Formula 1

Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, it's all here

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

schuette

Post by schuette »

CygnusX1 wrote:Personally, I enjoy the engines rattling the shit out of me at a NASCAR track, but I'm warming up to F1.

They're whiny and cute.....like a chihuahua. :lol:
believe me when your up close to a race they are certainly not whiny!...jet engine springs to mind which is why till your used to it ear plugs definately help

also what you dont hear on the telly is the backfiring...man its loud when they're going into the pit
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I need to catch a F1 race this year. I don't buy the hype, but I am willing to conform. :lol:
This space for rent
schuette

Post by schuette »

American team planning 2010 championship entry
Plans have been officially announced for a new, American Formula One team, who hope to be on the grid for the start of the 2010 season. The project, led by F1 veterans Peter Windsor and Ken Anderson, will be based in Charlotte, North Carolina, with European satellite facilities likely to be located in Spain.

The team say their mission is ?to prove that American technology, American drivers and the American competitive spirit can compete and win on the F1 global stage?.

Though the team have yet to make any firm decisions on drivers or engine supply, they plan to take full advantage of Formula One racing?s latest cost-cutting measures, which they believe will help them to take a new and highly efficient approach to running an F1 operation.

"If you look at the way it has gone in the recent past, it has been to find an incredibly rich trillionaire and have him dominate the team - and you are lucky enough to get a job when you've put the team together," said Windsor in a press conference announcing the project. "Or you are lucky enough to be invited by a large car company to set up an F1 team for them.

?Ken and I are lucky enough to have been around long enough not to want to do either of those things - and we always wanted to do our own team our way. It perhaps sounds very arrogant, but we have some history and we have some things that we want to bring into the sport that we think we can do well."

Windsor and Anderson claim to have plans in place to raise the necessary capital, part of which has come through securing a small equity partner for the team.

"The key was not selling anything more than a very small stake in the team, so we set some unbelievably steep hills to climb in the recession," said Windsor. "We wanted to sell off a small part of the team and, as we sit here now, we have done that.

"We are two guys who can say we want to do an F1 team because we have the capital to do it, and to some extent the recession has helped us a little bit. We have always had a very different approach - and that approach will become visible as this year unfolds."

The recent ban on in-season testing, plus the high number of Grands Prix outside Europe, also means that Windsor and Anderson are not expecting the team?s unusual location to present any major logistical problems.

"Most of the technology in F1 comes from the US to begin with, and on the logistics side, this year less than half the races take place on the (European) continent so there is less reason for being there," said Anderson. "And the cost of doing business in the US is significantly lower than in Europe - and there are lots of good people here."

British-born Windsor, a former Williams team manager and best known of late as a Formula One commentator on US television, will take on the position of sporting director, while American engineer Anderson, recently responsible for the highly-acclaimed Windshear wind tunnel facility in North Carolina, will reprise the technical director role he previously held with the Ligier Formula One team back in the 1980s
schuette

Post by schuette »

USF1 asked to change name
The USF1 team, hoping to make the grid by 2010, has been asked by Formula One Management (FOM) to change its name. The team, with Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor at the helm, was sent the request by Bernie Ecclestone's company after introducing themselves to the world at SpeedTV's headquarters in Charlotte, North Carolina, two weeks ago.

From now on, the squad will be labelled as USGPE (US Grand Prix Engineering); FOM, its logo seen in the corner of all F1 television broadcasts, claims that it objects to the use of the abbreviation 'F1' in the American team's name and should remain solely as a mark of the sport itself.

Force India's logo is set to change
Renault, Force India and Toyota all use the acronym in their full names although FOM claims that this is accepted as the word 'team' follows it. Williams, on the other hand, uses the title 'WilliamsF1' as its official trading name.

Force India has also made minor modifications to its logo following a communication from FOM; the 'FI' section of the artwork was deemed too similar to 'F1', and will now include a dot above the second letter.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Does F1 (on average) pay drivers more than NASCAR per race?
I was wondering about the pay disparity...

Seems that NASCAR drivers would pounce on a opportunity to drive a F1
ride.

There's a ongoing dispute that F1/INDY drivers can drive NASCARS, but
NASCAR drivers can't drive F1/IndyCars well.

With what I've seen the last couple of years in NASCAR, Hornish and
Montoya are not getting it done in NASCAR, so I have to disagree with
that proposal.

