By-Tor.com Forum Index By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What album got you started on Rush?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D'Anconia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: What album got you started on Rush? Reply with quote

Moving Pictures for me. After Signals came out I was a Rush nut.

"...from here in Oregon, where we are far too stupid to dispense our own gasoline." Neil Peart
PV
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first heard Rush when I was 11, summer of 1978. My best friend, Daniel (who lives in Buffalo all you western New Yorkers!) played Closer To The Heart for me. I was hooked! Went home and bought everything I could get my hands on. When I finally got Permanent Waves, and I heard Natural Science, it was true love.

But I didn't get to see Rush in concert until Signals, the night before my 16th birthday. Nice gift. Cool
funky cm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signals was my first Rush album. Worked backwards from there, then looked forward to every new release afterwards.
You Bet Your Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test For Echo. Rare stuff in this parts. A friend of mine bought it but thought it was to mediocre to pass in his regiment. Confused

But alas, I have lost the cassete. Melted in my boss' van. Sad
3 travelers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemispheres is the culprit here.... I must have been the only 6 year old listening to Rush back then. Now being 32... it's still one of my favourites.
Kares4Rush

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATWAS!!!! It had been out a while already but my old boyfriend thought it was a good representation of the band.

I was blown away by the first notes of Bastille Day. It still gives me goosebumps when I hear it. Buying my precious Permanent Waves and Natural Science (like PV) is probably the most precious thing I've bought in my life.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Slaine mac Roth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I ever heard was Hemispheres and, I must confess, I hated it due to it being a really poor quality copy (no bass, half the guitar, only Neil's cymbals and Geddy's vocals seeming about 3 octaves higher than usual and more static than you used to get on Radio Caroline). However, about three weeks later, my sister bought a copy of 2112 and I was hooked, especially since Spirit of Radio was released afew weeks later.

(Incidentally, once I heard Hemispheres properly, I totally changed my opinion).
EndlesslyRocking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving Pictures for me.

I was in high school at the time, and hadn't really heard anything else of theirs except for The Spirit of Radio. Moving Pictures was one of the very first albums I bought with my own money.
awip2062

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my Ged, ER, mine too. It was in my first set of LPs from Columbia House and then I went to see them in concert that year for my first rock gig.
ladirushfan80

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moving pictures was my first ....
i have been hooked...line and sinker ever since!
i remember there was a rock station many moons ago that would play albums in their entirety at 11pm on saturdays.... they would start with one band (lets say...RUSH) and every saturday night, they would play the whole album,and continue this every saturday night until they played all the albums the artist had out.... i made it a point to be there listening....blank tape in hand, ready to record all the albums i could... i may still have one or two of those tapes lurking in the basement..... happy8
3 travelers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladirushfan80 wrote:
moving pictures was my first ....
i have been hooked...line and sinker ever since!
i remember there was a rock station many moons ago that would play albums in their entirety at 11pm on saturdays.... they would start with one band (lets say...RUSH) and every saturday night, they would play the whole album,and continue this every saturday night until they played all the albums the artist had out.... i made it a point to be there listening....blank tape in hand, ready to record all the albums i could... i may still have one or two of those tapes lurking in the basement..... happy8
We re-re-re-meet again Ladi!!! I have one question.... what other things you got lurkin' in the basement??? Twisted Evil
Slaine mac Roth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I never find out.
Fridge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATWAS
Ogg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Moving Pictures' for me. I travelled backwards in time and delved into 2112 before buying the remainder of the back catalogue. Like some one allready said'and every album on the release date since.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the album? Exit, Stage Left. the song? Spirit of Radio. good stuff, man.

carolynn Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic       By-Tor.com Forum Index -> Rush Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: