don't

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

rushlight wrote: I bet you'll like Chicago
I always preferred Toto, but they're all a bit too middle-of-the-road for my tastes....
and not because of the music but for the women in little black dresses and especially what the lead can do with a chair. :wink:
I won't even ask. :shock:
happysmilies007

Post by happysmilies007 »

SHD wrote:do you know moonlight sonata happy?
nopes, but i played a duet called Moldau (i know, i know, sounds like mildew) & the secondo part sounds a lot like it. may i ask why?
t wrote:Dovey plays songs like Matchmaker from The Fiddler on the Roof, and some kids songs, and some contemporary Christian songs. She is in the keys of F, C, and G, simple arrangements, since she started in January.
omg, Matchmaker is the funniest song! i've only seen the movie once & never quite found it to my taste, but that song was a crackup! tell her to stick with it, even though my mom made me take lessons for 3 yrs, i love to just sit down & play. it's very rewarding!
t wrote:Schu, ged a keyboard and do it!
good advice!! it's not hard to learn at all!

carolynn :evil:
"What do I do when we're not taping? Sit in a dark room and refine my plans for someday ruling Earth from a blimp. And chess." --Ryan Stiles .. brought to you by the letter 3!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

It is a funny song. My family loves the whole movie. Itzak does some great violin in it, and Topol's singing is good too.
Dovey wants to switch to violin soon. We will see. We have one her size and her teacher can teach it as well, soooo....
Onward and Upward!
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

I have never played the piano, even though it is also considered a percussion instrument. I played snare drum, bass drum, auxilary, and mallet percussion in high school. Neil was a very good influence on me when I was in the band. The closest thing to playing something like piano was the xylophone and the bells. And I enjoyed playing the classic stuff during concert season. :-)
I love my Welshman.
happysmilies007

Post by happysmilies007 »

awip2062 wrote:It is a funny song. My family loves the whole movie. Itzak does some great violin in it, and Topol's singing is good too.
Dovey wants to switch to violin soon. We will see. We have one her size and her teacher can teach it as well, soooo....
Dovey is a really pretty name! i always wanted to play the violin, i wish i could've at least had one to play around with. i hope she gets to have fun with it!
rushlight wrote:I have never played the piano, even though it is also considered a percussion instrument. I played snare drum, bass drum, auxilary, and mallet percussion in high school. Neil was a very good influence on me when I was in the band. The closest thing to playing something like piano was the xylophone and the bells. And I enjoyed playing the classic stuff during concert season.
sounds like you've got percussion covered, rushlight! the xylophone is such a neato instrument, it can sound creepy & soothing, depending on how you're playing it!

carolynn :evil:
"What do I do when we're not taping? Sit in a dark room and refine my plans for someday ruling Earth from a blimp. And chess." --Ryan Stiles .. brought to you by the letter 3!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Another good one is West Side Story... particularly when the singing stops and the orchestration takes over. Bernstein wrote some amazing stuff for that show.

I really like Phantom as well, though I haven't been able to listen to it for a few years because of feelings of association.

Anybody here ever notice that Andrew L. Webber ripped off the main theme for Phantom from Rick Wakeman?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

The homeschool band did West Side Story last spring. It was good.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:The homeschool band did West Side Story last spring. It was good.
Cool!

My dughter's school is going to put on the play this year. I'm looking forward to see how they pull it off. :)
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Oh, I hope they do it well!
Onward and Upward!