Eagles Live in the UK

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Slaine mac Roth

Eagles Live in the UK

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I'm really hyper just at the moment.

Yesterday, me and the wife ordered out tickets to see the Eagles at Twickenham on June 17.

At last, we've both wanted to see them for years.

All I need now is for another Rush tour next year :-D :-D :-D :-D
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
schuette

Post by schuette »

hmmm need to see if they are playing Scotland...
Slaine mac Roth

Eagles UK Tour 2006

06.10.06 - Dublin, Ireland
Venue:? Lansdowne Road
On Sale Now

06.11.06 - Dublin, Ireland
Venue:? Lansdowne Road
On Sale Now

06.13.06 - Birmingham, UK
Venue:? NIA Arena
On Sale Now

06.14.06 - Birmingham, UK
Venue:? NIA Arena
On Sale Now

06.17.06 - London, UK
Venue:? Twickenham Stadium
On Sale Now

06.18.06 - Wembley, UK
Venue:? Wembley Arena
On Sale Now

06.20.06 - Manchester, UK
Venue:? MEN Arena
On Sale Now

06.21.06 - Manchester, UK
Venue:? MEN Arena
On Sale Now

06.23.06 - Glasgow, Scotland
Venue:? Hampden Park Stadium
On Sale Now

06.25.06 - Cardiff, UK
Venue:? Cardiff Millenium Stadium
On Sale Now

Ticket Information
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I do apologise Slaine' but The Eagles leave me cold. My good friend Willow at work love's em and I download him all sorts of stuff including a half hour 70's tv special recently. To each their own an all that mate.
The only benefit I found utilisng an Eagles torrent search was a cool link to a Jethro Tull live concert, filmed at the Hippodrome 77 :-D .
Slaine mac Roth

Ogg wrote:I do apologise Slaine' but The Eagles leave me cold. My good friend Willow at work love's em and I download him all sorts of stuff including a half hour 70's tv special recently. To each their own an all that mate.
The only benefit I found utilisng an Eagles torrent search was a cool link to a Jethro Tull live concert, filmed at the Hippodrome 77 :-D .
No need to apologise, each to their own (I mean, you like Radiohead where I think 'pass me the razor so I can slit my wrist). Its all a matter of taste.

By the way, was the 70s special an audio or video copy and where did you get it from?
schuette

Post by schuette »

Slaine mac Roth wrote:
06.23.06 - Glasgow, Scotland
Venue:? Hampden Park Stadium
On Sale Now
wow....Hampden :shock:
Slaine mac Roth

It was the Eagles on Saturday :-D . The day started at about 9.30 when the in-laws arrived to pick-up James and Mary and drop the two of us in town. After getting my repeat prescription from the Doctors (and getting it filled at the chemists), we got some food for the journey and caught the 10:40 bus to London which got us into London Victoria Bus Station at 2:50. From here, we made our way to Victoria Train Station and, after a quick stop-off, bought a couple of return tickets to Twickenham.

The initial part of the train journey, as far as Clapham Junction where we had to change, passed without incident (Unless you class passing Battersea Power Station, sadly minus a giant pig floating above it ). Upon arriving at Clapham, we crossed over to the correct platform which was packed to the gills with Eagles fans waiting for the Twickenham train. when it finally turned up, it was so full we decided to wait for the next which was due 10 minutes later. By the time this one arrived, the platform had filled arrived again and the train was quite full for the 45 minute journey to Twickenham.

Upon arrival at Twickenham Station, we were presented with a leaflet providing information for getting back to London after the gig (the organisation was fantastic but more on that later). Exiting the station, we had no problem finding our way to the Stadium as there was a constant stream of humanity on both sides of the road (according to the Twickenham web site, the capacity for concerts is around 50,000).

Upon arriving at the venue, we made our way to the correct gate and went inside. Twickenham is one of the biggest sporting venues in the country (being the home of the England Rugby Union Team) and neither of us were pre-pared for quite how big the place is.

At about 5.45, The Dixie Chicks, who were the support band, took the stage for a short set. I suppose the best thing I can say about them is that they were 'inoffensive' - nothing remarkable at all really. They, like most support acts, were hampered by the sound they got - as the stadium was still quite empty during their set, the sound echoed around the cavernous stadium meaning that the vocals in particular were pretty much lost. Fortunately, it was quite a short set and they were finished by about 6.20 although they were given a polite, if not exactly warm, response by the crowd.

It was 7.15 when the Eagles took the stage, still bathed in brilliant sunshine, with Take It Easy which immediately got tyhe crowd in the mood, following it up with Witchy Woman, Peaceful Easy Feeling and Pretty Maids All in a Row - the sort of opening to a set a lot of bands would probably leave to their encore. The sound, which for the Dixie Chicks and been boomy and echoing in such a cavernous setting, was soaked up by the bigger crowd and, as such, onlly needed a little fine tuning as the opening set progressed.

The band were in fine form (even if Joe Walsh's vocals tended to show a little strain during In the City) but, by the time that first set closer The long Run cmae around, the band were in a groove, playing tightly and with precision.

