Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

psupower

Symphony X

Post by psupower »

Any symphony X fans out there?
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Cant say I've heard of them. perhaps a description and/or links may help? :-) .
psupower

Post by psupower »

Ogg wrote:Cant say I've heard of them. perhaps a description and/or links may help? :-) .

Michael Pinnella - Keyboards, Backing Vocals
Russell Allen - Vocals
Michael Romeo - Electric, Acoustic And Classical Guitars, Sitar, Mini-Harp, Backing Vocals
Thomas Miller - Bass, Backing Vocals
Tom Walling - Drums

Of all of the various Progressive Metal bands that have sprung up over the past decade or so, no other that I have heard articulates the archetypal nature of the genre better than SYMPHONY X. Sure, DREAM THEATER may have been the spark that lit the flame of the Progressive Metal movement in the '90s, but SYMPHONY X is the one band that exemplifies the base nature of the genre in almost every way. The vocals often approach the falsetto breaking point, technically stunning guitar and keyboard unisons are the norm rather than the exception and mythology-influenced lyrical motifs are present and accounted for. Some might contend that most Progressive Metal is often no more than a mere synthesis of the gaudier elements of Power Metal with the technical chops of the Neo-Classical Speed Metal movement and in the case of SYMPHONY X that description is certainly apt.

So to continue on that train of thought, if SYMPHONY X is the archetypal Progressive Metal band, then I would contend that "Twilight In Olympus" then would be the archetypal Progressive Metal album. If I were to describe the genre in all of its highs and lows while making reference to only one album, this would be it. Sir Russell Allen, love him or hate him, goes on a tear. Romeo and Pinella's solo duels, unisons and interplay are unparalleled by any other guitar/keyboard duo in Prog Metal. The shameless twee of "Church Of The Machine" never fails to illicit a few chuckles on my part. Everything from the fade-in vocal over-dub that opens the song to the to the cheesy Jens Johansson-esque harpsichord synth lead that makes an appearance a few times throughout the song just reeks of Progressive cheese and I absolutely love it.

"Twilight In Olympus" offers up pure Neo-Classical excess. Although not quite RHAPSODY, they do come close with some of the lyrical themes. A well-executed rendition of Beethoven's "Sonata #8 In C Minor" is used as an intro to "In The Dragon's Den". Here Allen's singing could break glass and the lyrics about being "lost in the dragons den" are completely mint. Again, the instrumentation is stellar in all respects (I especially enjoy Miller's bass and how he manages to still sound active among the frenzy of the Romeo/Pinella lead assault). And then, there's the mandatory long-form song to be found on all significant Progressive Metal releases. "Through The Looking Glass" is a thirteen-minute, three-part track that I consider the high point of the album. Romeo's first solo is probably his best on the album just in terms of placement, as it transitions into a soft, melodic piano section that contrasts beautifully with the hard-edged shredding. Slower on the main than the rest of the album, the long-form composition is undoubtedly SYMPHONY X's strength (the title tracks from the albums "The Divine Wings Of Tragedy" and "The Odyssey" also are perfect examples of this). Oftentimes in Prog Metal, ballads sound forced, cheesy, or insincere. Thankfully the final track of the album "Lady Of The Snow" manages to avoid this all-to-common failing. Allen sounds emotive, sincere and genuine and the song (and album) are better for it.

Let's face it, most everybody knows if they like this kind of music or not. High-flying bombast, pretentious lyrical themes and outstanding musicianship are par for the course and greatly appreciated on my part as a huge fan of the genre. Guitarists should pick this up if only to hear one of the most under-rated guitarists in Metal tear it up and fans of DREAM THEATER couldn't choose a better place to branch off if in search of other Prog Metal artists. Very solid and lots of fun. (Online November 26, 2003)

A GREAT BAND, OGG!!! GOOD MUSICANSHIP, A LOT LIKE RUSH
psupower

Post by psupower »

So I guess we don't have any Symphony X fans here :roll:

Seriously, give this group a shot, I believe u will not be disappointed...They even have 3 long epic songs..

Michael Romeo " guitarist " participated in The Working Man Tribute..
" Summer's going fast, nights growing colder
Children growing up, old friends growing older
Freeze this moment a little bit longer
Make each impression a little bit stronger "
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Well, they can't say you didn't try ;)
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
psupower

Post by psupower »

*Lifesonite wrote:Well, they can't say you didn't try ;)

8)
" Summer's going fast, nights growing colder
Children growing up, old friends growing older
Freeze this moment a little bit longer
Make each impression a little bit stronger "
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Old thread...but I must say, Symphony X are one of my all time favorite bands. The pure epic feel of their music is, in my opinion, unmatched by anyone. Romeo is one helluva guitarist too. In fact, each member has alot of talent at his respective instrument.

My favorite album, it's tough to choose, but it's either The Divine Wings Of Tragedy or The Odyssey. The title track of The Odyssey is unbelievable, I have honestly never heard a song with such depth and an overall epic feel like it has.
barney_rebel

Post by barney_rebel »

I borrowed a copy of the latest album from a buddy of mine and I liked it a lot. One band they do sound like is Kamelot. I like the synth sound with metal... pretty cool.
He's a rebel and a runner
He's a signal turning green
By-Tor2112

Post by By-Tor2112 »

Yes. I am a new fan of them. I heard about them for the 1st time on the Dream Theater message board and checked them out. I recommend them.
"The things that we're concealing will never let us grow, time will do it's healing, you've got to let it go"- Open Secret

By-Tor
Mechanix

Post by Mechanix »

The college station here pumps out Symphony X on occasion. I like what I've heard.
The sun is still a rumor
And the night is still a threat
By-Tor2112

Post by By-Tor2112 »

:-D I got a chance to see them live at the Gigantour in Detroit area at DTE. They really rocked and got to meet them while they autographed my new cd. They are a great prog metal band, very talented
"The things that we're concealing will never let us grow, time will do it's healing, you've got to let it go"- Open Secret

By-Tor
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Bear got a Gigantour CD set and he is now totally into Symphony X, and truthfully, I have been enjoying them when he plays the CD in the van.
Onward and Upward!
schuette

Post by schuette »

this thread confused me...easily done :razz: .......the name psupower was a name I never heard of but he posted when i wasnt online (back in 2004) so that explained that.......Kevin a name I sort of remembered....sorry if you read this but you should have kept posting...by-tor2112...how dare someone try to take the name of our own red neck shit of a man!.......Mechanix there was head-banging man :-D

and no I've still never heard of the band :-D