By-torian's original music and recordings

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Before getting all poppy with Mr. Big, I actually got chummy with Billy Sheehan. His band was Talas and they played every little club on the east coast. As metal-loving kids we all freaked at his ability to play bass better than most lead guitarists. Here he is doing a solo. Blows everybody else away with this kind of playing, don't you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5omFFeLEXFE
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Seen him before but damn, every time. He uses all 4 fingers to pluck the strings, not a common technique.

another excellent bass solo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwaMeThlvzE
This is about the same as the one I saw last fall, its amazing.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Sir Myghin wrote:Neil does it because he wants to, he secrets loves the extra attention it gives but will never admit it, he wouldn't do it otherwise.

Sure he would. he has been in love with the drum solo since he started playing drums.
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Listen to/watch the Ox - Entwhistle from The Who.

He played "lead" bass. Rest his soul. His bass legacy lives forever.

Whether you agree or you don't, he set the bar long ago.

IMO, other great rock bass players today are merely his "students."

('cept that dude in Metallica now...He's a friggin' Madman.
Aliens taught him.)
Don't start none...won't be none.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

CygnusX1 wrote:Listen to/watch the Ox - Entwhistle from The Who.

He played "lead" bass. Rest his soul. His bass legacy lives forever.

Whether you agree or you don't, he set the bar long ago.

IMO, other great rock bass players today are merely his "students."

('cept that dude in Metallica now...He's a friggin' Madman.
Aliens taught him.)
Ox was excellent but they always mixed him so low, so you had to catch it live to enjoy. 515... the solo he plays is stellar, different style than each of the above though entirely.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Sorry you can't see the video I posted, Cyg. You would know that Sheehan is the master of lead-bass. In that solo he undeniably blows away everybody but the likes of John Myung and 1 or 2 others. I do like Entwistle. He started it. :-) Hey, did you ever get to see Talas back in the day?
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Sorry you can't see the video I posted, Cyg. You would know that Sheehan is the master of lead-bass. In that solo he undeniably blows away everybody but the likes of John Myung and 1 or 2 others. I do like Entwistle. He started it. :-) Hey, did you ever get to see Talas back in the day?
Saw them open for UFO, Bro!

Can't remember what year that was though.

Can't remember much of anything from that night.

I want to say '81...It wan't long after I was married.

I have mad respect for Billy Sheehan though. He's the EVH of bass.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Sorry you can't see the video I posted, Cyg. You would know that Sheehan is the master of lead-bass. In that solo he undeniably blows away everybody but the likes of John Myung and 1 or 2 others. I do like Entwistle. He started it. :-) Hey, did you ever get to see Talas back in the day?
I dunno Stanley Clark used to smoke the bass pretty heavy too. I prefer the thumb style players like Marcus Miller and such to Sheehan however
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Sir Myghin wrote:
I dunno Stanley Clark used to smoke the bass pretty heavy too. I prefer the thumb style players like Marcus Miller and such to Sheehan however
Wurd. I was gonna mention Stanley. He cannot be denied either.

Scott Thune of Zappa was notable as well.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Sir Myghin wrote: I have had too much trouble with the software, or required verification.
How is Ableton for ease of use and such.
Ableton is simply perfect and the verification isn't too much trouble, I can help you there. We use version 7.01 and have done for a good while. I recently downloaded the newer improved Ableton 8 but there is no working crack as yet.
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Sir Myghin wrote:Seen him before but damn, every time. He uses all 4 fingers to pluck the strings, not a common technique.

He plays Linus and Lucy on the bass- see if you can find a vidoe of that- that is amazing.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

^^^

Stu Hamm plays L&L..................... I'm sure others can also, but Hamm was first I do believe.
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

YYZ30 wrote:
Sir Myghin wrote:Seen him before but damn, every time. He uses all 4 fingers to pluck the strings, not a common technique.

He plays Linus and Lucy on the bass- see if you can find a vidoe of that- that is amazing.
Linus and Lucy IS HARD, individual parts are nothing, putting the 2 together is bullshit. I was reading a lesson on his website for it, he said it is easier than more tapping as your hands do the exact same thing, meaning they playing syncronized notes and whatnot. I could never get it to work right as I am used to alternating to create the melody. The low walking riff part was good stretch exercize either way though.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

You know what really ticks me off, the fact out of curiousity I plugged in my GNX3000 today, and then installed the software I have, and it actually worked, no drivers installed, but it feeds in just fine... I fiddled with it for days in the past, and out of nowhere it works, good news until I can find something better.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

well I have software up and running now and my GNX is going, but its recording with a tonne of static. All this mucking around with computers is pisses me off, not to mention extremely hard on my thumb (de quervains tenosynovitis if you recall, i've had it for 6 months now, have to buckle down, its effectively lifelong at this point... At least treatment got it to a point where I can play guitar for more than 5 minutes comfortably I guess. Take what you can get.)

Reminds me why I am going to go the studio in a box approach, or if the riught deals are afoot, BBO's method, not mucking around with this computer based workstation when I fork the money out haha.

If I keep at it, I may have something loosely based on the last song my band put together, too good to waste I thought, at least for the bass playing, no fingerboard gymnastics but it fit well. I will have to finish up on the studio box, then throw it into sonar and try to make a drum roll as the boxes drums aren't programmable (damned old machine) and therefore cannot do what I want for the song, however I might be able to use the drums for the parts asside from the one. The guitar is down and cut out most the errors (first time I've ever had the patience to sit and do it riff by riff, one of the riff transitions feels a little off but don't know how to fix that atm). either way it feels good to pick up my guitar and do something aside from practice for ones.