The N.W.O.B.H.M thread (and other classics)

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

DoctorX wrote:I've never posted at this board before, but I'm known as HumanMachinery over at Counterparts.....
Ahhh. Thought I knew you from somewhere! Welcome aboard, from an ex-CPer!
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

Hey Dan. Good to hear from you again. It's been ages.
Strength and beauty destined to decay
so cut the rose in full bloom.
Till the fearless come and the act is done
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Ogg, you love me! A thread for NWOBHM bands!

Ahhh...Saxon....I remember lifting a fist in the air to Denim and Leather (amongst other such anthems). I must admit to exclaiming it to my children more than once as an adult also and pumping my fist in the air, with, of course the words that followed, "RISE UP TOGETHER!" Ah, and doesn't the husband love it when I wear denim jeans with the leather vest he bought me...yes, Denim and Leather rocks! \m/

I always did find it kinda weird though that some people lumped the Scorpions in the NWOBHM genre. *sigh* Brits they are not. Good German stock, that is what they are! Oh yeah! SEHR GUT!!!!

Motorhead....I remember seeing them at a club in Portland when Aero was wee. The gig was great fun, but for the lecture Lemmy gave us for moshing and stage diving. :oops: LOL I have always told Aero that she can be glad that although she got lectures from her dad, she didn't have Lemmy giving them to her! hehe My kids have yet to see Motorhead themselves, but they all know how Lemmy sets his mic. They sometimes will set theirs that way and say, "Hey! Look at me! I'm Lemmy!" The thing about Motorhead though, is that they aren't supposed to be sophisticated. It is a different niche altogether that they fill. Lemmy has admitted to feeling more at home with punks than metalheads anyway.

Hmmm...perhaps a good OLD SCHOOL punk thread, Oggy?
Onward and Upward!
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

Oh yeah, Motorhead had a punk influence. All the NWOBHM groups did, even Judas Priest (beginning with Stained Class). The only real difference between the British metal bands of that era, and the American thrash bands which came after them, was the influence of hardcore punk. Thrash kids grew up listening to The Dead Kennedys, Verbal Abuse, Fear, Bad Religion, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Agnostic Front, The Crumbsuckers, The Cro-mags, Ludichrist, DI, The Circle Jerks, and Social Distortion.

Hardcore was largely an American phenomenon, while most of the British bands went new wave. New wave didn't even register in the states, until the arrival of MTV. It was on the way out, until new romantic bands like Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, and Talk Talk. Hardcore was in total opposition to the shoegazing tunes of ebow guitar and analog synths. This was stripped down hard rock with only bass, drums, and guitar, playing songs under three minutes, with shouting vocals, three chords, and everything loud and fast as possible.

Stateside, punk was still a write-off for tax purposes. Americans didn't really pay any attention to the style in large numbers, until Nirvana came along. Hardcore punk was a niche market, but it popped up small pockets of bands (and followers) in cities like Washington DC, San Francisco, New York, and Los Angeles. Three of these cities saw the formation of the first thrash groups

Los Angeles: Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth

New York: Anthrax

San Francisco: Exodus

Hardcore punk was the difference. Thrash bands didn't start popping up in other parts of the country, until later in the decade, when the "big four" had already mde it on MTV. In cities like Hartford, Seattle, and Miami, American metal bands were more likely to resemble their English counterparts. This is why we also had Savatage, Armored Saint, Fates Warning, Queensryche, Metal Church, and Trouble.
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I can't believe I've not noticed this thread until now (show how observant I am). I grew up with the NWOBHM and it exploded just as I was seriously getting into rock music. Personally, I find it sad to see that so many people tend to dismiss it now as it gave rise to some fantastic music.

So, as to my favourites, I've got to put Diamond Head at the top of the list. I remember seeing them c1981 just after they has signed for MCA records and they were brilliant. If you can get hold of their self-financed debut, do so - its awesome. Sadly, the rest of their studio output didn't quite capture the raw energy of the band but are well worth a listen.

Witchfynde get a mention for two reasons - they were the first time I had come across a local band (they were based about 10 miles down the road from me) and they were the first band I ever saw live back in 1979. 'Give Em Hell', their debut album, was, for many years, one of my al-time favourites although I've not listened to it for a long time (not having a decent turntable can be a pain in the arse). Sadly, with the departure of vocalist Steve Bridges, they seemed to degenerate into farce. I've not heard anything they've done for a while so I can't comment on them now. By the way, don't confuse them with Wytchfynde which has been put together by former Witchfynde vocalist Luther Beltz (:smt044 what a bloody stupid name) and they look like the sort of band that would make Bad News blush with embarassment. I should also point out that the one on the far left of the band picture used to be the guitarist in my old band.

Personally, I was never a big fan of Saxon. I don't know why, but they never really struck a chord with me (although I love the Denim and leather album) and, when I saw them c1991 they had turned into a caberet band.

Anyways, if you're into NWOBHM, take yourself over to NWOBHM.com
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

awip2062 wrote:Ogg, you love me! A thread for NWOBHM bands!

Hmmm...perhaps a good OLD SCHOOL punk thread, Oggy?
We ALL love you t :-) .

Not the expert on old school punk so I'll leave that to someone else. My tastes are rather limited in that dept, namely The Sex Pistols, Public Image Ltd, anything with John Lydon really.
schuette

Post by schuette »

aww Ogg.....John Lydon was/is a fucking arse.....I loved the Buzcocks (sp) :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Wanna hear something funny? My son Bear has grown up at my knee listening to various genres of music but by far the majority of what I have fed him has been from bands like Sabbath, Ozzy, Priest, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera (what is this et cetera?). Even though I have raised him on this older school metal, his favorite is thrash. Most particularly Megadeth. As for punk bands though, I didn't play punk for him (for various reasons) until well after thrash was his beloved genre. So, his mother grew up listening to DK, Circle Jerks, and the like, as well as metal, and he is the one that ended up being a thrasher.

Slaine, I think I may have to cruise on over to that site. Thanks for the link!
Onward and Upward!
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

I love all the early English punk groups, even Crass and Generation X.

I can't decide whether I like The Jam or The Clash better. It's really a toss-up.

My favorite classic punk group? The Stooges. The second best outfit Detroit ever produced (behind Stevie Wonder).
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~