Ogg's Popular Culture Thread

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

Ogg's Popular Culture Thread

Post by Ogg »

I've started several movie threads over the years and they've all died a slow painful death but why fly in the face of tradition...
I cannot pretend that I pay to watch these celluloid treats having had a parrot, wooden leg and a tendency to shout 'Argh me hearties' for some years the now but I would do the movies a disservice if I didnt shout from the rooftops.
Has anyone else seen the oscar winner 'Crash' ? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/ I implore you all to see this. If you do not mind watching foreign language film with subtitles then 'Tsotsi' will generate independant thought http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/ . Adopt your serious face and attempt 'The Constant Gardener' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387131/ (featuring the seriosly hot Rachel Weiss) and as soon as I watch it I hope to recommend the gay cowboy epic 'Brokeback Mountain' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/ if my masculinity allows it.
I'm just as partial to a blockbuster like anyone else but I do prefer a movie that encourages thought and provides an emotional hold. My good woman thinks I should simply 'lighten up', lol.
Anyone?

ps: Do not believe the rumour that I'm downloading the Barbie 'Swan Lake' movie for my friends five year old daughter...I'm far too tough for that :-D .
    Last edited by Ogg on Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 18 times in total.
    schuette

Post by schuette »

do as your good woman tells you 'lighten up' :-D

The films I've watched over the weekend

Nanny McPhee - was watchable...a good family film...Im gonna have to watch it again though as I missed bits of it.

Chicken Little - it was funny..another good family film

Batman Begins - starting to watch it...got halfway through then the kids came in so I just put on a film for them

Zathura - I thought this was brilliant! Watch it.

reviews on films will alter as I get more stoned :-D

Crash was a brilliant film...the actors were all convincing and the storyline was well thought out
    schuette

Post by schuette »

ps....Ogg your siggy is gross :pukeright:
    Walkinghairball
    Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I have felt like doing just that on many occasions.
    This space for rent
    Ogg

Post by Ogg »

schuette wrote:ps....Ogg your siggy is gross :pukeright:
    I do apologise Schu', found it funny in a macabre kinda way. I do hope my newest amuses rather than offends.

I have to defend myself here due to accusations of non-levity. The afore mentioned films are the ones that I redently enjoyed, albeit alone as no one else here will watch them with me.
    The Ogg family's favourite genre is and always will be animated movies. We have a bookcase full of Disney and the like and I consider 'The Incredibles' one of the greatest Ogg family films ever! Not forgetting 'Finding Nemo', 'A Bugs Life', 'Antz' and numerous other cgi animated movies. The new Wallace and Gromit is excellent as is Tim Burton's 'The Corpse Bride' although it's not as good as The 'Nightmare Before Christmas' in my opinion.
    My son downloads japanese animated movies and we have just watched the oscar nominated 'Howls Moving Castle' and 'Spirited Away' by the same animator.
    Cartoons, cant beat em!
    Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I refuse to let this die like myriad others. I demand all members contribute to this just the once. Shame on you my man Hairball for not adding at least one contemporary movie of choice :-) .
    Didnt we once conjure the composite Rush fan? I believe an interest in at least one of the arts was an essential?
    Walkinghairball
    Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Ogg................I could have swore I told Schu to finish Batman.

I don't get much movie time and alla that with the last 4 months living arrangements being in utter limbo.

Trust me, as soon as all my shit is in one bucket, I will get to the cinema.
    This space for rent
    schuette

Post by schuette »

Chicken Little is growing on me :-D

and Ogg it'll take more than your siggy to offend me :-D
    rushlight

Post by rushlight »

I have watched plenty of films. I do not like War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise because it is nothing like the book or the older version. I like Corpse Bride but it doesn't match up to Nightmare. Fantastic Four was a lame movie. I got DA Batman Begins and we loved it. Movies I've seen on DVD were The Incredibles, Underworld, and Wrong Turn. I didn't like Underworld. I do want to see V is for Vendetta.
    I love my Welshman.
    CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

you gotta see "Waiting"....I LMAO....It's got some wicked toilet humor in it, and the ladies might not warm up to it, but it was butt funny just the same...definitely a "guy movie"...and, it makes me think twice these days (before I harsh out a waiter or waitress)!

YIKES!!! :-D
    Don't start none...won't be none.
    Walkinghairball

I want to see that movie Cyg, but I know I would lose my lunch. I already think most places do what they do. Harsh or not. :-D
    This space for rent
    CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ahhhh dude...it was awful...my wife couldn't watch it....whenever they did something gross, she left the room... :-D
    awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Dan shut it off. He worked restaurants long enough, didn't need to go there again.

Dan took me to see Ultraviolet recently. I was surprised as he is NOT into sci-fi or comics, but he wanted to see it. Formula movie and one where the protagonist can shoot 700 people up and kill them all, but none of the bad guys can shoot her. Still...it was alright for a date. I like being out with the man.
    CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

OH OH I wanna see that too.... :shock:
    awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*razzes Siggy*

I saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw it, I saaaaaaaaaaaaaaw it!

Hey, whyn't you take the wife out this weekend and see it?