Porcupine Tree .

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

rushfanfla wrote:Porcupine Tree 2009 US Tour Dates!

I will be in attendance on Sep. 26

Tue 15 Sept: SEATTLE, WA - MOORE THEATER
Wed 16 Sept: PORTLAND, OR - ROSELAND
Fri 18 Sept: SAN FRANCISCO - WARFIELD
Sat 19 Sept: LOS ANGELES - CLUB NOKIA
Mon 21 Sept: CLEVELAND, OH - HOUSE OF BLUES
Tue 22 Sept: CHICAGO, IL - VIC THEATER
Thu 24 Sept: NY, NY - TERMINAL 5
Sat 26 Sept: PHILLY - ELECTRIC FACTORY
Sun 27 Sept: BOSTON, MA - HOUSE OF BLUES

Tue 29 Sept: MONTREAL - METROPOLIS
Wed 30 Sept: TORONTO - QUEEN ELIZABETH THEATRE

Supporting PT in Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco: That 1 Guy
In Los Angeles: Bigelf
Remaining Dates: King's X
Tickets go on sale Saturday for the Boston show and funding is way too tight for me to go- maybe next time.
rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

Ogg wrote:****in awesome rushfanfla...and the great Kings X supporting, so envious. I tried to get tickets for the Bristol UK show, only waited a day until pay day, not a chance, sold out already :( Never been so pissed off in my life...still am actually. You'll have to let us know how it went when the time arrives.
I'm determined to wait for the new album this time and not succumb to any leaks like I did with FOABP, ruined it for me as I knew all the songs in advance, albeit in stages. Have you heard OSI with Gavin Harrison yet?
Not really a fan of OSI, but that's probably due to my prejudice against all things Dream Theater related, especially Mike Portnoy and James Labrie. I may have to give this a fair listen to see if I like it more.

It seems that this tour PT is playing in worse venues than the past few tours. It won't keep me from seeing them, just an observation. PT show #7 for me arrives here in Philly on Sep. 26.

Mike
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Porcupine Tree are happy to announce the forthcoming release of their tenth studio album "The Incident". The record is set to be released via Roadrunner Records worldwide on 21st September, as a double CD.

The centre-piece is the title track, which takes up the whole of the first disc. The 55-minute work is described as ?a slightly surreal song cycle about beginnings and endings and the sense that ?after this, things will never be the same again?.?

The self-produced album is completed by four standalone compositions that developed out of band writing sessions last December - Flicker, Bonnie The Cat, Black Dahlia, and Remember Me Lover feature on a separate EP length disc to stress their independence from the song cycle.

Video footage of the band in the studio working on The Incident, as well as audio previews, will be available online soon. The band will tour extensively to promote the album from mid September onwards.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! :D
This space for rent
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

The tempting temptress that is the cool footage of Porcupine Tree in the studio recording 'The Incident' 8)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/video/ ... ongID=2503

THE release of the year :-)
rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

THE INCIDENT
i occam?s razor (1.55)
ii the blind house (5.47)
iii great expectations (1.26)
iv kneel and disconnect (2.03)
v drawing the line (4.43)
vi the incident (5.20)
vii your unpleasant family (1.48 )
viii the yellow windows of the evening train (2.00)
ix time flies (11.40)
x degree zero of liberty (1.45)
xi octane twisted (5.03)
xii the s?ance (2.39)
xiii circle of manias (2.18 )
xiv i drive the hearse (6.41)
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

PORCUPINE TREE REVEAL DETAILS OF NEW ALBUM 'THE INCIDENT
16/06/2009Grammy-nominated UK recording artist PORCUPINE TREE have confirmed the title of their tenth studio album: The Incident. The captivating new record is set to be released via Roadrunner Records on September 21, as a double CD.

Prepare to embark on a thrilling audio journey. In turns haunting, unnerving, desolate, hypnotic, and euphoric, its centre-piece is the title track ? a stunning 55-minute musical statement, described by vocalist/guitarist/songwriter Steven Wilson as ?a slightly surreal song cycle about beginnings and endings and the sense that ?after this, things will never be the same again?.?

The seeds of the idea that led to The Incident came to Wilson as he became caught up in a motorway traffic jam whilst driving past a road accident.

?There was a sign saying ?POLICE ? INCIDENT? and everyone was slowing down to rubber neck to see what had happened,? he recalls. ?Afterwards, it struck me that ?incident? is a very detached word for something so destructive and traumatic for the people involved. And then I had the sensation that the spirit of someone that had died in the car accident entered into my car and was sitting next to me.

?The irony of such a cold expression for such seismic events appealed to me, and I began to pick out other ?incidents? reported in the media and news,? continues Wilson. ?I wrote about the evacuation of teenage girls from a religious cult in Texas, a family terrorizing its neighbours, a body found floating in a river by some people on a fishing trip, and more. Each song is written in the first person and tries to humanize the detached media reportage.?

Additionally, Wilson delved back into incidents in his own life that had profoundly affected him, including a lost childhood friendship, a seance, his first love, and the day that he decided to give up secure employment to follow his dream of making music.

The self-produced album is completed by four standalone compositions that developed out of band writing sessions last December ? Flicker, Bonnie The Cat, Black Dahlia, and Remember Me Lover ? housed on a separate CD to stress their independence from the title track.

Porcupine Tree ? completed by Gavin Harrison (drums), Colin Edwin (bass), and Richard Barbieri (keyboards) ? took a video camera into the recording studio, capturing a few moments to share with fans. Explore the behind-the-scenes footage in the player below.

Coming to the recording sessions following his first ever solo album, November 2008?s Insurgentes, Wilson admits that the experience of having worked alone affected the direction of The Incident. ?Possibly because of having done that, this record is darker, expansive, and more experimental,? he theorizes. ?But when I write for Porcupine Tree, I know the sound I?m after.?

Porcupine Tree?s latest masterpiece The Incident will be released September 21.
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page ... s_id=78705

:-)
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Some will know via facebook that it was my birthday yesterday and a grand day it was :-) Anyway, a late present from the good woman...

TWO TICKETS TO SEE PORCUPINE TREE AT BRISTOL OCT 10TH !!!!

The show I failed to find tickets for....Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!! :-D

Oct 08 2009 LEEDS, UK: Academy
Oct 09 2009 LONDON, UK: Hammersmith Apollo
Oct 10 2009 BRISTOL, UK: Colston Hall :-D
Oct 12 2009 AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands: Heineken Hall
Oct 13 2009 PARIS, FRANCE: Olympia Theater
Oct 14 2009 BRUSSELS, Belgium: Ancienne
rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

A 7 minute preview of the album is now up on Myspace!

http://www.myspace.com/porcupinetree

Enjoy!
Mike
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Me likie!!!!! :D
This space for rent
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

As a taster of what is to come from the new album, Steven Wilson himself has put together a montage of 'The Incident' and this is streaming in the player below NOW!!!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page ... s_id=80069

Simply awesome.
Talk about geeky behaviour, recently joined the PT 'street team' in order to assist with flyers, posters when I get to see them in October :-D
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Pre-order the forthcoming new album here http://www.rhino.co.uk/porcupinetree/ in order to receive a code to download an edit of the new 'Time Flies' track...wow. I'm hearing a Pink Floyd 'Animals' vibe.
" I was born in '67 The year of Sgt Pepper..." so sings Steven Wilson... and so was I :-)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/porc ... /incident/

The tale begins slowly with 'Occam's Razor', gaining momentum and intensity with 'The Blind House,' 'Drawing The Line', and 'The Incident' itself, though the group's masterful manipulation of sounds and textures is never overlooked. The mellowness of 'The Yellow Windows Of The Evening Train,' for instance, is accompanied by the gentle crackle of a needle on vinyl ? for all his skill as a producer and remixer, Wilson is a staunch supporter of the 'old' ways of listening to music. Incorporating both of these styles, 'Octane Twisted' somehow batters and seduces simultaneously, while 'I Drive The Hearse,' further sweetened by an uplifting guitar climax, is an intoxicating slice of melancholy with which to book-end the record?s 14-piece song cycle.

The seeds of the idea that led to 'The Incident' came to Steven Wilson as he became caught up in a motorway traffic jam whilst driving past a road accident. "There was a sign saying 'POLICE ? INCIDENT' and everyone was slowing down to rubber neck what had happened," he recalls. "Afterwards, it struck me that 'incident' is a very detached word for something so destructive and traumatic for the people involved". Additionally, Wilson delved back into incidents in his own life that had profound affected him, including a lost childhood friendship, a s?ance, his first love, and the day that he decided to give up secure employment to follow his dream of making music. The album's epic song, an 11-minute Pink Floyd-flavoured masterpiece called 'Time Flies', for instance, begins with the line: "I was born in 1967." 'The Incident' is completed by four standalone compositions all housed on a separate CD to stress their independence from the record's main 14-part suite.

As with 'Fear Of A Blank Planet', the Wilson-helmed 5.1 mix of which was nominated in the Best Surround Album Award at the 2007 Grammies (eventually losing out to The Beatles' 'Love'), Porcupine Tree will be performing 'The Incident' in its entirety during the first shows of its next world tour
rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

Sounds like the end of Sheep from PF Animals!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

H/T to www.littlegreenfootballs.com "Sunday Night Music" thread

A great performance from Porcupine Tree?s concert DVD
"Arriving Somewhere."

The song is ?Blackest Eyes? from the album "In Absentia."

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article ... ckest_Eyes

The drummer in this band, Gavin Harrison, is a monster.
I?m talking Godzilla-type monster. Scary.
Don't start none...won't be none.