The Death Penalty

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

schuette

The Death Penalty

Post by schuette »

Before I say what I think about it I was wondering what you all had to think about the death penalty. I was watching a film last night where it said that 66% of Americans agree with it.........I know it was just a film but it left me wondering......
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

In a lot of cases, I think the death penalty is waaaaaay to easy on the criminal. The only changes I would make to the laws for capital crimes today would be that you had to have hard evidence to convict. Something like DNA, video of the crime, etc. And fuck this, 'oh, you can't put the convicted murdering child molestor to death in the electric chair, that would be cruel'. Cruel, schmuel. Put me alone in the room with these guys, and give me a baseball bat. I'll think about being cruel with every swing...like how cruel it was for the victims to suffer.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
schuette

Post by schuette »

by-tor wrote:And fuck this, 'oh, you can't put the convicted murdering child molestor to death in the electric chair, that would be cruel'.
some folk really say that :shock:
I have to agree with you by-tor (shock horror) but if someone touches any of my kids I would want to deal with them myself.......believe me they would be wishing for the chair after I had my way with them!
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

schuette wrote:
by-tor wrote:And fuck this, 'oh, you can't put the convicted murdering child molestor to death in the electric chair, that would be cruel'.
some folk really say that :shock:
That's why in most all states with the death penalty here, we don't do things like hanging, firing squad, gas chamber, or electric chair (I think Utah is the only state left where they'll kill put you to death in ways other than lethal injection). Some people thought it was 'cruel and unusual', which the U.S. Constitution protects against. Of course, what most of these bleeding hearts don't think about is that when the 'cruel and unusual' part was written into the Constitution more than 200 years ago, beheading wasn't even considered cruel.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

I am against the death penalty on principle in all cases.

And yes I've had a close family member murdered, and I still feel that way.

I understand the emotions behind supporting the death penalty, but I simply cannot morally justify its use.

JMHO
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

But how do you feel about baseball bats to the kneecaps? 8)
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

They should at least have something taken away for life imprisonment. Confined to a wheel-chair. For life. Oh my :shock:
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I, persoanlly, am against the death penalty as I think it brings you down to their level.

However, I think the best thing to do is repeal the death penalty but don't tell the public. That way, you can have the condemmed felon make that long walk and be strapped in or whatever thousands of times, always getting a last minute stay of execution. Can you imagine the mental suffering that will cause?
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

Another reason to be pro-death penalty.

Kill a raping, murdering scum by lethal injection...cost to the taxpayers : minimal

Give a raping, murdering scum life in prison, without the possibility of parole...cost to the taxpayers : $65,000 a year for the rest of the scum's life.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I am pro.

It seems that someone now thinks that lethal injectins is at times cruel and unusual punishment too and is trying to ged it tossed out as well. :roll:
Onward and Upward!
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

by-tor wrote:Another reason to be pro-death penalty.

Kill a raping, murdering scum by lethal injection...cost to the taxpayers : minimal

Give a raping, murdering scum life in prison, without the possibility of parole...cost to the taxpayers : $65,000 a year for the rest of the scum's life.
Not so. A prisoner of death row costs the taxpayer more than they would spending their life in prison. This is because convicts who have been sentenced to die are, quite rightly, entitled to unlimited appeals.

Oh, and don't you think financial costs are a thoroughly inhuman, inhumane reason to decide either for or against killing people?
EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

by-tor wrote:But how do you feel about baseball bats to the kneecaps? 8)
Now that's a policy I can get behind!

:twisted:
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

Devil's Advocate wrote:Not so. A prisoner of death row costs the taxpayer more than they would spending their life in prison. This is because convicts who have been sentenced to die are, quite rightly, entitled to unlimited appeals.
If someone is convicted at 25, and would live to be 65 if sentenced to life in prison, that would be about $2.6 million cost to the taxpayers. Whereas if that same person is put to death after 7 years on death row, he doesn't come near that cost. And they're not allowed unlimited appeals...if that was the case, no one would ever be put to death...they would just keep appealing. There's only so far you can go in the court system.
Devil's Advocate wrote:Oh, and don't you think financial costs are a thoroughly inhuman, inhumane reason to decide either for or against killing people?
Nope. If the conditions are met in my original post (DNA evidence, video of the crime, etc.), that leaves no doubt that the person is guilty, so why should the taxpayers have to support the criminal? How would you feel knowing that some of the taxes you're paying are going to support the psycho who targeted and killed your child? Knowing that your money was being spent to give him air conditioning and cable T.V.?
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

How about returning Australia to its original purpose and leaving them there to rot?
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Two reasons for the death penalty:

1. It is the only true insurance that the perpetrator never does it again.

2. In certain religions (not mine) it believed that if you do murder, the only way your repentance can be complete (or accepted by God) is if your own blood is spilled. Not only should the death penalty be kept, but the firing squad should remain an option to the condemned.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?