Drums mics

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Drums mics

Post by awip2062 »

We want to record some songs the kids have been working on and I need to get a mic so we can get the drums in there. The recording unit I am using has the option of midi drums, but we want to record Dovey, not some computer stuffs. Anyhow, any suggestions from drummers or others who have recorded drums before as to inexpensive mics? And, I am thinking I should get a condenser mic, is that right?
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Yeah, condenser mic's because they can take the concussive force and all. I have to look at my stage gear to remember what they are exactly, but we also use them for recording. I spent $200 when I bought the pack of 4 mics like 3 years ago, but they are like $50 ish now at guitar center.
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....*thinking*...these kids are getting expensive! LOL

I am going to have to get some sort of board to run the drum mics into too, I see. I am going to need more than one mic for the drums, to get a good sound. *thinks* Hmmmmmmmm....
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

I found this and I thought you might wanna give it some thought. Dynamic mics, these are actually better than mine, and there are overheads, and the other mics you would need. Plus, I could let you borrow my drum sub board. We are not using it anymore cuz our main board has more channels now.

http://www.guitarvision.com/mf/mf_frameset.htm

When you get the page, go to search and type "cad", then hit GO.
The first drum mic pack is the "CAD PRO-7", that's the one.
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Thanks for the helps, Bro. I'm going to think about it. $200 is not a bad price, but still tiz a buncha monies.

Borrowing a sub board would be great! I can't run all those mics into the GNX4, so I need something. Much appreciated! Much!
Walkinghairball

My board is 6 channel, with the holes for 8 .
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

That should work well for what we want. Only need to put the drums through it as the rest of the instruments will go into the GNX4 with what we already have no problem.
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Walkinghairball wrote:My board is 6 channel, with the holes for 8 .
*chucklessnort*

Sorry got a dirty thought with that.

Carry on.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*carries on months later*

I bought the mics today. Got just what you suggested, Bro. I will let you know when they get here.
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball

Sweet.........the local salesman here at Guitar Center keeps calling me wondering if I still want them. LOL.
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Tell him no, you don't. hehe
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball

I might want to trade mine up though. :)
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Well, in that case, I guess you might then.
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I got an e-mail telling me that FedEx should be delivering the mics on 25 April. We will see though, FedEx is often innacurate with their estimates.
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball

That's ok.................... I had a delivery from Shred - ex yesterday, and I called to tell them the driver munched the box............they told me in different words they were not UPS and they don't mishandle parcels..............the driver didn't even look me in the face today.
This space for rent