Porcupine Tree .

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

PV wrote:I love this band! A friend of mine turned me on to them about two years ago and I am hooked.
Always good to have friends!

Just saw their last show of the US tour 3 weeks ago - great stuff to come, really enjoyed a lot of the new songs they previewed. If I had to pick a favorite it would definitely be Stupid Dream, a combination of all eras of PT.

NP: Porcupine Tree - Dark Matter
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Hmmmmmmmmm...this PT thing seems to be addictive. It is taking over my friends and acquaintances! LOL

*stalking RFF*
Onward and Upward!
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

Highly addictive, t! I caution you! But you can't go wrong so dive on in! I hear Stephen Wilson loves coffee... :wink:
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I only discovered PT in April of this year and I listened to them EVERY day straight for six months! I now know every song from every album and consider them my personal find of the decade.
I admit I haven't been playing them as much of late having killed it for a while although the new live dvd 'Arriving Somewhere' briefly resuurected the passion. Anyone else seen it yet?

For the record I have a cool 'Steve Wilson' boot that I've just finished playing.

STEVEN WILSON
Tel Aviv, Jah-Pan Club, Israel - January 24th 2003

This exceptional gig was given by Steven Wilson to the Israeli fans
in January 2003. Alone with his guitar, and for the first time ever,
he played a request show. As a result, a whole set of unique live
unplugged versions, including tracks that were never played live
before. This was captured with a MD through the soundboard. Israeli
superstar and half of Blackfield Aviv Geffen joined for Feel So Low.

:cool: <----Me :).
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

I have

On the Sunday of Life
Signify
Up the Downstair/Staircase Infinities
Lightbulb Sun
Sky Moves Sideways
InAbsentia (for dvd)
Warzawa
Deadwing
Stupid Dream
Arriving Somewhere Dvd
No-Man :
Flowermouth
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I am REALLY surprised no one has yet noted that Alex is gonna be on the next PT album.
Onward and Upward!
rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

http://porcupinetree.com/news.cfm

The first Porcupine Tree 2007 tour dates to coincide with the release of the band's new album in April 2007 (through Roadrunner in Europe and Atlantic in the US) have been announced. The tour will commence with the longest string of UK dates the band have undertaken for several years:

18th April : GLASGOW, ABC
19th April : NEWCASTLE, Academy
20th April : PRESTON, 53 Degrees
22nd April : NOTTINGHAM, Rock City
23rd April : WOLVERHAMPTON, Wulfren
24th April : BRISTOL, Academy
25th April : CAMBRIDGE, Junction
29th April : LONDON, Forum

Details of booking websites and telephone hotlines can be found on the tour dates page, but please note that in most cases tickets for these shows will not be on sale until late December. As many of the band's recent shows have been selling out, booking tickets in advance is definitely advisable (especially for London).

Many more tour dates announcements to follow, watch this space.
schuette

Post by schuette »

cheers for that....I will be looking into the Glasgow gig :-D
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE let there be something in July!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

awip2062 wrote:I am REALLY surprised no one has yet noted that Alex is gonna be on the next PT album.
I read that on Power Windows, supposedly a leak from the 'official' PT fanzine 'Carbon Nation'. Robert Fripp also guests but no details.
To think we'll have the new 'Blackfield' in February with both RUSH and Porcupine Tree in April. *sits there with daft grin plastered across one's chacks* :-) .

I watched the entire 'Arriving Somewhere' dvd in bed early this fine sunday morning. The Mrs at work and the kids asleep. A little herbal remedy to enhance the vibe and tranquiity was achieved. Gavin Harrison is a genius.

Hoping to get tickets for the Bristol show after xmas, if there are any left :(
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

I like Gavin more than Neil. :twisted:

I didn't believe the thing with Alex first but yup it is true. I still am collecting all PT albums. Steve just blows me away and In Absentia is bloody marvelous. :twisted:
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Hope you can see this. My extensive PT collection of mp3's, flac, boots, dvd-a and dvd. I've only bought five so far though :( . Many hours of browsing, downloading, uploading :-D . My personal discovery of 2006. I know, I do tend to go on and on...

rushlight wrote:I like Gavin more than Neil. :twisted:

I didn't believe the thing with Alex first but yup it is true. I still am collecting all PT albums. Steve just blows me away and In Absentia is bloody marvelous. :twisted:
I couldn't/wouldn't admit to liking Gavin Harrison more than Neil as you can't compare twenty five years of inspiration to not even one year in the company of Mr Harrison. What I DO like about GH is his abilty to alter his fills and groove depending on the nights vibe. Sure the inestimable Mr Peart can improvise but he does tend to (generally) stick rigidly to the studio take.
What blows me away is GH's double pedal technique and the subsequent colour this brings to his playing *heel,toe/heel,toe*, no better example than the awesome 'Mother and Child Divided' imho. I mean, have you ever tried playing along to any of his material? Take 'The Sound of Muzak' for instance. It's easy to master the very basic snare and kick pattern but when you attempt to replicate not only the odd timed hat signature AND include the snare frills...bugger! I won't even mention the ride/bell pattern in the chorus.

Yep RL' 'In Absentia' is bloody marvellous...and I'm playing '.3' the now :-) .
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Isn't it grand that we can find individuals that inspire us like these men?

And Darren, it's okay to go on and on about things. We understand. I think many of us here suffer from the same thing.
Onward and Upward!
DutchRush

Post by DutchRush »

awip2062 wrote:I am REALLY surprised no one has yet noted that Alex is gonna be on the next PT album.
Not only that! I heard as well, that Rush and Porcupine Tree were even considering touring together...
Last time they were here (last September), they played a lot of stuff that will be on the new album, didn't sound bad although I prefer the Lightbulb Sun stuff a wee bit more...but, as they say, "we can't have it all eh?" :cool:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Rush can't go back to touring with another band! :shock:
Onward and Upward!