The Moody Blues

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

The Moody Blues

Post by Ogg »

I've let my grandson 'choose' an album these past few visits for my listening pleasure. This basically involves him grabbing a cd at random that I wrestle from him asap before he gets his fingerprints on the damn thing. Anyway, I promised myself that I'd play anything he chooses so I've listened to 'The Doors' Vivaldi's 'Four seasons' and a 'Tears for Fears' GHits with varying interest.

This morning he grabbed a double cd entitled 'This is the Moody Blues' and after blowing the dust off I got well into it, Connor failed to offer an opinion though :-) . It must be years since I played this but I've never been prompted to listen to the full albums until now. Not really a major fan having bought this second hand for Mrs Ogg.
Is anyone here familiar with them and would you recommend a paticular album? Good band though.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

We have not got any of their albums, sorry, Oggy. I have only listened to them when they came on the radio, although I don't turn them off when they do come on!
Onward and Upward!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I cant believe how good this 'Best Of' actually is. Not a major fan by any length of the imagination but track after track of pure quality.

"The Moody Blues are a British rock band originally from Birmingham, England. Founding members Michael Pinder and Ray Thomas performed an initially rhythm and blues-based sound in Birmingham in 1964 along with Graeme Edge and others, and were later joined by John Lodge and Justin Hayward as they inspired and evolved the progressive rock style. Among their innovations was a fusion with classical music, most notably in their seminal 1967 album Days of Future Passed.

The band has had numerous hit albums in the UK, US, and worldwide, and has seen several additional musicians come and go, and they remain active even as of 2007, with a US tour scheduled..."
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Brimingham, eh? Good bands from there.

And 1967 too. That was some year!
Onward and Upward!
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

Nice choice, Connor! :-D The Moody Blues are one of my favorite bands with "Nights In White Satin" being my favoritest of favorite songs. :cool:

My been way too long since I played these guys cuz I have most of their material on vinyl collection is comprised of --

- 1967 Days Of Future Past (featuring "Tuesday Afternoon" & "Nights In White Satin")
- 1968 In Search Of The Lost Chord (featuring "Ride My See-Saw")
- 1969 On The Threshold Of A Dream (featuring "The Voyage")
- 1970 A Question Of Balance (featuring "And The Tide Rushes In")
- 1972 Seventh Sojourn (featuring "Isn't Life Strange")
- 1981 Long Distance Voyager (featuring "Gemini Dream")
- 1983 The Present (featuring "Sorry" & "It's Cold Outside Of Your Heart")
- 1986 The Other Side Of Life (featuring "Your Wildest Dreams")

I kind of got lost on them at this point because they went really "poppy". I prefer the older (pre-1980s) Moody Blues.

Justin Hayward also put out a solo album in 1980 called Night Flight that I absolutely loved (but again haven't listened to in forever since I only have it on vinyl).

*PV decides she needs to either hook up her turntable or go buy that piece of stereo equipment she saw that will play your albums and record them onto cd* :cool:

And I know I have more somewhere but with all the moving I've done with my collection, things are spread out and mis-placed so I'd have to do some digging to find them. When they finally add that long awaited 25th hour to my day, maybe I'll be able to do just that!!!
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

PV wrote:Nice choice, Connor! :-D The Moody Blues are one of my favorite bands with "Nights In White Satin" being my favoritest of favorite songs. :cool:

My been way too long since I played these guys cuz I have most of their material on vinyl collection is comprised of --

- 1967 Days Of Future Past (featuring "Tuesday Afternoon" & "Nights In White Satin")
- 1968 In Search Of The Lost Chord (featuring "Ride My See-Saw")
- 1969 On The Threshold Of A Dream (featuring "The Voyage")
- 1970 A Question Of Balance (featuring "And The Tide Rushes In")
- 1972 Seventh Sojourn (featuring "Isn't Life Strange")
- 1981 Long Distance Voyager (featuring "Gemini Dream")
- 1983 The Present (featuring "Sorry" & "It's Cold Outside Of Your Heart")
- 1986 The Other Side Of Life (featuring "Your Wildest Dreams")

I kind of got lost on them at this point because they went really "poppy". I prefer the older (pre-1980s) Moody Blues.

Justin Hayward also put out a solo album in 1980 called Night Flight that I absolutely loved (but again haven't listened to in forever since I only have it on vinyl).

*PV decides she needs to either hook up her turntable or go buy that piece of stereo equipment she saw that will play your albums and record them onto cd* :cool:

And I know I have more somewhere but with all the moving I've done with my collection, things are spread out and mis-placed so I'd have to do some digging to find them. When they finally add that long awaited 25th hour to my day, maybe I'll be able to do just that!!!
Don't forget Octave from 1978.

My first experience with them was my dad's old vinyl and the stereo left in our playroom when my parents bought their first house. I spent a lot of time listening to the first 5 albums along with This is the Moody Blues from roughly 1994-1995. I bought the box set that was put out around that time and listened through THAT copy, sold it, and bought another copy years later.

Any album from The Other Side of Life and back is pretty good- stick with those.

(I did see them in 1994 at Great Woods)
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I must admit to liking the earlier material: Tuesday Afternoon, Watching and Waiting, Lovely To See you, Never Comes The Day, Question and my personal fav 'The Story in Your Eyes', good stuff.

I would hold back on the Grandson plaudits as Connor picked out the 'Pokemon-The Movie' soundtrack earlier today :-)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

He's just learning, Ogg. And good thing he has someone encouraging him to listen to good music too!
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

In Search Of The Lost Chord is absolutely my favorite album of theirs. Love it.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
schuette

Post by schuette »

oh I love that album as well!!