Porcupine Tree .

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Walkinghairball wrote:Marn went out and bought us "Fear of a Blank Planet" after she brought lunch to my work.
I will be spinning a groove thru this CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Walkinghairball wrote:How can one get depressed while listening to a drumming monster like Gavin Harrison??????

Man, that dude can play.
Wow! Truly converted to both Porcupine Tree AND the genius that is (my mate) Gavin Harrison bro! I like to think that I had a hand in that...toldja :-D .
PV wrote:Just have your anti-depressants handy, Hairy!
PV wrote:It's just the whole overtone of the album... *hides sharp objects*
Personally I disagree PV. I love the album and it's concept. The point is one of observing, I find it prompts thought which can only be a good thing. I love the whole feel of the thing, 'Way Out of Here' is my personal fav' :-) .
One complaint is that the album is far too short at barely over fifty minutes. Apparently Steve Wilson believes folk would get bored with anything over an hour...eh? Not us mate. I've read of the track 'Nil Recurring' (With Robert Fripp) that didnt make the album but should feature somewhere down the line.
I have a rather interesting two part BBC radio interview with Mr Wilson. The first part features three 'in-session' live recordings of FOAB tracks from here in England. The second, Mr Wilson is being interviewed by none other than Bruce Dickinson although two tracks from the studio album are played.
Finally I have a cool sounding boot' from a recent show here in England 'Bristol Academy 24th April '07. The gig I was hoping to attend but couldnt due to a severe lack of money and transport, sigh. Interesting set list and they played 'Drown With Me' from the 'In Absentia' bonus disc...which is nice :-D .
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Ogg wrote:
Walkinghairball wrote:Marn went out and bought us "Fear of a Blank Planet" after she brought lunch to my work.
I will be spinning a groove thru this CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Walkinghairball wrote:How can one get depressed while listening to a drumming monster like Gavin Harrison??????

Man, that dude can play.
Wow! Truly converted to both Porcupine Tree AND the genius that is (my mate) Gavin Harrison bro! I like to think that I had a hand in that...toldja :-D .
Oh yes you did!!! :-D
This space for rent
rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

Getting psyched for the PT show this Saturday in NYC....

Check out this video of SW doing an acoustic version of Sentimental, from the new album:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=5 ... =yfp-t-501
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

rushfanfla wrote:Getting psyched for the PT show this Saturday in NYC....
Check out this video of SW doing an acoustic version of Sentimental, from the new album:
Cool post mate :-) .
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

rushfanfla wrote:Getting psyched for the PT show this Saturday in NYC....

We want a review! And pics!
Onward and Upward!
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

Sorry, t... No pics... Mike and I did have our picture taken by some Nokia sales people so if I can get it scanned it, I'll post it!

As far as my review... Well... It's mixed. :oops: It was a great day - which included dinner at Mars 2112 :-D in Times Square before the show - and it was very cool to think I was in the same room with Stephen, Gavin, et al. But I couldn't see anything! I hate being so short... I watched the show on a tv monitor. :cry: And according to Mike the volume was too low for a PT show. The set list was geared more to the "spacey" side of their music and I'm a rockin' side fan. They did play "Blackest Eyes" (my introduction to PT song) and "Halo" (one of my most favorite of favorites) and those rocked! :cool: So it comes to this... It was a great night, I'm glad I was there, but I'm looking forward to seeing them again for the TRUE PT experience. :-D
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

Here we go again!

Got tix for PT in NYC on October 13.

Hoping this show is more enjoyable than the last for PV - I want her to know the true joy of a PT show!

Mike
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Ohhhhhhhh, take me!!!!!!!
This space for rent
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

Gavin Harrison...

Here's a nice, intimidating jazzy piece:

http://drummerworld.com/Videos/gavinharrisonswerve.html

CLANK!!
(The sound of my jaw hitting the floor)

Hairball, dig how he has different beaters on his double pedal?
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
Walkinghairball

Yeah, I used to flip my left to the hard plastic to get the punch of my right foot....................back in the metal days.

How bout the drum and cymbal solo vids????
This space for rent
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

Sat 20th Oct - ATLANTIC CITY, THE SHELL AT TRUMP MARINA

I am going there for training to be a boat captain LOL next month (a whole week, thank you tax payers :-D ) wish it was when PT was playing. I have been trying to get tickets to that show with no luck...yet. I just started listening to them recently, a bit slow... but glad I eventually did.
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

By the way, if anyone has any resources were I might be able to score a ticket let me know.

Thanks,

Tater
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Mr. Potatoe Head wrote:By the way, if anyone has any resources were I might be able to score a ticket let me know.

Thanks,

Tater
Spudly,

try www.stubhub.com :-D
Don't start none...won't be none.
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

Walkinghairball wrote:How bout the drum and cymbal solo vids????
I love those. The cymbal song is my favorite of the two. Ya gotta love a mind that think in polyrhythms like that. Heck, I'm still struggling with 3 over 4 and playing in 7/8...let alone 5 over 4 over 9 or whatever insane stuff....

One thing I really like about everybody in Porcupine Tree is that they can play so technically and emotionally at the same time.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
Walkinghairball

Yes. When they are being pretty and melodic you want to sleep or cry, and when they are heavy and crunchy you just want to crush something.

At least I do. heheheheheheheh. :-D
This space for rent