. Buy it...now!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

thats a great album sounds like 1 big long song
wcp

Post by wcp »

Don't want to be a Fat Maaaaaaan!
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

You know what I hate? When people think that Jethro Tull is a guy in the band.

Who's Jethro Tull?
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

The radio station I listen to in the morning wants to ban Jethro Tull music for some comments about America that Ian Anderson made to a local newspaper. Here is a link to the morning show.

http://www.945thehawk.com/staff_extra05.shtml

Here is a link to the article itself.

http://www.app.com/app2001/story/0,21133,851338,00.html

This morning the station said it is hoping to be outside the theater for tonight's show giving out flags to all who attend. :lol:
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

Ian Anderson wrote:Bush and Blair haven't got the faintest clue what a real war is
And I'm sure :roll: Ian Anderson does....as we all know, a career in music gives you all the 'clues' you'll ever need. You know, I like Jethro Tull's music and all, but I wish Anderson et al, would just shut the fuck up, and play music. You're an entertainer, and contrary to popular belief, the bulk of the population of the U.S. and the world does not need you to speak for us. I don't care if you're the Dixie Chicks, or Ted Nugent; Rosie O'Donnel or Tom Seleck; Martin Sheen or Charlton Heston....shut the fuck up and entertain us. You want to get up on a soap box and preach to the world? Throw your hat into the ring, and run for an office.
Ian Anderson wrote:I hate to see the American flag hanging out of every bloody station wagon, out of every SUV, every little Midwestern house in some residential area. It's easy to confuse patriotism with nationalism.
Then stay home. You've made your entire career almost entirely on American money, yet you want to bitch about where we fly our flags?
Ian Anderson wrote:"But most of the time, we keep the flag-waving out of normal society these days, because we know that it just engenders old animosities -- we old Europeans who are a little sadder and wiser as a result of having the (excrement) beaten out of us a number of times, and our cities and national monuments destroyed. We're probably a little more sanguine about this than the very sensitive American psyche, which has not experienced or had to endure these offenses on its home turf."

Some Americans may disagree in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the Pentagon and the World Trade Center, though 56-year-old Anderson is referring to the bombing of England and other European countries during World War II.
"We old Europeans" indeed. Anderson wasn't even born when WWII ended. What the fuck does he know about, "our cities and national monuments destroyed"?
Ian Anderson wrote:But some folks, just like Sigfried and Roy, will do anything for the show-biz buzz. And the show-biz buzz of being out there doing the big, spectacular Las Vegas show with a bunch of poor animals --
Oh brother, he's one of 'them'.
Ian Anderson wrote:you know, so Bush and Blair will do the same thing for the different buzz that comes with the power of political leadership.
Not so much unlike an entertainer giving an interview to draw attention to himself when his career is hitting rock bottom.

I still like the music of Tull, but Anderson has left me with a bad taste in my mouth....and I can't say that I will support his cause by buying any of his music.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
schuette

Post by schuette »

I love and always will love Jethro Tull but I agree that Ian Anderson is an entertainer who shouldn't voice such strong opinions about a country that he doesn't belong to...
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

schuette wrote:I love and always will love Jethro Tull but I agree that Ian Anderson is an entertainer who shouldn't voice such strong opinions about a country that he doesn't belong to...
It's not even so much the fact that he's not American...What gets me is all the entertainers who use their celebrity status to push their views on the 'meek' of the Earth. Why does every redneck in America have a gun? Because Nugent and Heston told them too. Why does every tree hugger want to give away my money to those not willing to work, and value the life of a cat over that of a person? Because O'Donnel and Sheen told them too.

I guess I souldn't blame it all on the entertainers....if this world wasn't so full of sheep, they wouldn't need shepherds.
Last edited by by-tor on Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

who shouldn't voice such strong opinions about a country that he doesn't belong to...
Hmmmm....
For a country that supposedly promotes it's "free speech" ethic surely that involves being able to take criticism as well? Ian Anderson is just one man with one man's opinion...and shared by many others no doubt. Personally I have little to do with the whole tv thing and havent a valid opinion.
I am aware that any opinion however misguided is as much that, an opinion. I believe the US invites criticism purely by being a "major player" in International affairs. Let's face it mistakes are made by all, even by "the most powerful man in the world" and the Country he represents.

I love ya By-Tor (in a non-gay way :wink: ) but I have to question your insistence on attacking any anti-US stance, be it the military, the sport or the culture in general. One can almost pre-empt your reaction, all guns blazing...most discerning.

ps: huge 'Tull fan, all the albums, several books..I know enough that Mr Anderson is financially secure and is not the kind of man to seek publicity by deliberately provocation. Let's be honest what has the man to prove "career wise"?

"LET THE FLAMING BEGIN"
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

Ogg wrote:I love ya By-Tor (in a non-gay way :wink: ) but I have to question your insistence on attacking any anti-US stance, be it the military, the sport or the culture in general. One can almost pre-empt your reaction, all guns blazing...most discerning.
I wasn't attack his stance...I was attacking his 'Holier than thou' attitude, and his use of celebrity status to push his views. Notice in that post, I pointed to celebs on both sides of the fence....and pond.

Sports and culture....that I take in good fun...but I do/will support my fellow service men/women when attacked in any way, shape, or form.
Ogg wrote:LET THE FLAMING BEGIN
No flames here...I respect others' opinions, but I don't always agree with what they do with them. It's kind of like how I don't think it's right that a company like Microsoft uses their OS monopoly to push their Media Player...I don't like when people use their celebrity status to push their views.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

The way I see it, Ian has the right to say what he thinks.

We have the right to listen or not listen to his music.

A radio station has the right to say they won't play his stuff.

That is part of what makes America great. That is a part of what so many of my kin have fought and some died for.

Thank you to those who have served so that we can have freedom of speech.

And if this all just sounds like patriotic jabbering, so be it. But it is how I think about the situation.
Onward and Upward!
schuette

Post by schuette »

again I see your point t ...but it would piss me off if some american entertainer came to Scotland and started to say what was wrong with our country. What the fuck has it got to do with them....
maybe it is freedom of speech but when you are such a prominent figure, you should realise that what you say can be taken for gospel by numpties.... some ppl just cant understand that an opinion is just that.
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

Hmmm...personally, I think nationalism is overrated and tends to cause more problems than it solves.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

schuette wrote:but it would piss me off if some american entertainer came to Scotland and started to say what was wrong with our country. What the fuck has it got to do with them....
Very true....but that's where the Dixie Chicks pissed me off even more than that....they went to another country (England), and ran their mouth about the President. To me, all countries have problems, but you keep those problems internal....solve them at home....don't go to someone elses' backyard and air your dirty laundry. How would the Britts feel if the Stones came over here and started mouthing off about things they didn't like in England? How would the Aussies feel if Russell Crowe was talking down about the Australian government while on a Canadian talk show?

**Note : I'm not saying that the Stones or Crowe are guilty of those things.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

schuette wrote:maybe it is freedom of speech but when you are such a prominent figure, you should realise that what you say can be taken for gospel by numpties.... some ppl just cant understand that an opinion is just that.
This is true. It is freedom of speech whether any of us agree with him or not. And our country does not protect the speech of only citizens, but all men.

Although the famous should realize that there are those who hang on every word said by them as gospel, it is just a part of life that they still say what many of us consider crap.

I see it as my job to make sure that my kids grow up being able to discern the difference between opinion and fact. That they can look at something said by someone they look up to and say, "He is full of it."
Onward and Upward!