Geddy Up! It's time for Derby '08!!

Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, it's all here

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Race horses' legs (to quote a dear friend) "are like knittin' needles."

Any injury to the leg can be deadly. :(

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

This diagram shows the many bones in a horses leg.
Sound verbalized tones touch textured feel scent wafted aroma see visualize observe sing dance live
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

The fetlock joint connects to the.....first phalanx.
The first phalanx connects to the.......pastern joint.

Catchy little tune.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

when you see that diagram, you can see how a horse's leg looks fragile.. especially all the joints that are there. still I think it is sad they had to put down such a beautiful animal. Don't confuse me with peta, Horse racing is cool, the raw power of these animals is amazing.. I just think it is sad when something like this happens..

RIP Eight Belles..
Happy 2015!
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

Here's a happier ending then, a friend sent me the article today.

Meet: Molly
She's a gray speckled pony who was abandoned by her owners when Katrina hit southern Louisiana, USA . She spent weeks on her own before finally being rescued and taken to a farm where abandoned animals were stockpiled. While there, she was attacked by a pit bull terrier, and almost died. Her gnawed right front leg became infected and her vet went to LSU for help. But LSU was overwhelmed, and this pony was a welfare case. You know how that goes.

But after surgeon Rustin Moore met Molly, he changed his mind. He saw how the pony was careful to lie down on different sides so she didn't seem to get sores, and how she allowed people to handle her. She protected her injured leg. She constantly shifted her weight, and didn't overload her good leg. She was a smart pony with a serious survival ethic.

Moore agreed to remove her leg below the knee and a temporary artificial limb was built. Molly walked out of the clinic and her story really begins there.

"This was the right horse and the right owner," Moore insists.
Molly happened to be a one-in-a-million patient. She's tough as nails, but sweet, and she was willing to cope with pain. She made it obvious she understood (that) she was in trouble. The other important factor, according to Moore , is having a truly committed and compliant owner who is dedicated to providing the daily care required over the lifetime of the horse.

Molly's story turns into a parable for life in post-Katrina Louisiana . The little pony gained weight, her mane felt a comb. A human prosthesis designer built her a leg.

The prosthetic has given Molly a whole new life, Allison Barca DVM, Molly's regular vet, reports.
And she asks for it! She will put her little limb out, and come to you and let you know that she wants you to put it on. Sometimes she wants you to take it off too." And sometimes, Molly gets away from Barca. "It can be pretty bad when you can't catch a three-legged horse", she laughs.

Most important of all, Molly has a job now. Kay, the rescue farm owner, started taking Molly to shelters, hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers. Anywhere she thought that people needed hope. Wherever Molly went, she showed people her pluck. She inspired people. And she had a good time doing it.

This is Molly's most recent prosthesis. The bottom photo shows the ground surface that she stands on, which has a smiley face embossed in it. Wherever Molly goes, she leaves a smiley hoof print behind!
Sound verbalized tones touch textured feel scent wafted aroma see visualize observe sing dance live
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Wendy wrote:Here's a happier ending then, a friend sent me the article today.

Meet: Molly
She's a gray speckled pony who was abandoned by her owners when Katrina hit southern Louisiana, USA . She spent weeks on her own before finally being rescued and taken to a farm where abandoned animals were stockpiled. While there, she was attacked by a pit bull terrier, and almost died. Her gnawed right front leg became infected and her vet went to LSU for help. But LSU was overwhelmed, and this pony was a welfare case. You know how that goes.

But after surgeon Rustin Moore met Molly, he changed his mind. He saw how the pony was careful to lie down on different sides so she didn't seem to get sores, and how she allowed people to handle her. She protected her injured leg. She constantly shifted her weight, and didn't overload her good leg. She was a smart pony with a serious survival ethic.

Moore agreed to remove her leg below the knee and a temporary artificial limb was built. Molly walked out of the clinic and her story really begins there.

"This was the right horse and the right owner," Moore insists.
Molly happened to be a one-in-a-million patient. She's tough as nails, but sweet, and she was willing to cope with pain. She made it obvious she understood (that) she was in trouble. The other important factor, according to Moore , is having a truly committed and compliant owner who is dedicated to providing the daily care required over the lifetime of the horse.

Molly's story turns into a parable for life in post-Katrina Louisiana . The little pony gained weight, her mane felt a comb. A human prosthesis designer built her a leg.

The prosthetic has given Molly a whole new life, Allison Barca DVM, Molly's regular vet, reports.
And she asks for it! She will put her little limb out, and come to you and let you know that she wants you to put it on. Sometimes she wants you to take it off too." And sometimes, Molly gets away from Barca. "It can be pretty bad when you can't catch a three-legged horse", she laughs.

Most important of all, Molly has a job now. Kay, the rescue farm owner, started taking Molly to shelters, hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers. Anywhere she thought that people needed hope. Wherever Molly went, she showed people her pluck. She inspired people. And she had a good time doing it.

This is Molly's most recent prosthesis. The bottom photo shows the ground surface that she stands on, which has a smiley face embossed in it. Wherever Molly goes, she leaves a smiley hoof print behind!
Couldn't see the pics, but a awesome story anyway Wen.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Wow, I'da never thunked that would be possible. How totally cool.

GO MOLLY!!!!!!!!
This space for rent
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

That's awesome!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Oh Wendy! That made me cry and smile at the same time. :cry: :D Thank you. And Molly is indeed a beautiful pony. What courage and character too. I wish I could visit her someday.

Me

Post by Me »

That's a beautiful story and a very intelligent pony, thank you very much Wendy! :cheesy:

The Preakness runs this Saturday the 2nd leg in the triple crown and I hope Big Brown goes all the way. Only 11 horses have gone all the way to win, the last being Affirmed in 1978.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

Go Big Brown Go! All the way to triple victory.

Here's a link with more about Molly.
Molly's Work
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Yes, go Brownie. I will not bet on him. Maybe some kinda combo.

Thank you for the link about Molly. I sent it on to my good "horse" friend too.