By-Torian Garden Club

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Mr. Potatoe Head

By-Torian Garden Club

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

I took the course to be called a master gardener, something I'm not but do like to garden.
I volunteer at our local Ag center mostly composting, but have talked with children in our local schools about meet the plants and worked at our local museum
A requirement of fifty hours volunteering the first year and twenty hrs each year there after to keep the prestigious name of master gardener. When you first start you take a whole slue of courses all provided for free. It's very informative, then you give back to the community. It's fun and I meet people in something I'm interested in.
Anyway so far this year I got my onion sets in, spinach, carrots, radishes, some tomatoes under my grow light pushing them as I started them late, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower. So if anyone would like to discuss plants or have gardening ideas or possibly if I could help with a question or you could help me, maybe we can have a fun topic.
Last edited by Mr. Potatoe Head on Fri May 07, 2004 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

I have a question. My parents and I have to cut the woods back behind our house and burn it in our incinerator. Can you come over and be our Foreman? :D

Preez? :?

By Foreman I mean you can use a chainsaw, of course.
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I told H that I wanted to start a thread like this, but hadn't gotten to it. Thanks for starting it for me, Kev!

I have an herb bed that I keep up here, and I help out in our orchard and take care of my mom's yard.

Spring is really springing up here. Next week, when we resume school, the kids and I are going to put seeds in a greehouse. Our frost free date isn't until Mid-May here.
Onward and Upward!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Tentatively growing Beefsteaks, Jubilees and San Marzanos. Also Habaneros....

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Mr. Potatoe Head

Lifesonite,
You may be able to get that work done for free and depending on your standing timber could even make a buck or two. If not, hard work is good for you. So get on with it and keep warm next Winter.

Your welcome Dawn you and I discuss our plantings from time to time and that's nice, don't forget to dead head :)

Kares I had some awsome bell peppers last year first time after years of trying. I like the hots myself jalapeno the best not to hot just right the later they get the hotter they are, as are most of the hots. I'm fond of the yellow banana peppers also. Habaneros are a bit hot for me use them sparingly, but they are prolific. I always like to try some exotics had some yellow tomatoes from Russia they were good, but oh so many. Last year with all the rain my cukes got huge but my oinions rotted a bumper crop of yellow crook neck yet hardly any zukes, just the opposite of the year before. I rely on rain mostly but will water a bit hoping for a more balanced year for the garden this time around.
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

I was asking you to help, I was trying to ged it done for free you see :P We're just clearing out the bad trees, there's a few dead and rotten ones. I was only joking around, I like the work!
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I ged to plant a new thyme in my herb garden today! :D
Onward and Upward!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I assist a mate in his cultivation of a certain herb :wink: and I'm rewarded handsomely for my effort come crop day. Need advice? I'm your man :lol: :lol: :lol:

apologies: didnt realise pic would be so big

ps not me in pic
Last edited by Ogg on Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

:lol: :lol:

Uh, Ogg, how does he see his plasma screen through all that herbage? :shock: 8)

Spud, last year bell peppers gorgeous too. I grow Habaneros for fun and I know they can rip the eyelashes ofn' ya. I make salsa out of them and lose my friends. Garden the size of a postage stamp.

Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Uh, Ogg, how does he see his plasma screen through all that herbage?
Dont be silly kares4' :lol: this was one glorious evening last year when the crop was brought inside for harvesting...from the outside :roll:
Mr. Potatoe Head

Time for thyme T speaking of a certain herb that should be legalized... Ogg,
Pretty odor riffic females cloned hydroponicly is the way to go. They lose some potency after cloning numerours times. Very easy to accomplish some very fine, knock your socks off herb. They get to be very hungry little creatures. I had it down to a science myself at one time. I got my secret recipe and it's really one plant that I get the most enjoyment out of. They really are a spectacular plant to bad the dogs have to go sniffing around all the time, so I gave it up.
Kares, I have a 30' x 40' plot out back nothing like plucking some fresh organicaly grown strawberrys in the morning to top my cherrios. I never use pesticides I have lost a whole plot due to ravenous creatures one time. I've been experimenting over the years towards a more balenced growing enviorment. Believe it or not bugs have a preference just like us.
One of the best defenses is taking those haberanos smushing them up and making a liquid spray using that and the friends you don't want in your garden will go find sweeter things to gnaw on.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Oh, thanks! I'll try that. I grow marigolds around the perimeter to help keep bugs out. They're real pretty but I don't know how much good they do. I keep last year's extra habaneros in the freezer (they freeze beautifully) as I don't always get a crop each year. I take 'em out of the freezer and they're perfect for shaving off a few slices to give a BANG to soup or chili or the like.

I'll try some in a spray when my 'matoes and peppers are big enough to go outside.

Mr. Potatoe Head

Hi Kares,
Marigolds seem to work a bit, I have done the same, like you though, not sure with what. Going to work at "Take Pride In Blue Marsh" tomorrow, kind of a earth day thing. I'm in charge of park beautification, they call me the flower child :lol: Anyone want to come out your more than welcome to help, you get a free lunch, bratworst, chips, soda and candy.
And I'll have Rush on the CD :)
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

I hope they don't have you picking up trash!!! Well, I know what you mean. I remember "Earth Day" as a kid in school. We marched around the neighborhood with brooms and bags singing, "Hep Two Three Four! Get that garbage off the floor!"

I think the nuns wanted us to be flower children. :shock:

Speaking of bratwurst (or as my cousins from Chicaaago say, "Braaaatwurst") a really good way to cook them is to pierce holes in them and soak them in a good dark beer and red onions and then grill them. Mmmm! Spring has sprung!!

*back to your regularly scheduled gardening thread*

Mr. Potatoe Head

No picking up trash, planted flowers petunis, Ageratum, Alyssum, Begonia, Slavia and Mariglods. The day went by fast, over seven hundred people showed up. I only had about a dozen on my crew. Now I'm enjoying a cold one.

They did have a few dozen people picking up trash though. Don't be a litter bug. :wink:
Last edited by Mr. Potatoe Head on Fri May 07, 2004 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.