First touch

All Rush, all the time

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Amarok

First touch

Post by Amarok »

Hi to you all!

On the former board I already asked this question. But then we had a crash. So once more:

When did you have your first time getting in touch with the music of Rush?
Amarok

Post by Amarok »

My first touch was in 1990. We made repair works on the roof of my parents' house. During the work my brother in law, who is from Colorado, let a cassette play. It was Rush's album "Presto". From the first moment on I was fascinated by that music.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hi, Amarok. :)

This is not the most interesting of stories, but I found them after reading about how incredible Neil Peart's solo at a concert was. As a drummer, I simply had to listen to it. I eventually bought Moving Pictures, then 2112, and eventually everything they've ever released.
Medinaquirin

Post by Medinaquirin »

Blame it on my friend Jeff. I hadn't heard much from Rush beyond what was on the radio (I was already into classic rock at the time - I was about 14 so I would've gotten into rock about two years prior), but my friend Jeff had wound up getting the Retrospective cds and offered to loan them to me since I'd loaned him some Jethro Tull ("Roots to Branches"....come to think of it, I've been missing that cd the last couple weeks, wonder where it went off to....Dad might have nabbed it, anyway, lol). I just instantly loved what I heard. But it was only about a year ago that I started hearing more of their stuff and went out to buy Counterparts & Presto. After those two, I was sold. Not to mentioned friggin' giftwrapped! LOL. After that, I managed to nab Vapor Trails and Signals a few months back. Goooooood shit, man. 8)
~Time is a spiral, space is a curve
I know you get dizzy but try not to lose your nerve
~
Aerosmitten

Post by Aerosmitten »

I was just a wean.
Phildogger

First Rush

Post by Phildogger »

Christmas, 1989

Spending time with extended Family in Preque Isle, Maine. A northern town, within spitting distance of Canada, and frigid as the Ice Planet Hoth. Feeling boredom approaching, I ventured into town (little there is) on foot, and found a music store selling used tapes. the sign said "4 for ten dollars". A good deal then. Shaking the snow off of my coat, I quickly picked out 2 Van Halen tapes, a Jimi Hendrix album, and nothing else. A Tape spine caught my attention, Rush's "Hold your Fire". scanning the song list, I vaguely remembered hearing "Time Stand Still" on the radio once, and seeing a video in MTV's heyday of a guy with a large nose and colored lights behind him, and wondered if this could be the same band.

That tape is now long worn out, and replaced with CD. The entire catalog is now in my hands, and I am eternally thankful for that desolate music store. That tape may be gone, but my love for Rush will never be. A million thanks, Presque Isle.
"Living in their Pools, they soon forget about the Sea..."