To be fair though, Montoya is faring far better than Hornish. Montoya won
NASCAR's Mexico City race, but it wasn't for points. He's also gotten a
couple of decent finishes on ovals. Hornish just plain sucks.

Just my two cents.
Don't start none...won't be none.
schuette

Post by schuette »

I dont know about the other teams but for Ferrari
Massa is believed to earn about $11m, which is dwarfed by the at least $30m earned by his team-mate, the 2007 champion Kimi Raikkonen, who finished this year's championship in third place.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

schuette wrote:I dont know about the other teams but for Ferrari
Massa is believed to earn about $11m, which is dwarfed by the at least $30m earned by his team-mate, the 2007 champion Kimi Raikkonen, who finished this year's championship in third place.
In 2008, the top-earning NASCAR drivers make more money off the
racetrack than on it.

Jeff Gordon, the sport's all-time leading money winner, made $32 million
over the last year; $17 million came from endorsements and royalties on
merchandise, and $15 million came from his salary and race winnings.

Dale Earnhardt Jr., the second-highest earner at $31 million, made
$21 million from licensing and endorsement income from the likes of
PepsiCo (nyse: PEP - news - people ), Anheuser-Busch (nyse: BUD -
news - people ) and Adidas (other-otc: ADDDY.PK - news - people ).

Earnhardt's passionate following, which has its origins in his famous
father's career, has translated into an abundance of riches despite his
declining performance (he won six Sprint Cup races in 2004 but only two
since).

H/T to Peter J. Schwartz @ www.forbes.com
schuette

Post by schuette »

F1 drivers...well the top F1 drivers earn more then cuz that amount is just what they get paid to drive..they will also earn more off the circuit as well...

I know that schuey at one time was one of the richest sportsmen in the world
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

schuette wrote:I know that schuey at one time was one of the richest
sportsmen in the world
You're absolutely right!

I will watch more this season since they started broadcasting F1 races on
the Fox Network here!
schuette

Post by schuette »

FOTA held a meeting to 'improve' the show of F1...here's the proposed changes
Key proposals
Technical
2009:

▪ More than 100% increase in mileage per engine (eight engines per driver per season)
▪ Reduction in wind tunnel and CFD (computational fluid dynamics) usage
▪ Engine available at ?8 million per team per season

2010:

▪ Engine available at ?5 million per team per season
▪ Gearbox available at ?1.5 million per team per season
▪ Standardised KERS (put out to tender, with a target price of ?1-2 million per team per season)
▪ Target a further 50% reduction of the 2009 aerodynamic development spend
▪ Specified number of chassis, bodywork and aerodynamic development iterations (homologations) during the season
▪ Prohibition of a wide range of exotic, metallic and composite materials
▪ Standardised telemetry and radio systems

Sporting
2009:

▪ Testing reduction (50%)
▪ New points-scoring system (12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1), to give greater differentiation/reward to grand prix winners
▪ Race starting fuel loads, tyre specifications and refuelling data to be made public

2010:

▪ Commitment to recommend new qualifying format
▪ Radical new points-scoring opportunities (eg, one constructors' championship point to be awarded for the fastest race pit stop)
▪ Further testing reductions (four four-day single-car pre-season tests plus one single-car pre-season shakedown)
▪ Reduction of grand prix duration (250km or a maximum of one hour 40 minutes) pending the approval of the commercial rights holder

Commercial
2009:

▪ Increased data provision for media
▪ Explore means by which the presentation of Formula One action can be more informatively and dynamically presented, common to other sports such as tennis and cricket, to dramatically improve engagement with the public

▪ Nominated senior team spokesman available for TV during grand prix
▪ Commitment to enhance consumer experience via team and FOTA websites
▪ Mandatory driver autograph sessions during grand prix weekends

2010:

▪ Commitment to enhance consumer experience via TV coverage
schuette

Post by schuette »

anyone watching it this weekend...?
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

schuette wrote:anyone watching it this weekend...?

I was planning on sleeping this weekend, but I will try to catch it if I can.
This space for rent
schuette

Post by schuette »

its in australia so i dont know what time that will be there..?
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

schuette wrote:its in australia so i dont know what time that will be there..?
"Australia- land of proud men and nervous sheep!" - Lou Diamond Phillips
schuette

Post by schuette »

same as up north of Scotland :lol:

will you be watching any of the races zed?