Any other Wilco fans?

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Any other Wilco fans?

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

Anybody else out there dig these guys too? Their new album Sky Blue Sky is just saweeeet!

"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Sorry Mr. Scrubbrush, I've not heard of them.
Onward and Upward!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

nor have I what types the music?
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

It's very difficult to classify Wilco. Several of the members were with a band called Uncle Tupelo which really kind of solidified the concept of alt country, mainly by fusing country with garage rock, punk, and folk influences. Wilco swings more towards the rock and folk spectrum. Like Rush, they've kind of given the finger to the industrial music machine and have developed a solid following with only limited radio play--college radio and the like. They now have seven albums (six studio, one live) out. The singer and lyricist, Jeff Tweedy, writes really personal and emotionally open songs that sometimes work like poems...in a similar way to Peter Gabriel lyrics.

On previous albums they've done some interesting Beatles-like experiments with sound as music (think Sargent Peper), which I like very much, but their new album is a lot more straight forward. There's a good deal of "singer-songwriter" sound in this album as well as musical allusions to Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and even Bob Dylan. The songs have, by and large, a nice mellow, groove feel.

Here's a link to studio performances of songs from their new album:
http://spinner.aol.com/videos/sessions- ... nces/wilco

The band website is:
http://www.wilcoworld.net/

Let me know what you think.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I see Wilco is going to be in Redmond soon. I shan't be able to go though.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

KaelMwithascrubbrush wrote:It's very difficult to classify Wilco. Several of the members were with a band called Uncle Tupelo which really kind of solidified the concept of alt country, mainly by fusing country with garage rock, punk, and folk influences. Wilco swings more towards the rock and folk spectrum. Like Rush, they've kind of given the finger to the industrial music machine and have developed a solid following with only limited radio play--college radio and the like. They now have seven albums (six studio, one live) out. The singer and lyricist, Jeff Tweedy, writes really personal and emotionally open songs that sometimes work like poems...in a similar way to Peter Gabriel lyrics.

On previous albums they've done some interesting Beatles-like experiments with sound as music (think Sargent Peper), which I like very much, but their new album is a lot more straight forward. There's a good deal of "singer-songwriter" sound in this album as well as musical allusions to Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and even Bob Dylan. The songs have, by and large, a nice mellow, groove feel.

Here's a link to studio performances of songs from their new album:
http://spinner.aol.com/videos/sessions- ... nces/wilco

The band website is:
http://www.wilcoworld.net/

Let me know what you think.
I agree. They're hard to categorize.

They shoulda toured with Rush as well.

I'd pay to see it.
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I paid to see Rush. :-D

Seriously, though, if these guys are as good as KaelMWhoLovesRush says, who wouldn't pay to see them?
Onward and Upward!
KaelMwithascrubbrush

[quote="CygnusX1]They shoulda toured with Rush as well.

I'd pay to see it.[/quote]

Rush and Wilco...now that would be a show!!! A night of cerebral lyrics, genre bending music, and unusual drumming. That would be :cool:
-Steven Wright
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

I watched their (Wilco's) documentary on my cable on-demand service.

Good stuff, but Tweedy's pretty volatile. Reminds me of Oasis. :roll:
Don't start none...won't be none.