Star Trek XI

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Slaine mac Roth

Star Trek XI

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

from The Great Link

Paramount has hired Mission: Impossible III director J.J. Abrams to write, direct and produce the 11th Star Trek feature film, aiming for a 2008 release, Variety reported. Damon Lindelof, who co-created Lost with Abrams, and Bryan Burk, who produces Lost, have also been tapped to produce the yet-to-be-titled feature.

The project will be co-written by Mission: Impossible III scribes Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. It will center on the early days of original Trek characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first space mission, the trade paper reported.

The deal reflects the studio's bullishness on Mission: Impossible III, which launches worldwide next weekend, and underlines the goal of Paramount heads Brad Grey Gail Berman to re-energize the pipeline via high-profile tentpoles, while revitalizing the Paramount brand with top-tier talent such as Abrams, the trade paper reported.

The decision to relaunch Star Trek comes less than a year after UPN pulled the plug on Star Trek: Enterprise amid dismal ratings following a four-season run, and four years after Star Trek: Nemesis turned in the worst performance of the 10 films, earning just $43 million at the box office.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, the great casting debate will soon begin.

I have no idea who could play Spock but I think Jensen Ackles (Supernatural) could make a reasonable Kirk.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

It will be odd seeing young Star Trek members who are not the orginal men. It can work, it will just be odd. Whenever I go to my godmother's house I see a picture of Shatner from back in the early 70s, so seeing another man play a young Kirk will take some getting used to.
Onward and Upward!
schuette

Post by schuette »

It's more who will play Spock...Leonard Nimoy will be a hard act to follow...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Pretty much any of the major characters from the original, really. For those of us who grew up watching it, that is. The younger generation may not care (or notice).
Onward and Upward!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I've often read that 'Trekkies' are synonymous with us 'Rushies' and are often found in the same person e.g. our Slaine' . Apart from the original tv series I remember as a kid I cannot find enthusiasm for yet another movie. Reading Slaine's link gave the distinct impression that the movie franchise died a poor death. 'R.I.P. Star Trek' thats what I say.
schuette

Post by schuette »

I know what both you mean...one thing though the person they get to play Kirk will have to be good at pausing between words ;)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

LOL And saying, "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhp" as the door opens and closes!
Onward and Upward!
schuette

Post by schuette »

Bones was always my favourite :-D
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

awip2062 wrote:LOL And saying, "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhp" as the door opens and closes!
Classic :-D :-D :-D .
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Or the k-k-k-krrr sound when they open up the communicators. :-D

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

Ogg wrote:I've often read that 'Trekkies' are synonymous with us 'Rushies' and are often found in the same person e.g. our Slaine' . Apart from the original tv series I remember as a kid I cannot find enthusiasm for yet another movie. Reading Slaine's link gave the distinct impression that the movie franchise died a poor death. 'R.I.P. Star Trek' thats what I say.
Actually, I'm not really that much of a Trek fan although I do recognise its importance in SF history (I always preferred UFO and Babylon 5).

I don't think the films dies a poor death. Nemesis may not have been the best Star Trek film but it was far from being the worst (the dire Star Trek V hold that prize).

As for this new version, it will be interesting to see where the audience comes from. There are bound to be the die-hards from each version that will reject the film simply because it is NOT their Trek. Similarly, there will be those who will reject the film because it IS Star Trek - simple as.

It would not surprise me if a large part of the audience will be attracted from outside of Star Trek fandom - lured, in part, by the names JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof. By the same token, some inspired casting could also, potentially, bring in a brand new audience.

One thing is for certain, the Star Trek forums are going to be on fire from now until the film is released.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Just like Rush boards get when we are expecting a new tour.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I've got the right stomach, hairline, and acting skills to play Captain Kirk!!! Pick me! I want to find an alien to fall in love with before the episode is over!

By the right hairline, I mean before Shatner went to the Hairclub For Men...

Man... when I was a kid I loved Star Trek so much.
I liked Next Generation.
I disliked DS9.
I hardly ever saw... the other one... what was it called? The PC one with the black Vulcan...
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Voyager and Enterprise were the other two series.
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Yeah, Voyager, that's it. Only saw it a couple of times.

I never did see Enterprise. Was it good?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?