Device, Voice, Drum......Kansas DVD.

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Device, Voice, Drum......Kansas DVD.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Has any one seen this yet? I just picked it up last night and wow, it kicks much azz. I can't believe how great they all still sound, I just wish they would have used better film, but that was the effect they were going for.
This space for rent
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

Got it when it first came out, and love it! Phil Ehart has been a rock drummer I have long admired, and this DVD simply solidified my respect for him. Nice range of material from old to more recent and they sound great. Sounds from the making of clips like they aren't planning on doing too much more recording, so this is a really valuable recording. Good stuff!
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

You hit the nail on the head my friend. I'm getting ready to watch it for the third time.
This space for rent
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

If they're not older than Rush then they're in much worse shape! Isn't one overweight and another wearing an eye-patch? :P So yeah, maybe not that many more recordings...
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
Walkinghairball

The overweight one is wearing the eye patch, and shreading his guitar all night long. 8)
Kansas is not Rush by a long shot, but they have written some kickinass tunes.
This space for rent
*Lifesonite

Post by *Lifesonite »

The Wall kicks ass 8) Along with Miracles Out Of Nowhere 8)
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
*Lifesonite

Post by *Lifesonite »

I bet he wears the eyepatch for show and he isn't even missing an eye!! :evil:
-- IFALT
Walkinghairball

The coolest thing is when my band play's "Carry on wayward son", and you see the peoples faces. You just know their going, "Right, your not playing, heywaitaminute, ohmyGodyourreallyplayingthat, ohmyGodnoshitthisissocool"!
Gives me goose bumps. And sometimes I laugh like a little kid. 8)
This space for rent
*Lifesonite

Post by *Lifesonite »

Cool song, do you worry about the harmonies in the intro?
-- IFALT
Walkinghairball

Every time we play it!!
Our vocalist likes to start it after the intro when we rehearse, we hate that. Live our bass player lightly plays the note, and I give the clicks, and we man up and belt it out. I won't say it's been perfect, but even if we chow the intro, we still get great crowd at the end.
This space for rent
*Lifesonite

Post by *Lifesonite »

You must do the harmonies! It's much more powerful that way, tell him to man up spend some time at practice doing it ;) It's probably the hardest part of the song unless a band is really good at that type of thing.
-- IFALT
Walkinghairball

No, he just limp's it in rehearsal only. Live it is pretty good because all 5 of us sing. Only 3 of us are primary vocals. The two guitar players do back-up's on about 25-30% of the list. I do lead vocals on 4 of the songs.
Heres our list so far...
AH LEAH… DONNY IRIS
ALL OF MY LOVE… LED ZEPPELIN
ARE YOU GONNA GO MY WAY… LENNY KRAVITZ 8)
BACK ON THE ROAD AGAIN… REO SPEEDWAGON
BAD CASE OF LOVING YOU… ROBERT PALMER
BEER DRINKERS AND HELL RAISERS… ZZ TOP 8)
BIG BALLS… AC/DC
BIG CITY NIGHTS… SCORPIONS
BOOM-BOOM, OUT GO THE LIGHTS… PAT TRAVERS
BREAKING THE LAW… JUDAS PRIEST
CARRY ON WAYWARD SON… KANSAS
DON’T TELL ME YOU LOVE ME… NIGHT RANGER
DREAMS I’LL NEVER SEE… MOLLY HATCHET
EMPTY SPACES/YOUNG LUST… PINK FLOYD 8)
ENTER SANDMAN… METALLICA
EVERY ROSE HAS IT’S THORN… POISON
FAR BEHIND…CANDLEBOX
FEEL YOUR LOVE…VAN HALEN
FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS… METALLICA
GONE, GONE, GONE… BAD COMPANY
GREEN EYED LADY… SUGARLOAF
HIGHWAY STAR… DEEP PURPLE
KRYPTONITE… 3 DOORS DOWN
LAZY… DEEP PURPLE
LITTLE DREAMER… VAN HALEN
MAMA LET HIM PLAY… DOUCETTE
NEIGHBOR… UGLY KID JOE
NIGHT PROWLER… AC/DC
ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY… GREAT WHITE
ROADHOUSE BLUES… THE DOORS
ROCK AND ROLL ALL NITE… KISS 8)
ROCK AND ROLL… LED ZEPPELIN
ROCK ME… GREAT WHITE
ROCKIN INTO THE NIGHT… .38 SPECIAL
ROLLER… APRIL WINE
SAD BUT TRUE… METALLICA
SIN CITY… AC/DC
SPOOKY… ATLANTA RHYTHM SECTION
STEALIN… URIAH HEAP
SULTANS OF SWING… DIRE STRAITS
THE BOY’S ARE BACK IN TOWN… THIN LIZZY
THE ZOO… SCORPIONS
TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS… STYX
TURN UP THE RADIO… AUTOGRAPH
WALK ALL OVER YOU… AC/DC
WALK THIS WAY… AEROSMITH
WOMAN FROM TOKYO… DEEP PURPLE
WOMEN… FOREIGNEER
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

thats really cool hairball, you guys play quite arange
Walkinghairball

Here in Spokane the music scene is a strange one. Kareoke and dj's are killing live music, because it's cheeper. My band has been together for just over 11 years, and a few member changes. At one time we had a 90 song list. We tried a bunch of "newer" music, and I think the younger crowd thought, "look at the geezers trying to be young". Not that we couldn't do it, we played the poo out of that list, it just wasn't true to OUR classic rock roots. So yes the list is all over the range and spectrum, but this band has a collective 90 years of live playing experience, and I am the youngest member at almost 37.

We like to use the tag line: "Welcome to American Idol, wheelchair division"! :lol: :lol: :lol:
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

i noticed the newer stuff, and i figured it was to try and be broad, play for everyone i suppose, and DJ's are evil, lets assassinate them :lol: