Had to call the police last night...

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Had to call the police last night...

Post by ElfDude »

And I recorded the call, just in case.

Phone Call
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Ogg

Re: Had to call the police last night...

Post by Ogg »

ElfDude wrote:And I recorded the call, just in case.

Phone Call
Hmm, maybe humour lost in translation. Who is this guy? Some American comic? Is this funny to you over there? :-D
At least I did listen Elfie :-) .
ElfDude

Re: Had to call the police last night...

Post by ElfDude »

Ogg wrote: Is this funny to you over there? :-D
I didn't expect YOU to enjoy it. After all, nobody was killed in it... ;)

For more fun: www.roydmercer.com

From the wiki:

Roy Dam Mercer (also known as R.D. Mercer or R.D. "By God" Mercer) is a fictional character voiced by Brent Douglas on radio station KMOD in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The comedy act, which serves as a vehicle for practical jokes over the telephone, was first signed to Capitol Records in 1996. As of 2006, thirteen comedy albums have been released on the Capitol and Virgin labels.

Roy D. Mercer's persona is that of an obtuse, slippery-talking redneck. He calls people on the telephone, who are invariably set up by their coworkers, friends, or family members. Mercer claims that the person (or someone affiliated with the person, such as a family member or employee) created some sort of problem (sold faulty goods, said or did something offensive to Mercer or one of his family members, etc.). Roy speaks with an exaggerated Oklahoma accent to increase the comic effect. He says that he's coming down to "pick up a check", typically for about $200, to get some satisfaction. An entertaining verbal argument ensues, and when he is not accomodated to his full satisfaction (which never occurs), he begins to threaten physical intimidation. This invariably includes Roy asking his victim "how big a boy are ya'" and some variation of a pronouncement that an "ass-whuppin'" is going to occur. Eventually, Douglas, along with his partner Phil Stone, drops the masquerade and announces the practical joke.

Mercer has a fictional wife and children who are often a topic of his calls. His wife's name is Sharon Gene, his son is Raymond, and his step-daughter is Lateesha. He was married at least once before, to a woman named Inez Roundtree. His great uncle Jesse Mercer, now dead, was a war hero. Roy's father, Owen, was a long-haul trucker, but is also deceased. The family has a dog named Bon Jovi but lost several other pets due to mishaps, among them Raymond's piano-playing hamster Liberace, who got "squarshed" by a 20-pound weight, Lateesha's cat, Meow Tse Tung, and a Yorkie named Sgt. Yorkie. The family currently lives in a trailer-home (which is infested with, among other things, cockroaches and bad-apple-induced farts). A little-known fact is that his middle name, Dam, comes from the Hoover Dam ("it ain't a cursin'!"); this is revealed in "Ceramic Deer", an unreleased skit that was only played on KMOD radio.

The skits typically work so well because Roy's claims are not readily verifiable, especially in the immediate sense. Thus, it's difficult for his victims to prove that his story didn't happen. For example, when Roy accuses a coffee shop of giving caffeinated coffee to Raymond (who apparently has a nervous disorder, and can only drink decaf), they can't prove that it never happened. Sometimes, victims demand proof of his story; in response, he either offers the obligatory ass-whupping or something absurd like digging up his dead pet and bringing it to them.

The pranks are also made more believable by Brent & Phil's uncanny ability to add depth & realism to the story. This is achieved by providing more background details, small and large, than normal. In one skit, talking to a man at the Oklahoma News Network, Mercer claims that the network ran a story about his sister getting drunk and getting into a fist fight at a bowling alley. In another skit, the victim was professional wrestler Bill Goldberg, who, after being accused of signing Roy's son's head with a permanent marker and being chided that pro wrestling is "fake," offered to show Mercer how fake it was, adding "I'll knock your fuckin' head off."

Other infamous situational pranks include:

Trying to get money out of a bowling-alley owner because his son, Raymond, contracted a finger-fungus from their bowling balls.
Calling the owner of a construction company (that also apparently sells gasoline) and saying that the gasoline was bad, causing Raymond's car to break down. While Raymond was on the side of the road, a van full of hippies picked him up, got him drunk and high on marijuana, and proceeded to rob a restaurant.
Harassing a roadie with the band Steppenwolf for supposedly kicking his son's friend's band off the stage, after Raymond had traveled to see them.
Extorting child-support payments from a concert-goer who knocked up his step-daughter Lateesha.
Threatening to send his wife, Sharon Gene, down to "whup" a female nail salon owner's ass because Lateesha's fake nail came off in Gravy Train dog food, and their dog is now suffering from a "perforated colon".
Demanding that a Manhattan art gallery purchase Sharon Jean's macaroni-art homages to famous masterpieces.
Going after an appliance salesman, because his sister-in-law's freezer broke, and thawed out some frozen semen that she was saving from her dead husband.
Threatening a car dealer owner for sexually harassing his wife (who wanted to see a Ford Taurus and the owner insisted that she "check out his Probe", an obviously suggestive comment).
While there's no telling how many pranks were foiled by the victims-to-be (and thus, never made it on an album), there are several skits that lose their comedic value, due to the fact that the victims found Roy's story to be absolutely hilarious. "Dead Hamster" features a Navy recruiting office, and the victim couldn't stop laughing. "Horse Feed" features a feedstore employee who similarly bursts into laughter at the suggestion that their horse feed caused Roy's horse to get an erection. However, most of the material on the albums features subjects who buy Roy's stories "hook, line, and sinker".

Some famous "Royisms" include: "It ain't nothin' for me to whup a man's ass," "I'll knock a lung loose", "I'll put a pop-knot on your head big enough to bait a bear trap", "I'll wipe the floor with ya, then whup your ass for not gettin' up in the corners," and "I'll be on you like Michael Jackson on a Cub Scout!" "I'd hate to have Sharon Gene come down there; she's as strong as a dose of the Filipino clap" is another famous remark (typically used for female victims, since Roy says it's wrong for him to whup a woman's ass, but has no problem with letting his wife do it for him). His question "How big 'a boy are ya?" became the title of his first seven studio albums and the first compilation album. When asked the same question, Roy sometimes responds that he weighs "about a hunnert 'n forty five pounds drippin wet but I'm purty wiry." Roy is also famous for generously dispensing "55-gallon drums of ass-whup," at no extra charge.
Last edited by ElfDude on Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I don't say this very often, so I must be Savin' All My LOLs For You!

LOL!
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:I don't say this very often, so I must be Savin' All My LOLs For You!

LOL!
See, Ogg? HE gets it! :-D
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

At first Elf I thought yer stalker was back. :shock: :lol:
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

"Don't make me open a 55-Gallon
can of whoop-ass!"
- Roy D. Mercer
Last edited by CygnusX1 on Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I thought it was funny... silly Americans :-D
Happy 2015!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

ElfDude wrote:
Big Blue Owl wrote:I don't say this very often, so I must be Savin' All My LOLs For You!
LOL!
See, Ogg? HE gets it! :-D
Yeh...another damn yank! :-D
CygnusX1 wrote:"Don't make me open a 55-Gallon
can of whoop-ass!"
- Roy D. Mercer
Ah, that's where that originated from? It's 'open a can of whoop-ass' over here :-) .
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Yes, very true.

But a 55 gallon drum of whoop-ass is far bigger than just a wee can o whoop-ass bro. :-D
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Men! It's always about size with you. LOL
Onward and Upward!
hnoor0077

Post by hnoor0077 »

Who is this guy? Some American comic? Is this funny to you over there?????
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

hnoor0077 wrote:Who is this guy? Some American comic? Is this funny to you over there?????
This is who he is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_D._Mercer

And yes, it is funny.
scary

Post by scary »

Great guitars's colors ^^ I greet you!
Last edited by scary on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Move along now. That's a good bot.
Don't start none...won't be none.