2008-2009

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I'll pass...
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

For your information there is NO bacon dropped on New Years Eve anywhere, only sausage and bologna.

Happy New Year

Wacky things that get dropped on New Year's Eve

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK - Everyone knows about the ball that gets dropped on New Year's Eve in Times Square. Maybe you've even heard about the 800-pound peach that gets dropped in Atlanta at midnight on Dec. 31.

But you may not have heard about the dropping of the sausage, or the gumbo pot, or the giant Peep, an 11-kilogram fibreglass replica of the famed marshmallowy candy made in Pennsylvania.

TripAdvisor.com has assembled a list of these and other quirky New Year's Eve events to create a top 10 list of wacky things that get lowered on Dec. 31 around the country to mark the arrival of the new year.

The Peep show is in Bethlehem, Pa., marking the third time the city has dropped the illuminated treat from a crane at midnight as part of a family-friendly First Night celebration.

Also in Pennsylvania, in the town of Lebanon, a 2.3-metre edible bologna made by the Weaver-Kutztown Bologna Company is lowered at midnight and then donated to area charities.

In Key West, Fla., there are three such countdown celebrations: a conch shell lowered on a pole to the roof of Sloppy Joe's Bar, the lowering of ``Drag Queen Sushi'' in a two-metre-tall shoe at the Bourbon Street Pub, and the descent of a costumed pirate ``wench'' from a schooner in the harbour.

In Port Clinton, Ohio, the self-proclaimed ``Walleye Capital of the World'' drops a six-metre, 272-kilogram fibreglass walleye fish at midnight.

In Elmore, Ohio, there's a sausage fest, inspired by a local business,Tank's Meats. A lit-up 5.5-metre sausage drops to welcome in the New Year, but there's also a sausage toss and a sausage-eating contest.

Mount Olive, N.C., has a pickle drop with a metre-high glowing pickle plunging down the Mount Olive Pickle Company's flagpole into a tank.

Raleigh, N.C., lowers a massive copper acorn weighing 567 kilograms from atop the city's civic centre as part of a First Night event.

A giant gumbo pot is lowered in New Orleans to mark the New Year, along with fireworks on the Mississippi.

In Easton, Md., a giant crab is what gets lowered as part of a First Night celebration, and in Plymouth, Wis., it's a great big hunk of cheese - though not an edible hunk.
Copyright The Canadian Press :-D
Sound verbalized tones touch textured feel scent wafted aroma see visualize observe sing dance live
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

LOL! What people won't do to have fun! :-D

I want some of that giant pickle. Mmmmmmm...pickles AND olives.....
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

In Elmore, Ohio, there's a sausage fest
"Private, t'aint nuthin in Elmore but steers and queers, boy. Which one'r you?"

"Neither, sarge, but I do love a good "sausage fest."" :lol:
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
schuette

Post by schuette »

at the bells this year I didnt get drunk...

...okai its obvious that always telling the truth wasnt one of my resolutions ;)
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Hehe
This space for rent
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

schuette wrote:at the bells this year I didnt get drunk...

coughbullshitcough
schuette

Post by schuette »

YYZ30 wrote:
schuette wrote:at the bells this year I didnt get drunk...

coughbullshitcough
you obviously didnt read all my post :razz: