Porcupine Tree .

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

Porcupine Tree .

Post by Ogg »

Finally I managed to download a Porcupine Tree album (after trying several times of late).

Full credit to Schu' and diverse others who brought them to my attention.

I will have to fork out some readies and buy some of the albums. I have the excellent 'Deadwing' and the 2 cd 'Signify' at the moment. I'm awaiting another thirteen albums in a cool collection I found, only nine hours remaining.

I listened to 'Deadwing' first and as soon as the track 'Arriving Somewhere' kicked in on the four minute mark I was hooked!

Can you recommend what album I should discover next?

Thank you.
Last edited by Ogg on Tue May 30, 2006 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

I love them! Steven Wilson is hot! He has a similar Geddy look! :shock: I have Signify and The Sky Moves Sideways.
I love my Welshman.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I'll post my list when I have the time. I think the most recent 'Dead Wing' is excellent but it's the 'In Absentia' album that has taken the Ogg house by storm.
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

In Absentia????? :shock: The songs about murders??? I always tell Dan it is the killer album and I don't want it. :lol: Now since I like their music, I will probably get it. I'm thinking of getting Up the Downstair. Get Sky Moves Sideways.I'd say get the album in the shops because I do not know if you will be able to get the bonus stuff by downloading. I don't like downloading. I'd rather have the discs. In Absentia had videos too. :-)
I love my Welshman.
schuette

Post by schuette »

I download to much :roll:

Stupid Dream is good.....well I think all their albums are good even if some are a bit weird....Voyage 34 is excellent!!....and Lightbulb Sun will always have a place in my heart as it contains the first song I've ever heard of PT, Shesmovedon...
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

!!!
How the fuck have I missed out on this amazing band? (excuse my Klatchian). I consider myself pretty damn knowledgable and of course the net contributes vast amounts of downloads and info. I google like a champion yet somehow Porcupine Tree evaded the Ogg radar, more the fool me.
This is up there with the likes of my personal discovery of Jethro Tull, Soundgarden, Kate Bush etc...even comparable to mighty Rush in terms of immediate impact.
I know the moral implications of downloading but I look at it as a 'try before you buy' medium and by Ged am I pleased with these downloads. So pleased in fact that I have already ordered both 'Deadwing' and 'In Absentia' from the net. These are albums one simply has to own!
'In Absentia' is THE album of the year for me so far. When I have the time I will elaborate.
Thanks.
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

Ogg wrote:!!!
How the fuck have I missed out on this amazing band? (excuse my Klatchian).
I ask myself that same question Ogg. I at first thought them weird when Dan showed me a video from In Absentia. Eventually a few other songs were getting me curious.
Ogg wrote: I know the moral implications of downloading but I look at it as a 'try before you buy' medium and by Ged am I pleased with these downloads. So pleased in fact that I have already ordered both 'Deadwing' and 'In Absentia' from the net. These are albums one simply has to own!
'In Absentia' is THE album of the year for me so far. When I have the time I will elaborate.
Thanks.
I will also slowly get more albums. I am unemployed at the moment so there isn't much money for me and D.A. knows I like to shop. :twisted: The Sky Moves Sideways album has me in a trance and I love Dislocated Day. Killer guitar and Steve Wilson is one kickin musician. My favorite song from Signify is Waiting. I keep playing that one a lot. I have yet to listen to the rest of it.

BTW, have you heard of another band called Threshold Ogg?
I love my Welshman.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

rushlight wrote:
BTW, have you heard of another band called Threshold Ogg?
Oh my Ged, is there a band named 'Threshold Ogg'? Did my reputation inspire them THAT much? :-D :-D :-D .
I will certainly check out 'Threshold' asap :-) .

Hey RL' check your pm's for some forthcoming happy vibes.
schuette

Post by schuette »

Ogg wrote:
Oh my Ged, is there a band named 'Threshold Ogg'? Did my reputation inspire them THAT much? :-D :-D :-D .

LOL!!! :lol:
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Im back to work tomorrow after a week and one bank holiday, a week dominated by Porcupine Tree of course, be it blasting out on the stereo or the pc speakers, in the car cd player and my mp3 player when I walk the dog. I just cant get enough of them and my woman is beginning to doubt my sanity. I havent had a band take me like this for a long long time and I feel a little younger today :-) .
To be honest my listening time has been torn between the 'Deadwing' and 'In Absentia' albums paticulary 'arriving somewhere' from DW and of course 'blackest eyes' 'trains', basically all of IA really. The amazing 'the sound of muzak' has had me attempting to work out the drum pattern all week and I still cant suss it out, the drummer Gavin Harrison is a genius.
I've given 'Signify' a few listens and love 'sleep of no dreaming'.
I'm off now, damn work.
schuette

Post by schuette »

I'm so glad that you like PT.....I was really glad when someone introduced me to them :-D
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

(To Devil's Advocate)

He's one of us now my love. Muwahahahahahaha! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :razz:

I'm collecting a few pics of Steve. He's just got the voice and mystery that makes him impossible to ignore.
I love my Welshman.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

When I get into a band I really get into them and no band has had an effect on me like PT for a long long time . I was lucky that I found a PT discography to begin with, then I d'ld lossless 'flac' versions of my fav albums (much larger file size-longer to d'ld) and finally I forked out some readies and intend to buy them all.
I have already bought 'Signify' 'In Abesntia' 'Deadwing' and 'TSkyMS' , I have ordered 'Blackfield' and the dvd-audio versions of IA and DW until I find some more damn money .
I have two amazing XM radio sessions, the rare 'Recordings' and various limited thingies (again from the net) including a cool 90's BBC sessions disc. I have an excellent TV broadcast concert dvd from Nov last year and a dvd audio rip of the same concert (that I made myself) is one of my most listened to. Gavin Harrison is up there with Mr Peart imho.
Add to this hours of googling for info and a quest to purchase a PT t-shirt (I cant find any in stock!) you could say I like them a little .
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

The next one I am hoping to get is Up the Downstair. :-)
I love my Welshman.
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

I ordered Up the Downstair and it'll be here soon. I'm considering In Absentia even though I call it the killer album and it freaked me out before. I haven't listened closely to the words but it's probably the very best they ever did. The dvd version is $20. I can wait.:)
I love my Welshman.