I'm right-handed!
68%
I'm left handed!
32%

Total votes: 19

ElfDude

How gauche!

Post by ElfDude »

Just in case you didn't know, "gauche" is French for "left". But for once I'm not talking about political leanings.

I'm definitely left-handed, but not in everything I do. I write left-handed, shoot left-handed, swing a bat left-handed. But as you can see from some of my avatars (or all those pictures in that other thread) I never played a musical instrument left-handed. That just seemed weird to me. Wouldn't I want my dexterous hand doing the fingering?

When it comes to feet, it also seems to be a little of both. If I drop-kick a ball, I'm inclined to kick it with my right foot.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

What about if you use both hands? Not saying it to be a smartass...I mean if you're not really a lefty or a righty. :-D
We're all mad here!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Xanadu wrote:What about if you use both hands? Not saying it to be a smartass...I mean if you're not really a lefty or a righty. :-D
Then pick the one you usually favor when writing. I didn't put that as an option because then everybody would be choosing it... and I doubt that there are too many of us who are genuinely ambidexterous. :-)
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

The way that I look at is this, I sucked equally with both hands when I started playing guitar! Left-handed guitarists are just... :???:

I'm right handed 8)
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Hey, Elf! Kinda coo thread! I'm a righty through and through. Actually I have a strange "brain" condition whereas if I use my left hand it is "mirror" or "opposite" to what may happen or what I plan.

Like if I sign my name regularly with my left hand it goes right to left and backwards. If you hold up the paper in the mirror or hold it up backwards and look through it looks right but if you look at the scribble straight it looks like, well, scribble.

*They're coming to take me away!*

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Kares4Rush wrote:Actually I have a strange "brain" condition whereas if I use my left hand it is "mirror" or "opposite" to what may happen or what I plan.
Wow... that's... I was about to say "fascinating" but thought it might come out sounding like Spock...
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Now you just sound like that drunk engineer, what's his name?
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Classic eyebrow "up" when you say that, Elf. Heh heh.

No, seriously, when someone at school (some teacher or counselor) saw this they told me it was rare (I say "rare" not "special") and they kept having me write stuff over and over with my left hand. I went home to my parents and told them and my Dad was like, "Wow! I've heard of this but it is rare," and then he gave me some huge stupid name for it. (He's a doctor,)

I feel goofy just saying it but there it is.

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I'm sure that presented all sorts of challenges growing up, but I think it's pretty cool!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

".uoy kanhT" (left hand typing...no kidding)

Nah, If you don't know it's different then it seems normal but I have been put on "display" at parties more than once for it. It prolly just goes with the rest of me...goofball. :D

Orlando's LOVESLAVE

Post by Orlando's LOVESLAVE »

You are not a goofball Kares. I have heard of it before. I am mostly right handed. Can do some things with me left hand and left foot that I cant do with me right.

The other day our daughter wrote her name backwards. I didnt pay attention to which hand she wrote it with. She is mostly right-handed. But she started from the right side of the paper when she did it.
funky cm

Post by funky cm »

Somethings are done right handed because of decreased availability of left-handed equipment. Before golf became somewhat mainstream, left-handed clubs weren't as prevelant, so more people started out playing right-handed.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

funky cm wrote:Somethings are done right handed because of decreased availability of left-handed equipment. Before golf became somewhat mainstream, left-handed clubs weren't as prevelant, so more people started out playing right-handed.
And sometimes the left-handed equipment is junk. I remember all kinds of frustration with using scissors in elementary school. My mother even went out and bought me a pair of left-handed scissors, but they didn't work at all. Finally I had to just force myself to learn to cut right-handed. Once I mastered that, life became a little bit easier.
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

I write left-handed, bowl and bat with either (better left-handed bowler, better right-handed hitter), throw right, use a mouse left-handed, and play drums/bass right.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I write with my right hand only because I was forced to choose when I was in Kindergarden. My husband is always amazed at how I do most everything else (not guitar) with both hands. He can't figure our how I do it and I think it is weird that he can't, because to me it is normal to switch back and forth. I am definitely left-thumbed (right -thumbed just isn't comfortable!)and tend to favor my left foot over my right.
I submitted my vote as right since you designated what hand you write with as the determining factor, but I prefer the ambi vote
Onward and Upward!