Guitarists' Thread

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

CygnusX1

Guitarists' Thread

Post by CygnusX1 »

Whaddya got? Whaddya play? 6, 7, 12-strings? Basses? A 5,000-Dollar Gibson? A 100-Dollar Pawnshopper? It doesn't matter... :-D

I'm looking for all the players out there....doesn't matter if you play well or not, for you still PLAY, and that's the bottom line--BECAUSE STONE COLD SAID SO :headbang:

To start off, I have a vintage '84 Kramer that I started rebuilding a few days ago...I'm into teardown now, and it's already got good, shiny, totally blue paint, so I (being the rabid Colts fan I am) am gonna create a "Kolts Kramer", with white stripes and a horseshoe somewhere on it....Also thinking about putting Peytons's number on it...Goona rewire the electronics while I'm at it, for it looks like a spider web in there... :-D

gotta make SURE those grounds are solid, so I don't do the "sixty-hertz-shuffle" while playing :headbang:

It's a Pacer Imperial, 2-Humbucker (Neck: Duncan 59NJ, Bridge: Duncan Trembucker 1PJ), natural finish 2-piece neck, rosewood fretboard, turned-down-banana-hockey-stick headpiece, Schaller tuners, Floyd locking tremolo...Got it from a starving musician for 200 bucks...

hopefully get some pics for ya soon...okay...I've said MY piece...let's hear from YOU! (as in: AWIP!, YYZ!, XAN!...and the rest of you axeheads) :-D

This oughtta be cool thread for advice and resources too...Cya!
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Axehead? Hmmmmm.....never been called that before, but, I can handle it.

\m/

What have I got....oh dear *looks toward the band room* umm....

Well, I had a 20th Anniversary Edition red Squire Strat, but I traded it to my youngest son for his black, 21st year Squire, as his wasn't working well. He had taken it apart and painted it and was having trouble getting it back, so, I figured I could take it and fix it up myself at a later time. He loves the red Strat but has his heart set on a Les some day.

Les is more.

I have a middle of the line Yamaha classical guitar. Sounds pretty. Named it Randy after some dead guy.

My main axe is my black Jackson Dinky with a double locking trem. LOVE it. The neck feels great in my hands. It has the reverse headstock common to Jacksons and sharktooth inlays. It is named Gabe (I name everything, my gits, my plants, my van, even my kids!).

My bass is a blue Ibanez 405 (that means it is a five-string for those that don't know how the numbers work). I was playing a friend's four-string, and I played my husbands (since become my eldest son's) Fender Precision which is a four-string, but the work I was doing required me to follow a piano line often and I needed that nice low B note. The bass is named Rudy.

I also have a wee white six-string that we got for Aerosmitten when she was just a preschooler. It is cracked in places from when she used to pretend she was Ozzy and smashie-bashied it like she was Pete Townshend. LOL We keep it about for travelling so we have something small to take and keep our fingies used to playing. Interestingly enough, it doesn't have a name...hmmmmm....must fix that.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Indeeeeeeeeeed...Les is MORE $$$$ hahaha

No offense, but if I had a Squier, I'd wanna upgrade too :-D

great beginners' git tho.....Yamaha makes decent acoustics too...Played a couple myself...Now the Jackson....there's some noise :headbang: stock pickups are pretty hot on those huh?

I like Ibanez strictly for the weight reduction....I don't know HOW they make those so light...the things they do with polymers these days!

I liked the GABE and RUDY stories...you gotta get a name for Aerosmitten's git! Or let HER name it...that's just not right t !!

good good read t....
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

The Squires were bought simply for the fact that they were decent starters. I was just getting back into playing and Eagle was just starting. They have done us well.

I got a Fender practice amp with mine, 10-watt, been good to me until I upgraded to my 60-watt. Stayed with Fender becuase it was working well, but hubby has a real bee in his bonnet to get us a nice full stack of Marshalls.

The pickups are good in the Jackson, yeah. I like the way it sounds, but I do want to get a fiddle with single-coils too. That way I will have some more versatility.

My bass is not really so light, but it is a dense wood. Great sustain though!

I will rectify things and name the wee guitar. *thinks*
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

yeah, I was gonna say...good starter gits....and OHHHHOHHOHHHOH a Marshall stack....you could plug STRAIGHT into those(a la Thin Lizzy) and GO....sweet.....geez...

I'm cheap....I'm sportin' a 40W Crate...hahaha It'll make the windows breathe though hahaha gotta use a ZOOM module to get good tone out of it though :cry:

Are YOU gonna name the wee git, is Aerosmitten, or should you (or should I say, DARE YOU) let the readers name it? (hey! that could be another thread!) :-D

The guy I bought KK from...he GLUED THE BOLT-ON NECK as well as screwed it, and it has killer sustain too, albeit still not as good as a set-neck...Lord help me when it's time for a new neck... :shock:
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

The Seymour Duncan Tone Prayer

Our tone-inspired leader,
Who art in Santa Barbara,
Greatly respected be thy reputation.

Thy tone be known,
Thy distribution be wide,
To all, as it is in California.

Give us this day RIPPING TONE :headbang:,
And forgive our use of crappy stock pickups,
As we forgive those who didn't know any better.

Lead us not into forays with wannabe pickups,
But deliver us from the blandness that is their timbre,
For thine is the pinnacle, the essence, the critical ingredient--
of the tone for which we seek--

Amen :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Oh dear, I must admit I was considering dropping Carvins in the Squire Strat when I refurbish it.

Then again, I was considering putting some screaming Tony Iommi signature pickups in. Only problem...they are not single-coils, and I need a guitar with singles.

Oh the troubles I have! LOL
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

not troubles...CHOICES!!! hahaha

There's lots of 'em to choose from....DiMarzio's a good choice too...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I was being sarcastic about the troubles, Siggs. When I look about at the world, I realize I have no problems compared to so many out there.

In our house, we call troubles like the pick-up issue "options." My husband says he is Option Guy. It is nice to have options too.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

I know dear....and that's awesome you look at it that way, 'cuz I do too....Just when I think it can't get any worse, I think about things like, a guy or gal who's paraplegic and driving a car...yeah, they could be bitter about being handicapped, but at least THEY CAN DRIVE...yaknow?

like you said...OPTIONS...not PROBLEMS :-D
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Speaking of choice's................................ Im a drummer, can I play here too????

My fave git is a Les Black Beauty, but That can change too. :-D
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

only as long as you put practice heads on your drums... :-D

you're a mod Hairy....you have carte blanche dude :headbang:

have a seat and chill with us :-D
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

you mean the 3-pickup deal--like Frampton and Ace Frehley played?

that is a sweet git, but too much tone management for me.... :-D
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Yep, that's the kind. It is so cool to hear. My rhythm git player, plays a black SG, and on occasions, when the lead git Carvin don't wanna tune propper, he grabs the bass players Black Beauty. Man, what a kick ass tandem guitar sound.
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

I'll bet it IS shweeeeeeet....you could (conceivably) play just about ANY kind of music with it...

I love double-locking Floyd trems though...no tuning to it...tune it and tweak it a smidge next time you pick it up......the microtuners are the SH*T :headbang: