Hockey Playoffs

Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, it's all here

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

by-tor

Post by by-tor »

Mr. Bill wrote:Likely into even more dominance. I find that most Swedish players are not nearly as soft as years ago. Players like Holmstrom, Afredsson, Ohlund, Axelsson, etc. ae as tough as nails. Even Sundin has got tougher at the end of his career. The NHL has changed hockey all of the world.
Right, but that's when they come over here to play. I have a good friend who lives in Sweden these days, and claims that there is almost no physical play over there....more like speed....end to end hockey. Wish I could get some of those games on DirecTV.
Mr. Bill wrote:Although its impossible to replace Foppa, there will be a record 146 players that are unrestricted free agents. The Av's will replace him (even if it takes two or three).
I wonder if Lacroix can somehow 'steal' Iginla or St. Louis. :twisted:
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

Sorry BT. Iggy and The Little King are not going anywhere.

Both are restricted free agents. If Tampa and Calgary can't re-sign them (they will both be looking for approx. 6-7 million) then they will sit or be traded. Frankly, I don't think the Av's have the top level prospects to deal and they're draft picks are few and low. Both players are fan favorites and both will be signed long term (4+ years). Especially with the now surprising playoff revenue this year. Great picks though - they're two of my favs.

To me, the Av's haven't been the same since Drury was dealt and Klemm and de Vires weren't re-signed. I think all of that had a bad affect on this team.

The core is still awesome and if Lacroix fills the holes this team will be fine - even without Teemu or Kariya, neither of whom I am a fan of and to be honest, I enjoy the treasonist irony in Kariya's story. I didn't like what he did. Anaheim suffered just as much. It was all wrong.

But dealing Keith Ballard may have been a huge mistake. I thought that was an awful trade with Phoenix. Morris too? Time will tell.

Colorado has money. Money will be spent and the Av's will always be a contender. They are also one of the best organizations in the league on and off the ice.

What's the thing I like most about the Av's? They have both of the Cups Lindros was suppose to win!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Living One Long Sunrise
neilpeart_gal

Post by neilpeart_gal »

Mr. Bill wrote:
Colorado has money. Money will be spent and the Av's will always be a contender. They are also one of the best organizations in the league on and off the ice.
Any ideas on what Collective Bargaining may do to top heavy teams like the Avs?
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

The new CBA will likely come down to the owners negotiating some sort of cap. If it does happen, it will be phased in over 5years and existing players will be "grandfathered" so any changes will be very gradual.

Now...the players (who are currently receiving 70% of all revenues if you believe the propaganda) don't want a cap at all. It's interesting that the NHLPA has done a bad job in reputing that fact. It's likely somewhat accurate.

IMHO the players have no leverage at all. If they walk they risk never having such a fertile situation again. There are also competition this time. New leagues are starting up and the AHL is stronger than ever.

As I watch the Canadian dollar plunge below 0.70 U.S. today I worry that soon the only team up here will be The Leafs. The Canadian economy is booming along and our dollar continues to loose strength. It's weird.

Revenue sharing and team salary caps will be vital to survival of the league. It's simple. Look at baseball - does anyone really have a chance? The Blue Jays are hopelessly stuck behind NY and Boston. What's the point?

This is one thing I find great about the NFL. It's wide open.
Living One Long Sunrise
neilpeart_gal

Post by neilpeart_gal »

A friend of mine who reads daily about the CBA negotiations said he is hearing that it will be January before the two sides reach an agreement. :? I hope he's getting bad information!
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

Don't read too much into anything NPG.

Last time I believe they ended up with a 48 game schedule if I remember right in 94/95. I remember because I had Zhamnov in a pool and he ended up third in the league or something. To lazy to check my facts but I think I'm right.

BUT...keep in mind. That was 10 years ago. Salaries have skyrocketed since then. The public have no sympahy at all for them and the backlash will be huge. They know that.

My guess is that it's just way too risky on the players part to actually hold out. I say they cave in sometime in August or September after the World Cup and everyone in back to work.

I'm always optimistic. So don't hold any faith in that either.
Living One Long Sunrise
neilpeart_gal

Post by neilpeart_gal »

Gosh I hope so. My wish is that it is resolved before training camp. I hope that pans out.
funky cm

Post by funky cm »

May I add to my wish list...

Bob Cole should retire ("and the San Jose player shoots it towards his own net...")

Bob Mackenzie (TSN)... STOP TALKING ABOUT THE LEAFS. "San Jose lost the series after losing game 5... just like the Leafs did against the Flyers."
Also, during TB vs Philly... "The Leafs should have never let Fredy Modin get away".
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

Hey Funky,

The Leafs didn't let "Mean Modin" "get away" they got Cory Cross and a 7th. :lol: :lol: :lol:

"And now WE are all set....And here WE go...now THEY shoot it in THERE and now THEY bring it back out slowly and THEY look solid coming out of THEIR own end".

Who's playing the game Bob?

Congrats to Calgary. Unbelieveable. I never thought this could happen. Some guy in Vegas right now is squeezing out a purple brick because he took the bets at 60 to one against the Flames. :shock:

Quick observation - Brad Richards is the next generation Joe Sakic.
Living One Long Sunrise