Loss of a great voice.

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Wendy

Loss of a great voice.

Post by Wendy »

I am sad to see that the world has lost one of it's
most wonderful voices. Luciano Pavarotti died today
of pancreatic cancer. He was 71 years old.

5 hours ago
Prolific Tenor Pavarotti Dies

Opera was not the 20th century's surest route to superstardom. But it was if you sang like Luciano Pavarotti.

Pavarotti, the literally and figuratively larger-than-life tenor whose recordings sold more than 100 million albums, and whose voice boomed everywhere from the Metropolitan Opera to Johnny Carson's Tonight Show, died at 5 a.m. Thursday morning, local time, at his home in Modena, Italy, after a yearlong battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 71.

Dubbed the King of High C's, for the showiest chandelier-shaking note in his repertoire, Pavarotti was hospitalized last month. Earlier Wednesday, it was reported that his condition had taken a turn for the worse.

The singer underwent cancer surgery last year. It was the latest in a series of health setbacks that plagued the enduring performer in recent years.

* Pavarotti Battling Cancer

E! Online

"The Maestro fought a long, tough battle against the pancreatic cancer which eventually took his life. In fitting with the approach that characterised his life and work, he remained positive until finally succumbing to the last stages of his illness," Pavarotti's manager, Terri Robson, said in a statement to the Associated Press.

Even during his most recent hospitalization, Pavarotti's wife insisted he would sing again. It was a message Pavarotti himself likely approved.

"I think the important thing is to sing very well until you sing, and have the fresh voice like my father did," Pavarotti told the BBC in 2005. "My father was a great tenor. Beautiful voice. And he was fresh until two weeks before he died at the age of 90."

Pavarotti's father, Fernando, was a member of the local choir in Modena, Italy, where the future opera star was born on Oct. 12, 1935. Pavarotti would follow in his father's footsteps?and then forge a whole new path.

The turning point for Pavarotti came when he was 25?and had a day job.

"Let's say, [in] the beginning, I am an elementary school teacher," Pavarotti told the BBC. "And on 21 April, 1961, I became a tenor."

That's when Pavarotti, fresh from winning a key competition, made his professional debut on the Italian stage in a production of La Boh?me.

From there, Pavarotti embarked on a career that made him the world's most famous opera singer, able to command the attention of 500,000 in New York's Central Park, as he did in 1993, or recruit stars such as James Brown, Sting and Bono for his annual Pavarotti & Friends benefit concert.

"He knows the public loves him for himself, not only for his voice. If he lost his voice tomorrow, they would still love him," the late Terry McEwen, a record executive and opera director, said of Pavarotti to Time in 1979. "He could go on performing, he could be a different kind of star."

A different kind of star is exactly what Pavarotti was. He was overweight, lived in a tux and sang in tongues foreign to most casual Saturday Night Live viewers, and still his fame transcended the opera house, making him right at home before, yes, most casual SNL viewers. (He dueted with Vanessa Williams in a 1998 episode of the sketch-comedy show.)

Pavarotti won five Grammys; earned a night at the Kennedy Center Honors alongside the likes of Jack Nicholson, Julie Andrews and Quincy Jones; starred in his own Hollywood movie, the 1982 romantic-comedy Yes, Giorgio, a flop; and fronted who knows how many local PBS pledge drives, thanks to his popular concert videos with Pl?cido Domingo and Jos? Carreras, known jointly as the Three Tenors.
Sound verbalized tones touch textured feel scent wafted aroma see visualize observe sing dance live
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

One of my grandmothers died of Pancreatic cancer.............it's not pretty.
This space for rent
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

One of my students told me about this. What tremendous loss in the musical world. His performance of "Nesun dorma" on the first Three Tenors CD is priceless, as was a PBS performance of Aida. My understanding is that he was also a tremendously good-hearted and generous person, as well.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

This is a sad day. Pavarotti was a great man.
Onward and Upward!
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

In honor, I played "Nessun Dorma" in my classes today. My wife is quite sad about his death.

I wonder how the health of Placido Domingo and Jose Careras are holding up. That concept of the three tenors touring together was a stroke of genius.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

A sad day for opera and his family as well. Luciano Pavarotti was well liked around the world and did many good deeds for mankind and his singing will never be forgotten.

Yes` I do listen to classical and opera~ I like most music some being better to my heart and ears. Some music I know well, some I do not. I have many times listen and watched Pavarotti on PBS but still not all that familar with it. Neverhteless I have too only heard good things about the man, he had a good life.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I have only heard the good, too, Tater.

KaelMWhoIsAnAssestToHisSchool, do you think that the two remaining of the Three Tenors would tour just the two of them if their health is good?
Onward and Upward!