By-torian's original music and recordings

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

I settled on an Edirol FA-66 and have some software up and running. just need to wait on the mail, hopefully this will help me to start working without too much hassle. Actually had something done but couldn't get it to master loud enough or add drums with what I had at the time. It was too incomplete.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Here is what I worked on this weekend

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=7715413

The drums are bland but what do you expect from editted grooves, maps I made myself, and no drumming experience.

Otherwise I am very happy with how this turned out. It is my remix take on the last song the band put together, same riffs, different order/emphasis/ added leads to it.

It is the only song there right now, The End.

Edit: A more direct link
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I'll check it tonight after I get my after work errands ran.
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Listening now. Definitely the best solo attempt I've heard from you yet, Kyle! Good job!
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7731390

I relevelled the lead guitar to take the extreme levels out in some places now that I have time. A bit less abrasive now, any and all feedback is appreciated, and thanks Elf.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

sometime this weekend.
This space for rent
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I was thinking how to get my stuff out there in the most accessible way so I thought of 'youtube'. I attempted a 'windows movie maker' clip of still pictures with a very cool instrumental by the covers band I'm playing with, the guitarist shines imho. Already received praise from both Hairy and Elfie and that's good enough for me :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGLpqTv_Z_s Thank you for your time :-)
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I threw a new one together tonight. Really not sure how to categorize it, other than it feels retro and groovy to me (hence the name). There are moments that remind me of surf music, but definitely not the whole thing.

Anyway, I had fun doing it. I hope you guys enjoy it.

http://matt.purescience.com/songs_/Groo ... Newman.mp3

I think I did a pretty decent job of keeping the fretless bass in tune, if I do say so myself. :) Listening now I don't even really hear that it IS a fretless.

Also new to me for this song... instead of recording all the guitar parts by feeding the guitar through some sort of processor and then directly into the console I ran it straight into an amp and mic'd the amp to record it. No pedals. Never done that before. It was fun. 8)
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Listening to it now matt. I like the bassline, definitely groovey, like the vibe it brings to the tune, it has a nice walk to it. you are right about it not sounding fretless, even sounded like you had a bit of fret vibrations in it moving around. As a whole , good as always, the guitar is neat sounding, that through your vintage or your SX? My guess is the vintage. I like your rhythmic approach to melodic guitar, my guitar brain doesn't work like that.

I am almost done the rhythm and drums for a tune, all bass chord rhythm pretty much. In 9/8( recorded in 3/4 but definitely feels more like 9/8 putting everything together).

Anyone interested in the raw track without the guitar leads to jam over, I'd like to see other peoples takes on it. I will be making my take also.

The almost done has been a stage for a few weeks however, as broken headphones have plagued me so listening to my interface is difficult. Maybe if I get crafty I can somehow route it back through my computer speakers and finish up the dreams / process and equalize the bass, and level it (although I could provide 2 individual tracks so you could level and EQ it to your own standards too, that way if you needed to adjust the bass the drums would need not go with it.)
Walkinghairball

ElfDude wrote:I threw a new one together tonight. Really not sure how to categorize it, other than it feels retro and groovy to me (hence the name). There are moments that remind me of surf music, but definitely not the whole thing.

Anyway, I had fun doing it. I hope you guys enjoy it.

http://matt.purescience.com/songs_/Groo ... Newman.mp3

I think I did a pretty decent job of keeping the fretless bass in tune, if I do say so myself. :) Listening now I don't even really hear that it IS a fretless.

Also new to me for this song... instead of recording all the guitar parts by feeding the guitar through some sort of processor and then directly into the console I ran it straight into an amp and mic'd the amp to record it. No pedals. Never done that before. It was fun. 8)
Enjoy it I did.

The fretless sounds warm and fuzzy, in a good way. In my audio engineering classes in college they encouraged us to mic simple without effects. "Add the sugar in the mix," we were told. When possible that is.
This space for rent
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Here is the last 2 months of brutal hell for me, finally done:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=8163048

The drum map alone was a few days of work, which in turn required relaying the bass. Finally got the lead guitar done after much failure. Enjoy, I think the lead playing and mixing is definitely coming along.

If you want to give the track a shot of your own, I am sure you can do better than I can. I can hook you up with a guitarless track.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Sir Myghin wrote: I think the lead playing and mixing is definitely coming along.
I heartily agree! This is by far the best sounding mix we've heard from you. And your lead playing is indeed smoothing out. You got some great tones in there. 8)
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Forgot to mention, before anyone tells me the drums are off the beat a lot, I did that intentionally. I realize this might be weird.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Bored this afternoon, had some fun

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=8616438

WARNING : funk