By-Tor.com Forum Index By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here Again (new ep speculation)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ogg

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Here Again (new ep speculation) Reply with quote

Incredulous to think that Rush may be releasing an ep of either older material or, gulp...covers! "but Rush never do covers!" I hear you wail, My thoughts exactly so I'm guessing it will feature older tracks, maybe even a debut reworking with Mr Peart at the helm...overplaying like an overplaying thing.
I've wasted whole minutes speculating as to what I would like to hear redone...always thought that 'Natural Science' on RIRio was amazing so hopefully it will feature, yeh right. 'Resist' simply has to be included.
Your thoughts please.

Last edited by Ogg on Thu May 13, 2004 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Bill

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like they never do covers cause hey did one at the SARS concert (Paint It Black), but I think that was a very rare treat and it was done in tribute to The Stones for their years of recording and touring and more importantly it was Rush's way of saying thanks for helping their home town. Very exceptional circumstances.

I can see one or two new songs or older stuff re-recorded - absolutely. But covers? No. Why would a major headline act do that? Could you see Yes doing The Spirit of Radio or Page and Plant gettin' together to rip out 2112? No. It's a very silly rumour. I hope! Rolling Eyes

Still, a new tune would be fantastic. Let's hope.
by-tor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still would like to see them do The Who's Baba O'Reilly.
Kares4Rush

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Geddy saying a million years ago that if Rush ever did a cover he'd like to do "The Who."

A birdy said there was a Zep cover on it but who knows? All will come to light next month.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
wcp

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't care what it is but if it has something new on there i am happy!
i would love to hear a Who cover! hahaha i'm excited.
"John Rutsey, who was a viking then, Geddy, who wasn't a viking and myself formed the band as it isn't today to patrol war-torn areas of the Middle-East and to incurr as many debts as possible. This we did with a passion."
- Alex Lifeson
Ogg

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"but Rush never do covers!"

...and I just knew someone was bound to point out 'Paint it Black'. Thankyou oh so pedantic Mr Bill Wink More than aware of it's existence after watching the Sars show many many times.

Anyway, that's it for me. Four days off work, too much time spent on the pc but I have enjoyed my numerous visits. Still awaiting delivery of the bootleg first Neil live show (just sent enquiring email) but news as I get it.
Night, Ogg.

Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bill wrote:
But covers? No. Why would a major headline act do that?

Major acts often do covers. It's an old blues tradition, a way of paying tribute to other musicians. On RIR, during Alex's rant, they play several bars of an old Stan Getz tune, "The Girl from Ipanema." Alex is having fun with it, but the fact that he and Geddy both pull it off show their familiarity with it. When I saw them in Kansas City last tour (where I won't be able to afford to see them this time around Evil or Very Mad ), Alex played licks from David Gilmour during one of his solos and also threw in a few bars of "Kansas City here I Come."

I would love to hear some covers from Rush. I would pay good money to hear Geddy singing "Elephant Talk" from King Crimson or something by Emerson Lake and Palmer.
Mr. Bill

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Major acts often do covers. It's an old blues tradition, a way of paying tribute to other musicians.

Bull!!!! It's a way to fill a show and make money.

It's gratifying to see that Clapton has finally acknowledged Robert Johnson - cause it seems no one else did. Old Blues musicians have been ripped off more than Canadian taxpayers.

Hey Ogg, I'll try not to be so painful in the future. I'd hate to clog that vast expanse of a brain of yours with everyday babble.

Note to self - tell Ogg somehing new! Laughing Laughing Laughing
*Lifesonite

Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, it's not like Rush has to fill a show, they've got plenty of material Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
awip2062

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Lifesonite wrote:
Hehe, it's not like Rush has to fill a show, they've got plenty of material Wink

I agree. IF Rush do covers, it would not be for filler for either LP or show; it would be in respect of those they covered.
*Lifesonite

Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thas right, and you can buy it if you want Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Bill

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see Geddy wanting to pay tribute to Big Johnny Twinkle. "Won't Get Fooled Again" perhaps? Just like yesterday.

I can see Alex playing tribute to Jimmy. Love to hear HOTH. Something light hearted - not Kashmir or anything epic. Not sure Ged would handle the blues numbers very well. Maybe.

I can also see Neil saying "you guys are nuts"!!! Laughing

Live as a total surprise only. Please.

Hey Ogg!!! UFO's were filmed in Mexico yesterday. Hopefully the BBC ignored that story as rubbish and you don't know! Wink
EndlesslyRocking

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it was going to be a tribute EP to A Flock of Seagulls...
Mr. Bill

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There we go...
Ogg

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bill wrote:
Hey Ogg, I'll try not to be so painful in the future. I'd hate to clog that vast expanse of a brain of yours with everyday babble.

Note to self - tell Ogg somehing new!

Mr. Bill wrote:
Hey Ogg!!! UFO's were filmed in Mexico yesterday. Hopefully the BBC ignored that story as rubbish and you don't know!

Lmao! Many thanks Mr Bill. I do hope you realised that my tongue was firmly ensconced within cheek? Wink Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       By-Tor.com Forum Index -> Rush Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: