Porcupine Tree .

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

DutchRush

Post by DutchRush »

awip2062 wrote:Rush can't go back to touring with another band! :shock:
That's what I said too, but one just never knows...it would be a very good package never the less, wouldn't it?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I would have to agree, yes.
Onward and Upward!
DutchRush

Post by DutchRush »

One thing that HAs to change though, iis that PT must really improve their live performances...or ehm..better said, organize their setlists better. They have to play more various stuff...of ?ll the five times I've seen them sofar, just ?ne of those perfprmances were v?ry, v?ry good...the rest was soso...and I hate myself saying that..
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

Rush are great yeah but I haven't been listening to them anymore. I've listened to them since I was fifteen but only them. I rushed myself out unfortunately and I hated being called neil peart wannabe by the band teacher of high school. When Dan and I started dating, he got me hooked on threshold, dream theater, thin lizzy, and eventually Porcupine Tree. I fell for PT but to prevent losing interest in them in the future like I did Rush, I'm spreading out my interest in music and musicians. Gavin has some excellent drumming skills that are so different from Neil Peart. It isn't just Gavin I liked. I like Ginger Baker, Cozy Powell (wow), and Mike Portnoy.

Hey Ogg, did you get a PT shirt yet? I got one before they inhaled everything. :shock:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I think it is good to listen to a bunch of different bands with different styles. I go on binges with bands (currently back to a heavy dose of Dio -- again LOL) but I listen to a wide spectrum of things because there is just so much awesome stuff out there! I love it when someone introduces me to new stuff too (THANKS OGG!).

As for top notch drummers...oh man! We could go on and on about them, couldn't we? *droools*
Onward and Upward!
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

Soon as I get my pt shirt, I'll model it soon. Forget what I said previously. :-"

Hey Ogg, have you tried No-Man yet? Steve doesn't sing but he is good with the music. :cool:
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

Modern Drummer magazine has a good article about Gavin Harrison this month - even giving him a cover mention! :cool: It's kind of technical for us non-musician types but I enjoyed it anyway!

http://www.moderndrummer.com/currentissue.php
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

Did you see him perform his cymbal song? Incredible. I used to think Neil was the only drum genius.

I'm hooked on the song Linton Samuel Dawson. Steve just sounds so weird. :-D
I love my Welshman.
rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

http://porcupinetree.com/news.cfm

Fear of a Blank Planet
01-06-2007
Roadrunner Records and Atlantic USA have officially announced the release of the new Porcupine Tree album "Fear of a Blank Planet" in mid April. The album features six (mostly lengthy) tracks, and is the band's most ambitious and cohesive work to date. Much of it was debuted last year on tour to a rapturous response from fans.

The lyrical content of the song-cycle on the album is a 21st century cocktail of MTV, sex, prescription drugs, video games, the internet, terminal boredom, and subsequent escape.

More news and previews of the album to follow on this site.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

rushfanfla wrote:http://porcupinetree.com/news.cfm

Fear of a Blank Planet
01-06-2007
Roadrunner Records and Atlantic USA have officially announced the release of the new Porcupine Tree album "Fear of a Blank Planet" in mid April. The album features six (mostly lengthy) tracks, and is the band's most ambitious and cohesive work to date. Much of it was debuted last year on tour to a rapturous response from fans.

The lyrical content of the song-cycle on the album is a 21st century cocktail of MTV, sex, prescription drugs, video games, the internet, terminal boredom, and subsequent escape.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

Ogg wrote:
rushfanfla wrote:http://porcupinetree.com/news.cfm

Fear of a Blank Planet
01-06-2007

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

WHAT HE SAID! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
I love my Welshman.
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

^^^ What they said!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

My PT list:

On the Sunday of Life
Signify
Up the Downstair
The Sky Moves Sideways
Stupid Dream
Lightbulb Sun
In Absentia
Deadwing
Staircase Infinities
Warzawa
Coma Divine
Stars Die: The Delirium Years

No Man (Steve does instrumental on this album. Tim Bowness is the singer. Pretty much like Soft Cell but one or two songs have a hint of PT to them. Wilson fans can check them out.)
Flowermouth
Returning Jesus
I love my Welshman.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I found three 'No Man' albums but I can't seem toget into them the now.

Most interesting fact being the cool find that is 'Out Absentia' "a fan based collection of demos outakes and bonus cuts".
A few remixes, a webcast, extended tracks and of most importance to us PT geeks, a few tracks from the original In Absentia' demos featuring a drum machine. Legend has it that these are the demos the (then) sesson drummer Gavin Harrison used for his performance, thus impressing Steve Wilson enough to be asked to join.
rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

From Porcupinetree.com

Fear of a Blank Planet track listing
01-31-2007

Following two album playback events in New York and at Abbey Road in London, the track listing of the new Porcupine Tree album "Fear of a Blank Planet" has been revealed:

1. Fear of a Blank Planet (7.28 )
2. My Ashes (5.07)
3. Anesthetize (17.42)
4. Sentimental (5.26)
5. Way Out of Here (7.37)
6. Sleep Together (7.28 )

The album is set for April release through Roadrunner in Europe, Atlantic in the US, and WHD Entertainment in Japan. It's likely that both the stereo CD and 5.1 surround sound DVDA will be packaged together as standard.

Please note that a version of the album currently listed on several mail order sites in Japan with an additional track included in the running order, and supposedly coming out in March, categorically does not exist, so do not order it!