The N.W.O.B.H.M thread (and other classics)

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

The N.W.O.B.H.M thread (and other classics)

Post by Ogg »

For the more 'mature' amongst us the title of this shouldnt present a problem. Inspired by awips love of the classics I thought it best we reserve a place for 'Oldie Appreciation'.
I shall begin...One of my fav ever NWOBHM bands were SAXON, 'Denim and Leather', 'The Eagle has Landed', 'The Power and The Glory' etc etc. I dont think I could listen to them now but what fun we had together!
Oh misty eyes of nostalgia :-) .
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

Early Saxon albums were really cool. It's a shame they lost their edge trying to get airplay in the states. The same thing happened to Def Leppard, except they made it big.

You ever get into Angel Witch or Venom?
Strength and beauty destined to decay
so cut the rose in full bloom.
Till the fearless come and the act is done
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
schuette

Post by schuette »

sorry to say this but I always thought Venom were shit...
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

Oh, I can understand why. They're the most half-assed and amateurish band you could imagine. They epitomized the concept of bad taste, and wallowed in ignorance. They were the metal version of Crass, a band which could barely play their instruments.

But they were also brilliantly innovative. Many thrash bands owe a great deal of their style and technique to Venom's first three albums. Can you imagine Slayer, Bathory, or Celtic Frost without Venom? It's impossible. Those chromatic riffs with the ascending/descending pattern, the sloppy double bass rolls, and the albums recorded with the lowest fidelity possible (or even imaginable) set a precedent.

Their fans also managed to be more daft than the Motorhead crowd. That's quite something. [-X
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Now your veering off to more extreme kinds of metal, a genre that did nothing for me personally. Early Metallica and early Pantera aside the whole 'extreme' thing is a bit wanky imho :-D .

For ten points can any american here remember what NWOBHM stands for? :-) .

As for Motorhead fans, I got to see them (again) early '05 and that was a blast! I've never seen so many large breasts! I ended up at the front/on the side with a mate and we watched the young people mosh and throw themselves over the barrier only to be manhandled towards us by security :-) .
Last edited by Ogg on Fri May 19, 2006 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schuette

Post by schuette »

Hey!! I went to see Motorhead years ago and they were bloody brilliant :lol:
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

I like Motorhead alright, but they have all the subtlety and nuance of a brick connecting with a sledgehammer.

I once told a friend that I didn't "get" Motorhead. She said "It's Motorhead? What substance is there to not understand?"

:lol:

Ogg: New Wave of British Heavy Metal. You can send that bottle of Young's Double Chocolate to Bloomfileld, MI, c/o me. :thumbleft:
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

DoctorX wrote:Ogg: New Wave of British Heavy Metal. You can send that bottle of Young's Double Chocolate to Bloomfileld, MI, c/o me. :thumbleft:
Excellent, you have been accepted here. WHO are you Doctor X? You fit in here like a thing that fits very well. Have you been here before, am I just too stoned? An introductory thread would've been the polite thing to do dont you know? Etiquette an all that :-) .
schuette

Post by schuette »

but if you want to stay mysterious ignore Ogg and PM me instead :razz:
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

schuette wrote:but if you want to stay mysterious ignore Ogg and PM me instead :razz:
Harlot! :-D
schuette

Post by schuette »

why thanks for the compliment kind sir :-D
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

*whispering* I've gained their trust. Now is the time to remove the mask *whispering*

I've never posted at this board before, but I'm known as HumanMachinery over at Counterparts. That board is down for the time being, so I figured I'd invade this place for a while. It's more to my liking than amr or trf, and I took an instant liking to all the self-deprecation and ironic jocularity I saw among the peeps here.

Oddly enough, by-tor is the first Rush website I ever visited on the internet. That was about ten years ago now. Small fucking world.

edit: Who am I? My name is Ryan, and I'm a journalism student who lives in the states. The "United States of Jesusland" comment under my handle is just a mockery, and a remark about my fear of encroaching American theocracy. I currently live in the same county I've spent my whole life in, about thirty miles norht of Detroit. Detroit is a decaying industrial town though, crumbling far beyond anything the ruins of England's north country have ever known. I hope to move out one day, but that's after I graduate.
Last edited by DoctorX on Fri May 19, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
schuette

Post by schuette »

DoctorX wrote:
I've never posted at this board before, but I'm known as HumanMachinery over at Counterparts. That board is down for the time being, so I figured I'd invade this place for a while
just for a while...? ......so your gonna up and leave when CP is back up?
I hope not your a good addition.....and the reason you didnt stay when you first encountered by-tor is cuz I wasnt posting :-D
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

Destiny! Destiny! No escaping, it's for me!

A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
schuette

Post by schuette »

yeah that fate shit got a lot to answer for ;)