Formula 1

Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, it's all here

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

FerrariF1 wrote: I don't know what the hell RB is up to, ...
No? The TV cameras followed him through over half of the race. Was there anyone else on the track at all? :?:
FerrariF1

Post by FerrariF1 »

Last edited by FerrariF1 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schuette

Post by schuette »

He really has got no competition this year and also equalled another record! I was hoping for a wee set to between Schuey and JPM at the start of the race and was surprised to see Trulli sped up like that....it was a good start.
And if McLaren think they're still in with a chance then they are dreaming!!
Devil's Advocate

D'you notice how, whenever Rubens gets a chance to actually race against Schumacher, something always seems to go wrong in his pit-stop? Every single time.
schuette

Post by schuette »

I think that's a slight exaggeration and he wasn't even racing him, he got behind him that's all...........and it was Schuey that had the cracked exhaust.
Devil's Advocate

Rubens had a different strategy, which could have won him the race. But oh!, his first pit-stop was a tad longer than necessary, so Michael re-took the lead. And then, when Rubens's second stop could have put him back in contention, oh!, the pit crew cocked it up in a manner that should have been impossible within the procedure they put in place after a similar cock-up affected Eddie Irvine 5 years ago.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but something here isn't right.

As for Michael's cracked exhaust, he was already leading the race, so even if it had lost him more power than it did, he would still have been able to block any overtaking attempt. Not that any such attempt would have occured, of course, because the guy behind him was Rubens, who isn't allowed to win races before Michael has secured the WDC. The exhaust problem could only have adversely affected Michael if it had set fire to some other part of his car, and obviously the crack wasn't severe enough for that to happen.
schuette

Post by schuette »

Devil's Advocate wrote: But oh!, his first pit-stop was a tad longer
it was a tad longer as there had to put more fuel in his car...for a 2 stopper his pit-stop was about right.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but something here isn't right.

Devil's Advocate wrote:As for Michael's cracked exhaust, he was already leading the race, so even if it had lost him more power than it did, he would still have been able to block any overtaking attempt. Not that any such attempt would have occured, of course, because the guy behind him was Rubens, who isn't allowed to win races before Michael has secured the WDC. The exhaust problem could only have adversely affected Michael if it had set fire to some other part of his car, and obviously the crack wasn't severe enough for that to happen.
no one knew if the crack was severe and if the car would reach the finish.......Rubens has been out of contention since the first race......I suppose it was Schumacher's fault that he came out in front of Trulli first then Rubens at the his 2nd stop....

No matter what Schuey does you will always find fault with him...
Devil's Advocate

schuette wrote:no one knew if the crack was severe and if the car would reach the finish.
Quite, and no-one - not even me - would suggest that he should have retired.
Rubens has been out of contention since the first race.
Rubens has been out of contention since he replaced Irvine at Ferrari, and he will be out of contention for as long as he remains in the same team as Schumacher. That is my point.
No matter what Schuey does you will always find fault with him...
No, this time I'm putting the blame squarely on the team. How can you blame anyone else for the pit-stop cock-up?
schuette

Post by schuette »

your point should be that it doesn't matter who is in the other car Schuey is always gonna do better with the same car........for the now anyway.
Rubens although is an excellent driver is never gonna be as good as Schuey.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Monaco this weekend :)

Can anyone stop Schumacher?
I was lined up for glory, but the tickets sold out in advance.
schuette

Post by schuette »

Scooter wrote:Can anyone stop Schumacher?
well Button thinks he can :roll: ......hopefully he wont though i would love to see Schuey getting another record :wink:
schuette

Post by schuette »

should be an interesting race tomoz........Schuey 4th meaning there's a real chance that he's gonna lose his winning streak.........it's shitty that's he's so far back at Monaco as he wont have the chance to 'race' as it's really just a strategic circuit but it should still make an exciting race.
And I see the McLarens are getting a wee bit better with Kimi 5th.....although I dont really like McLaren it's about time they got their finger out and started to look like a top team again...

And Max Mosley has finally admitted that the new qualyfying system is boring........took him long enough to see the obvious. Hopefully now we'll see the old system back.........1 hour, 12 laps per car going as fast as they can 8)
Devil's Advocate

schuette wrote:Hopefully now we'll see the old system back.........1 hour, 12 laps per car going as fast as they can 8)
I don't know what changes they'll make to qualifying, but I doubt if they'll do that. Not unless they reverse the single-engine rule.
schuette

Post by schuette »

it's also what Max wants.........."Well my personal preference would be just for everybody to go out for an hour and whoever does the fastest lap during that hour has got pole position."

it's also up to all the teams but hopefully they all agree that the quals have to change.........why do they need to reverse the single-engine rule........?
Devil's Advocate

Because if they retain it, qualifying times in the old-style one-hour session won't be much different from what they are now. The only thing that a one-hour session would do is to force the drivers to deal with traffic during their qualifying runs. And of course it would bring back the oh-so popular half-an-hour-of-not-a-car-in-sight phenomenon, which was the whole point of introducing a single-lap sytem in the first place.

That said, I'm not disagreeing with you - the 12-lap limit gave each driver more than one chance to set a time, which IMO is a Good Thing.

So how would this idea grab you: keep the one-engine rule, and the same basic qualifying system as there is now (only one driver on track at any one time*), except that each driver is allowed to do as many flying laps as they want up to a max of (say) 4. But when they come into the pit lane, their qualifying session is over. And let's keep the no-refueling-or-new-tyres-after-qualifying rule, but allow mechanics to make minor set-up changes, such as adjusting the aerodynamics.

*alternatively, the one-driver rule could apply to each driver's first flying lap only, after which time the next driver could optionally go out on track. This would guarantee each driver at least one traffic-free lap if he wants it, but would also allow team-mates to try slip-streaming for an extra tenth of a second or two.