Hockey Playoffs

Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, it's all here

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

mmmmmm...ebay...

JR Superstar!!! Roenick would have made a geat rock star.
Living One Long Sunrise
funky cm

Toddzilla jersey

Post by funky cm »

Not sure of jersey values, Mr. Bill. I vaguely remember this year's vintage Canucks jerseys on auction with the popular player's jersery's at around $1200- (Cdn). These were game-worn; don't know if they were signed, but there isn't a reason for them not to be. I think that price was around the beginning of April, with the auction ending May 1.

Right now, there are still too many variables in Todd's future- his "star power", and it's link with the value of the jersey, is again questionable.

There are a ton Todd Bertuzzi/Vancouver Canuck things I could discuss right now, but since their season is over it's all pretty much moot. If you'd like to hear some talk, don't be afraid to ask- I joined this board a little too late for Canuck talk.

As of now, there are still 4 teams left in the quest for Lord Stanley's cup. I don't mind cheering for Calgary even if they beat Vancouver this year (maybe it's a Canadian thing).
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

calgary went on the 3rd round?
funky cm

Toronto is out of the playoffs!!!

Post by funky cm »

Okay, maybe it's not a Canadian thing. Sort of.

If your team gets knocked out, and you still like to watch (sports that is), you often cheer for one of the teams that is playing. It adds to the excitement of the game. You may chose that team for several reasons- geography (Calgary is the only Canadian team left), underdog (Calgary #6 seed in West), players (Martin St Louis is like, 5' 6"?), style of play (no trapping teams please), or WHOEVER IS PLAYING AGAINST THE LEAFS.
funky cm

BOB COLE SHOULD RETIRE.

Post by funky cm »

I mentioned previously that Bob Cole doesn't know who the players are on teams other than the Leaf. Today's game (Game 6, Toronto-Philly) proved me wrong. Near the end of regulation (or was it OT?) Tie Domi, in the slot, point-blank range stopped cold by Esche.

Bob Cole- "A pass out front- Oh, a glorious opportunity for Toronto!"

Was there a shot? Did the goalie make the save? Who had the scoring chance? BOB COLE DIDN'T KNOW WHO HAD THE SCORING OPPORTUNITY. The viewers have to wait for the play to end before Harry Neale tells us who had the chance.

Canadian viewers have to hope for Chris Cuthbert.

I miss Jim Robson.

I'm ranting now, aren't I.

Don't get me started!
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

Your hilarious Funky. :lol:

Since you mentioned Bob's inability I've been listening closer. I was laughing a couple times during last nights game. And yes, Harry bailed him a number of times.

Personally, I don't believe Todd's status as a star hockey player is in jeopardy. To me he is still a top three power foward in the game. Only Iginla and maybe Shane Doan (yes - Shane Doan) come close. Todd is an awesome player. Notice they are all Canadians!!!

But what is in jeopardy is his star power off the ice. It's a can of worms that we shouldn't open because casual fans and non fans will kill us and then the emotion will catch up. Best off just turfing the conversation.

Anyway...you know I have this and if you or a friend is interested I may trade or sell. I only hang Bruin jersey's in this house. Terry's big number 24 looks great on that wall over there. Now THAT was a power forward and he did a hundred things worse than Todd.

Oh well...
Living One Long Sunrise
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

Mr. Bill wrote:Hey BT - If you think I'm gonna bet against Joe and Peter your more nutso than I thought! :wink:
You should've. Who would have thought that the Av's would have come out looking like a Jr. Hockey team? Hats off to San Jose for a big win. Their goalie is kick ass.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

I know BT!!!! :roll:

Betting on hockey is like playing darts blindfolded. there was a time when a sure thing was a sure thing - not anymore.

Whatever will the Av's do without Peter. "Foppa" as he's known, will not be back according to many reports. I guess gives them 10 million to spend other ways.

I'm gonna miss watchin' the wolf man hold onto the puck forever.

I'll go play Limbo for him.

Welcome to the golf course BT. Your tee-off awaits you.
Living One Long Sunrise
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

Here's a funny one for you all.

there is a good chance Mike Keenan may be the next coach in Ottawa.

He'll ruin Havlat and Spezza. Bonk doesn't stand a chance with him. Alfredsson will likely be better than ever.

This is not the way to get there. Hire a proven young coach like Paul Maurice.
Living One Long Sunrise
neilpeart_gal

Post by neilpeart_gal »

Say it ain't so!! Is Peter really going to retire?? :cry:

Ah well, at least I got to see him play live for a couple of seasons anyway.
funky cm

Post by funky cm »

I heard that Forsberg is selling his downtown penthouse apartment in Denver, so looks like it's off to play for daddy at Modo.

Mr Bill, we shoulda talked last week! The rotary club here had an auction for a signed Cam Neely jersey last Saturday.

As for Keenan :evil: , he sure did a wonderful job with the Canucks. Having Messier here was great, too :evil: . Maybe he'll convince Brian Noonan to come out of retirement. And Harry York, too.
funky cm

Post by funky cm »

I miss Howie Meeker.
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

neilpeart_gal wrote:Say it ain't so!! Is Peter really going to retire?? :cry:

Ah well, at least I got to see him play live for a couple of seasons anyway.
It's been ongoing for a few years now. He wants to finish off his career playing for his dad in Sweden. If that does happen, I wonder how his physical (NHL) style of play will translate over there.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
neilpeart_gal

Post by neilpeart_gal »

That's right, I remember reading that now. Well if that's what he wants to do....! But still I would miss seeing him play. Although if collective bargaining goes thru and he goes to Sweden, that will help the Avs SOME with payroll...... :cry:
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

I wonder how his physical (NHL) style of play will translate over there.
Likely into even more dominance. I find that most Swedish players are not nearly as soft as years ago. Players like Holmstrom, Afredsson, Ohlund, Axelsson, etc. ae as tough as nails. Even Sundin has got tougher at the end of his career. The NHL has changed hockey all of the world.

Although its impossible to replace Foppa, there will be a record 146 players that are unrestricted free agents. The Av's will replace him (even if it takes two or three).
Living One Long Sunrise