metallica

Post by Sir Myghin »

6 reasons why metallica sucks

1) it takes them two guitarists to do that little
2) Everything sounds the same
3) the guitarists solos are pathetic
4) their bass is way to plain
5) they try to hard
6) they aren't even metal music how can they call themselves metallica?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

BUT...in their defense, they spell better (on their lps at least) than either you or H!
Onward and Upward!
Kevin

Re: metallica

Post by Kevin »

Sir Myghin wrote:6 reasons why metallica sucks

1) it takes them two guitarists to do that little
2) Everything sounds the same
3) the guitarists solos are pathetic
4) their bass is way to plain
5) they try to hard
6) they aren't even metal music how can they call themselves metallica?
Well i can make counterpoints for each of your points.

1) They have two guitarists because alot of the time two are playing at once, and it adds a new layer to the music. Also, each player (Het and Kirk) are talented players, so it isnt like its hurting the music any.

2) Well if you're comparing them to a band like Rush, who constantly changes their sound somewhat, then yeah, their songs do probably all sound the same. But, there are alot of bands who dont change their sound alot and are still very good. Perhaps you're just a huge prog rock fan, and cant stand a band that doesnt change. :P Oh, and they actually dont sound the same on each album, there are some differences. Especially between their earlier thrash stuff and the black album.

3) Pathetic? Kirk's solos are among some of the most technical and moving pieces out there. Perhaps that's just my opinion, but i've never heard anyone who would call his solos pathetic. Kirk is to guitar solos as Neil is to drum solos.

4) I'd actually have to agree with you there, but i've heard alot worse.

5) Not until recently. See, they've felt pressure from alot of their fans ever since they "sold out" (as alot of their fans claim) and made the black album, and the albums after that, such as Load and Reload. The pressure has been from fans (or should i say former fans) who want harder, more thrash oriented stuff. They say they havent been influenced by them, and that they make albums the way they want to, but you can tell with their latest album (St. Anger) that they tried WAY too hard to get their old sound back.

6) How can you say they arent metal? They practically were the poster boys for metal throughout the 80's and early 90's.

Yeah, i guess i ranted alot there, but im a huge Met fan, and i try to stick up for the guys. :P
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

Kevin wrote:1) They have two guitarists because alot of the time two are playing at once, and it adds a new layer to the music. Also, each player (Het and Kirk) are talented players, so it isnt like its hurting the music any.
It's more in the area of rythm (James) and lead (Kirk).
Kevin wrote:2) Well if you're comparing them to a band like Rush, who constantly changes their sound somewhat, then yeah, their songs do probably all sound the same. But, there are alot of bands who dont change their sound alot and are still very good. Perhaps you're just a huge prog rock fan, and cant stand a band that doesnt change. :P Oh, and they actually dont sound the same on each album, there are some differences. Especially between their earlier thrash stuff and the black album.
Yeah, they did change their sound on the Black album (for the worse in my opinion), but I haven't really listened to anything they did since then. I like their pre-Black days.
Kevin wrote:3) Pathetic? Kirk's solos are among some of the most technical and moving pieces out there. Perhaps that's just my opinion, but i've never heard anyone who would call his solos pathetic. Kirk is to guitar solos as Neil is to drum solos.
I've heard a few "critics" say this. I don't mind the stuff I like, but I'm not a paid critic....then again, critics usually slam Rush too. However, I wouldn't put him in Neil's league though.
Kevin wrote:4) I'd actually have to agree with you there, but i've heard alot worse.
Kind of hard to be high on anyone else's bass when you're a Rush fan.
Kevin wrote:5) Not until recently. See, they've felt pressure from alot of their fans ever since they "sold out" (as alot of their fans claim) and made the black album, and the albums after that, such as Load and Reload. The pressure has been from fans (or should i say former fans) who want harder, more thrash oriented stuff. They say they havent been influenced by them, and that they make albums the way they want to, but you can tell with their latest album (St. Anger) that they tried WAY too hard to get their old sound back.
I heard they tried to 'copy' Rush on their new albums with no guitar solo's, but didn't quite pull it off. A for effort?
Kevin wrote:6) How can you say they arent metal? They practically were the poster boys for metal throughout the 80's and early 90's.
Were being the key word there though. To me, they stopped being metal when they did the Black album....now they're just hard rock.
Kevin wrote:Yeah, i guess i ranted alot there, but im a huge Met fan, and i try to stick up for the guys. :P
I love their older stuff, but with their new music and attitudes, I just don't have any more room for their material.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

