Happy St. Paddy's Day!

When you have no clue as to what you want to say

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Zivo wrote:I got pinched a few times today at work, for lack of green. I kinda liked it

I will remember this.
Onward and Upward!
Aerosmitten

Post by Aerosmitten »

*Lifesonite wrote:But black hair is so :shock:

Dull, Bright, Neon or Nuclear green?
Black hair is so :shock: ? :shock: <--- is what my blowfish friend looks like.

Me hair was a bright green, and it was sparkly too! Coulda called me glitter. :shock:

*Stalking Lnite*
Mr. Potatoe Head

Re: Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

Sling shot this thread back to the top of the day to you Russians counting the days, rocking the cradle of love....

If I find you here upon my return, there'll be wigs on the green....

"by yarrow and rue,
And my red cap too,"
Yestermorrow

Post by Yestermorrow »

Last year a dear friend sent to me a block of peat from the fallow heart of Ireland. Due to reasons far too complicated to explain here, our paths were destined to part, but love of a friend lives on even when paths are parted.

This year on St. Padrig's Day, I'll break off a piece of my sacred block and place it in a chalice braizer so that I can waft the magic, love and mystery of ancient Erin to any here who would breathr in the vapors and claim the charm I send, a gift from my friend.

Mr. Potatoe Head, for you I'll waft a generous portion of the Gaelic smoke laden with thyme and wisdom to ease your heart still greiving for your lost daughter. As I wave my hand and waft the smoke over oh, so many miles, breathe it in and remember that the gates to the otherworld are always hidden but are still tantalizingly close and the love remains even after paths have parted.

Let us breathe in the belief in magic, sing a few rounds of Danny Boy (may the leprechaus bring him his heart's true desire), and lift a glass of the Irish in remembrance of days gone by and verdant, emerald days yet to be.

There is an ancient Gaelic phrase that means, "Learn to catch your blessings." In the Irish peat wafted on the night air I send you an Irish Blessing. Breathe in and warm your souls. Drink in the love given you.

Thank you, my friend, not forgotten.
Last edited by Yestermorrow on Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yestermorrow

Post by Yestermorrow »

Potatoe Head, put that Irish ditty back or I'll find an ill-nautred leprechaun who will turn you into a toad!!!

Don't be messing with the Danny Boy and his song for we do love him so! And while I'm scolding, you left out the best part:

I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow..."

Hop to it or hop like a TOAD!!!
Mr. Potatoe Head

How about an Irish temper?
Yestermorrow

Post by Yestermorrow »

Mr. Potatoe Head wrote:How about an Irish temper?
Irish tenor? They are the divine... the voice of the angels. :twisted:
Mr. Potatoe Head

Oh... fish sticks, cole-slaw and spinach.
happysmilies007

Post by happysmilies007 »

dudes, when is the US St Patrick's Day?? it's like, my FAVORITE holiday!! :-D
"What do I do when we're not taping? Sit in a dark room and refine my plans for someday ruling Earth from a blimp. And chess." --Ryan Stiles .. brought to you by the letter 3!
Yestermorrow

Post by Yestermorrow »

Happysmiles, it's March 17th... that makes it this coming Thursday! Here's to shamrocks on your socks!!!

Potatoe Head... okay, we can do it my way. (Cats and women do as they please anyway and dogs and men should be used to that by now....) :-D

Oh, Danny Boy...

http://www.celticmp3s.com/listen/Songs_ ... ny_Boy.m3u

....weeping green tears. It's sooooo sad.
schuette

Post by schuette »

the pubs over here celebrate St Patricks Day more than they do St Andrew's Day!!
Mr. Potatoe Head

"I found in Innisfail,
In Irealand, while exiled there,
Woman of worth, both grave and gay men,
Many Clericks and many laymen.

Gold and silver I found and money,
Plenty of Wheat, and plenty of honey;
I found God's people rich in pity,
Found many a feast, and many a city."

Irish Myth, Legend and Folklore

Cuchulain of Muirthemme
by Lady Gregory
Yestermorrow

Post by Yestermorrow »

I saw three red finches in a tree
And thought not on them, but thee...

Long live the Hound of Ulster.
Mr. Potatoe Head

An allusioin or twisted words if you choose given in Lady Gregory's book:

Attributed to Ailbhe, daughter of Cormac Mac Art.

"The apple tree of high Aillinn,
The yew of Baile of little land,
Though they are put into lays,
Rough people do not understand them."
Yestermorrow

Post by Yestermorrow »

A Rushian St. Patrick's Day
(written by an Irish school child)

(Nial is, of course, pronounced Neil)

THE LEGEND OF NIALL OF THE NINE HOSTAGES
Artwork and story research by Stephen Corcoran & Jack Molloy,
Coolderry National School, County Offaly, Ireland.

Niall was one of the great Irish kings. He was the only son of Eochaid Muighmedon, high king and his wife Catharann, daughter of an English king. Eochaid later married Mong-Fionn, daughter of the king of Munster, and had another four sons. These sons were Brian, Fiachra, Ailill and Fergus.
It is said that Mong-Fionn was jealous of her stepson Niall; she wanted Brian to succeed to Eochaid. She did not rest until she had Niall as an outcast and his mother reduced down to servant.

As Niall was entering manhood, he was returned to the court and welcomed by his father. One of his first acts was to restore his mother to her rightful place. Niall underwent many tests and did excellent on every one.

Niall's stepmother still had her hopes for Brian and upon Eochaid's death, she managed to get her brother king until Brian came of age. Once in power, however, Crimthann betrayed his sister and took full control of the kingdom instead of regency. To Crimthann's credit, he proved to be a strong king and ruled for twenty years.

During his early reign, Niall consolidated his power and home by subduing his enemies and taking hostages from the families in opposition. Meanwhile the Picts were getting wary of the small Lirsh colony of Dalriada which is now Scotland. They attacked and severely damaged the colony. In response Niall ventured to Scotia Minor and the land of the Picts, here again subduing all and gaining submission through the taking of royal hostages - hence the name, Niall of the Nine Hostages.

After a short consolidation, he marched south with his Scot and Pict allies against the Romans in Britain. It was there that Niall's forces took hostage one Succat, who is better known by his later name of St. Patrick.

Besides taking St. Patrick in his youth, Niall is known mainly for two things. First, he consolidated the northern region of Ireland and created a dynasty that kept his descendants High Kings of Ireland for six hundred years. Second, his military ability led him to the Irish taking control of all of Alba and a large part of Britain.

He seriously damaged the Roman's ability to control Britain and even managed to carve out some Irish controlled territory in France. It is said this Irish empire was only eclipsed in size by Dathi's, Niall's nephew and successor.

Yestermorrow Note: And Patrick later escaped, went to France, became a priest and for love of Ireland returned to drive out the snakes.

1) With apologies to Shu. I'm sure the Picts were lovely folks too! :-D