By-torian's original music and recordings

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

How does that work, you record tracks to the HD, then level them /eq them through the mixer and feed them back into the HD as a single bounce?
Yes, the mixer both sends the signal to whichever track(s) you arm and then you "flip" the board into mix mode and it plays back/mixes with the same channels that recorded the tracks. It's quite exquisite. Just don't forget to flip the switches back from monitor mode or you will be deaf for an hour from the concussion-feedback and you may have to buy new speakers. :D
The other downside is it lacks drums wheras most DAWs and studio in a box have something. However, it looks like the simplest mix down portion, all the dials and such.
Yeah, you have to get the drums going some other way. I have a drum machine for demos and creating songs. Also there is the great, free program Modplug Tracker. Not only drums, but any instrument can be created, sequenced, charted, whatever with this thing. Get it at www.modplug.com. The best friend a PC recording musician can install.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

so do you lay drums first, or just really good at staying in time, I find keeping in time with a metronome quite the battle but live am fine. it is odd.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I'm pretty good with keeping time, but I pretty much always create and record a drum track first. Even if it is a click track, just to get it nailed to the beat, then either attempt to drum it out on my acoustic kit or finger-kick it with the drum machine pads.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Play drums a bit too eh? nice. I have never had a chance to learn but have never done well in short stints either.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Let's just say that I have a kit. I'm not so big-big with the boom-boom. I record most everything onto the HD24 including dummy drums, and then have a real drummer mic'ed into 6 or more tracks play for real, and then erase the crap drum tracks later. There are so many great things you can use these days for drums though. I am, pardon the pun, a little out of the "loop" when it comes to them, though. :-)

Great chat, Mygh. Gotta hit the road for home now. See ya tomorrow!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

For now on, the term....."Dummy Drums" shall never be spoken. :razz: :lol:
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Walkinghairball wrote:For now on, the term....."Dummy Drums" shall never be spoken. :razz: :lol:
Indeed I think we can all agree the silent dummy occurs before all drums :P
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Sir Myghin wrote:
Walkinghairball wrote:For now on, the term....."Dummy Drums" shall never be spoken. :razz: :lol:

No, when the drums stop it's a bass solo.............ugh.
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Walkinghairball wrote:
Sir Myghin wrote:

The only reason bass soloes are so dreaded is Gene simmons tries to do one :P
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Walkinghairball wrote:
Sir Myghin wrote:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Geddy bass solo......
Walkinghairball

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Geddy has yet to produce a real Bass Solo kiddo. A few bars is not a bass solo.

The only reason bass soloes are so dreaded is Gene simmons tries to do one
Gene only makes noise to enhance his blood spitting schtick. Still not a bass solo..............Again......bass solo fail. :lol:
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Walkinghairball wrote:Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Geddy has yet to produce a real Bass Solo kiddo. A few bars is not a bass solo.

Gene only makes noise to enhance his blood spitting schtick. Still not a bass solo..............Again......bass solo fail. :lol:
He did about a minute of one in driven one tour.

As for needing one, he doesn't he can weave all the flash into any song, he doesn't need to save it for a solo, but we all know that.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Walkinghairball wrote:Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Geddy has yet to produce a real Bass Solo kiddo. A few bars is not a bass solo.
I'm dreaming, don't wake me!
Walkinghairball

Sir Myghin wrote:

He did about a minute of one in driven one tour.

As for needing one, he doesn't he can weave all the flash into any song, he doesn't need to save it for a solo, but we all know that.
Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh a whole minute. WOW.

Yeah, he plays his ass off no doubt. Same for Neil, but we all know Neil has to give more, cuz he can. :razz:
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Neil does it because he wants to, he secrets loves the extra attention it gives but will never admit it, he wouldn't do it otherwise.