Here Again (new ep speculation)

All Rush, all the time

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

Here Again (new ep speculation)

Post by Ogg »

Incredulous to think that Rush may be releasing an ep of either older material or, gulp...covers! "but Rush never do covers!" I hear you wail, My thoughts exactly so I'm guessing it will feature older tracks, maybe even a debut reworking with Mr Peart at the helm...overplaying like an overplaying thing.
I've wasted whole minutes speculating as to what I would like to hear redone...always thought that 'Natural Science' on RIRio was amazing so hopefully it will feature, yeh right. 'Resist' simply has to be included.
Your thoughts please.
Last edited by Ogg on Thu May 13, 2004 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

It's not like they never do covers cause hey did one at the SARS concert (Paint It Black), but I think that was a very rare treat and it was done in tribute to The Stones for their years of recording and touring and more importantly it was Rush's way of saying thanks for helping their home town. Very exceptional circumstances.

I can see one or two new songs or older stuff re-recorded - absolutely. But covers? No. Why would a major headline act do that? Could you see Yes doing The Spirit of Radio or Page and Plant gettin' together to rip out 2112? No. It's a very silly rumour. I hope! :roll:

Still, a new tune would be fantastic. Let's hope.
Living One Long Sunrise
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

I still would like to see them do The Who's Baba O'Reilly.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

I remember Geddy saying a million years ago that if Rush ever did a cover he'd like to do "The Who."

A birdy said there was a Zep cover on it but who knows? All will come to light next month.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
wcp

Post by wcp »

i don't care what it is but if it has something new on there i am happy!
i would love to hear a Who cover! hahaha i'm excited.
"John Rutsey, who was a viking then, Geddy, who wasn't a viking and myself formed the band as it isn't today to patrol war-torn areas of the Middle-East and to incurr as many debts as possible. This we did with a passion."
- Alex Lifeson
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

"but Rush never do covers!"
...and I just knew someone was bound to point out 'Paint it Black'. Thankyou oh so pedantic Mr Bill :wink: More than aware of it's existence after watching the Sars show many many times.

Anyway, that's it for me. Four days off work, too much time spent on the pc but I have enjoyed my numerous visits. Still awaiting delivery of the bootleg first Neil live show (just sent enquiring email) but news as I get it.
Night, Ogg.
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

Mr. Bill wrote: But covers? No. Why would a major headline act do that?
Major acts often do covers. It's an old blues tradition, a way of paying tribute to other musicians. On RIR, during Alex's rant, they play several bars of an old Stan Getz tune, "The Girl from Ipanema." Alex is having fun with it, but the fact that he and Geddy both pull it off show their familiarity with it. When I saw them in Kansas City last tour (where I won't be able to afford to see them this time around :evil: ), Alex played licks from David Gilmour during one of his solos and also threw in a few bars of "Kansas City here I Come."

I would love to hear some covers from Rush. I would pay good money to hear Geddy singing "Elephant Talk" from King Crimson or something by Emerson Lake and Palmer.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

Major acts often do covers. It's an old blues tradition, a way of paying tribute to other musicians.
Bull!!!! It's a way to fill a show and make money.

It's gratifying to see that Clapton has finally acknowledged Robert Johnson - cause it seems no one else did. Old Blues musicians have been ripped off more than Canadian taxpayers.

Hey Ogg, I'll try not to be so painful in the future. I'd hate to clog that vast expanse of a brain of yours with everyday babble.

Note to self - tell Ogg somehing new! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Living One Long Sunrise
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Hehe, it's not like Rush has to fill a show, they've got plenty of material :wink:
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*Lifesonite wrote:Hehe, it's not like Rush has to fill a show, they've got plenty of material :wink:
I agree. IF Rush do covers, it would not be for filler for either LP or show; it would be in respect of those they covered.
Onward and Upward!
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Thas right, and you can buy it if you want :P
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

I could see Geddy wanting to pay tribute to Big Johnny Twinkle. "Won't Get Fooled Again" perhaps? Just like yesterday.

I can see Alex playing tribute to Jimmy. Love to hear HOTH. Something light hearted - not Kashmir or anything epic. Not sure Ged would handle the blues numbers very well. Maybe.

I can also see Neil saying "you guys are nuts"!!! :lol:

Live as a total surprise only. Please.

Hey Ogg!!! UFO's were filmed in Mexico yesterday. Hopefully the BBC ignored that story as rubbish and you don't know! :wink:
Living One Long Sunrise
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

I heard it was going to be a tribute EP to A Flock of Seagulls...
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

There we go...
Living One Long Sunrise
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Mr. Bill wrote:Hey Ogg, I'll try not to be so painful in the future. I'd hate to clog that vast expanse of a brain of yours with everyday babble.

Note to self - tell Ogg somehing new!
Mr. Bill wrote:Hey Ogg!!! UFO's were filmed in Mexico yesterday. Hopefully the BBC ignored that story as rubbish and you don't know!
Lmao! Many thanks Mr Bill. I do hope you realised that my tongue was firmly ensconced within cheek? :wink: :D