FerrariF1 wrote:I'm not gonna go through this point by point
Wuss. :twisted:
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

by-tor wrote:

Kind of hard to be high on anyone else's bass when you're a Rush fan.
I was thinking the same thing. For me, it even makes listening to some music difficult at first, without the bass being a huge part of the music as a whole.

I personally love every album Metallica has ever made, some more than others. I prefer the pre-black album stuff as well, but i think the changes they made suited them well, even if it was based completly on a marketing decision. Load and Reload were great rock albums by anyone's standards, but they get trashed horribly by many people because they're seen as "not the real Metallica." Too many people got caught up with the past and never let the change be accepted, and all the while Met were putting out great albums. Up until St. Anger of course, which seems to me like a try-hard attempt at their earlier, more complex song structures. (And Justice For All seems to of been their target sound to return to.) Without solos of any type, you get a garage-band jam feeling, which goes with the unique (and annoying) drum sound they used. They accomplished their goal with the album i guess, but it just doesnt appeal to me. I can understand why people would lose interest because of St. Anger, but trashing great albums like the black album and Load just seems crazy to me.

Shit, another rant. My apologies to anyone i've bored. :lol:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I think we can handle rants here.
Onward and Upward!
Aerosmitten

Post by Aerosmitten »

by-tor wrote:
FerrariF1 wrote:I'm not gonna go through this point by point
Wuss. :twisted:
Ohhhh! Are you gonna shoot him throught the puter like you wanted to do to me Mum?
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

Aerosmitten wrote:Ohhhh! Are you gonna shoot him throught the puter like you wanted to do to me Mum?
See, I told you that Aerosmith will rot your brain....I said you can't shoot at people through a computer. :roll: :twisted:
Aerosmitten

Post by Aerosmitten »

by-tor wrote:
Aerosmitten wrote:Ohhhh! Are you gonna shoot him throught the puter like you wanted to do to me Mum?
See, I told you that Aerosmith will rot your brain....I said you can't shoot at people through a computer. :roll: :twisted:
Pfffffffft! Well why not? I can! WATCH THIS!!

*BANG!*

Oops....Sorry Craig! :oops:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

H!

How many times have I told you NOT to shoot your brother through the computer!

If anyone sees you can do that, they might send the government out to find out how it is done and then where would we be? :roll: White men all over the place, poking their noses into our stuff. They might see the...well, never mind that, just quit it!

IF you are going to shoot anyone, shoot By-Tor! :evil:

And help Craig clean up the mess. Can't stand the blood all over the inside of the computer. JINGS these kids! :roll:
Onward and Upward!
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

awip2062 wrote:IF you are going to shoot anyone, shoot By-Tor! :evil:
And who's going to write code when I'm dead? You?!? :roll: :lol: :twisted:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Can't you do that from the grave?
Onward and Upward!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

i'll start with 4 and work my way arround for the moment

4) yes it is hard to be on others bass once on rushes, but there are still some other bands that bass i like, but do not play becuase its a bit umm easy.

3) Kirk's solos are stuff my band could pull of in their sleep, ( we have been well trained) he is nowhere near neils league, the solo's sound dead, i will compair him ina league of solo to newer bands.

6), 80's didn't ahve metal in my opinion, all great bands started in the 70's , 80's hit everything went downhill, with exception of the band already in existance.

I'm done for now, give you guys more to rant over