Set Two, following a brief procession of video clips from the band's history (how come Timothy B Schmidt doesn't seem to have aged?) began with a selection of acoustic numbers, some of which (Tequila Sunrise in particular were slightly marred by the over-intrusive horn section.)

However, once the mellow interlude was over, things got rocking with spirited run throughs of Life's Been Good (helmet cam included ), Life in the Fast Land and Heartache Tonight. Throughout all this, Joe Walsh proved himself the star of the show and, more than anything, showed that he is still a great guitarist.

When the encores came around, if Twickenham had had a roof it ould have been torn away by the massed voices that greeted Hotel California. A great run though with some lovely guitar interplay between Walsh and Steuart Smith, who had impressed me throughout the night. Gutsy run throughs of Rocky Mountain Way and Already Gone kept the crowd dancing and singing before the final, emotive finale of Desperado finished a brilliant set.

Complaints (and these really are nit picks) are that I would have liked to have seen Henley's solo tracks Dirty Laundry and All She Wants to Do is Dance replaced by some of the better Eagles stuff that was missed lioke, for example, The Last Resort, Doolin Dalton or Get Over It. In addition, there were times when the horn section's sound did not quite balance and were a little over powering. However, as I said, these are minor quibbles and, all in all, it was a great evening putting The Eagles firmly as the second best live band I've ever seen (behind Rush but ahead of Queen).

The Journey Home

As you can imagine, 50,000 odd people can cause quite a headache when they all decide to head for home and, for me and the wife, getting back to Mansfield was an adventure all in itself.

As we exited the stadium, just after 10, we were greeted by a solid mass of people that were heading in two directions (this isn't counting the very small minority who had brought their own transport). Some of the crowd, upon exiting, turned left and headed for the shuttle buses that were to take them to Richmond underground station (I would hazard a guess of about 1/3, The rest turned right and headed for Twickenham station. With the wisdom of great experience, the police had closed off most of the surrounding roads and had posted mounted officers periodically along the route to guide the crowd. Once the road to the station was reached, the crowd were divided into two - one group who wanted trains to Reading and Ealing were directed to one platform while the majority, who were London bound, were shepherded towards another.

At the platform entrance, a Southern Trains employee was allowing only enough people to fill one train at a time onto the platform. As the trains were departing at 10 muinute intervals, the crowd was moving smoothly and with a minimum of fuss. Even so, it was after 11 before we were able to board the train (it had taken us an hour to move about 3/4 mile) to Clapham Junction where we had to change for Victoria.

The train arrived in Victoria at about 11:45, 15 minutes after the last bus of the evening to mansfield had departed. Not expecting to get there in time for this bus, we had booked seats on the next one departing for Mansfield. The only catch is that this did not leave London until 8:30 in the morning. The plan had been to get somethng to eat (by this time we were starving) and spend the night on the bus station. However, once we had eaten (Burger King was about the only place open), we made our way to the Bus Station only to find that they closed it for the night at about 1am. Undeterred, we decided to head back to the train station and spend the night there only to find that they closed that at 1am also, allowing people who had pre-bought tickets into the station 10 minuted before the train was due.

This left us in quite a quandry as we ha nowhere to spend the night. For a lack of anything better to do, we decided to go for a walk and headed in the direction of The Houses of Parliament and, from there, a little way along the side of the Thames until we reached The Hungerford Bridge which looks amazing at night.

We then walked along the River, past the London Eye, until we reached Westmisnter Bridge, which we crossed and decided to make our way back towards Victoria. By this time, it was getting on for 3am and started looking for somewhere we could settle down until the bus station opened at 5 am. Eventually, we elected upon a series of alcove type things just down the road from the station where Jess was able to grab a couple of hours sleep.

When the bus station opened its doors at 5am, we entered and got some breakfast and, more importantly for me, some coffee. As we had had 3 1/2 hours until the bus was due, we both did our best to get some sleep in the metal seats that are only really good for keeping you awake. It was with great joy that we were able to get on the bus at about 8:15 and both of us slept most of the way home.

So, that's the story and, now I've finished telling it, I'm going to bed because I'm still knackered. Thank god I've put a rest day in for tomorrow.

By the way, it was worth it.
schuette

Post by schuette »

sounds like you definitely had an adventure :cool:

brilliant review of your day as well :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Whoo! Grand review, thanks, Slaine. I think my youngest son, Eagle, would like to see them for the history in them and also to see Walsh play. He enjoys imitating what little Walsh he has heard on his own guitar. Good to know Joe is still laying it out!

:D

It does seem like the night was quite the adventure too. Ah, the memories we acquire.
Onward and Upward!
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

I'm not a big Eagles fan, but Hotel California is a masterful album. They portray Los Angeles as the festering, cancerous sore it is.
Strength and beauty destined to decay
so cut the rose in full bloom.
Till the fearless come and the act is done
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

its cool to see the old timers can still fill a venue of 50,000.
Happy 2015!
schuette

Post by schuette »

see everytime I see the title of this thread I always think for a minute that the Eagles live in the UK.......as in have a house here :lol:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Isn't our language funny? Same four letters, but two different meanings.
Onward and Upward!
schuette

Post by schuette »

it's a bloody stupid language at times!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I think Schu has an opinion on this.
Onward and Upward!