KISS - Carrying On Into The Future With All-New Members

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

At first I wondered why anyone should be bothered by this (not being a KISS fan it was just kind of a *shrug* to me). So I'm trying to personalize it a little more.

How would I feel if Rush got a new drummer? And then a new bass player two years later? And then later a new guitarist a year after that? And these three imposter wannabes kept on touring and recording as Rush?

Well... I can't predict how I'd feel. By their fruits ye shall know them. If these guys somehow kept the spirit alive and they actually felt like Rush when they played, I'd probably enjoy them and be fine (though always pining for the "good old days" of Rush like I already do ;) ). But it would likely come down to the music for me.

I remember when the Drama album was released as a YES album and Trevor Horn was singing on it instead of Jon Anderson, it just felt all wrong. The spirit (or soul) of the band just wasn't there. It was a good album, but it didn't feel like YES at all and I thought it should have been called something other than YES. But there might be a singer out there that could keep the spirit of Jon Anderson. Who knows?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Kind of like when Kansas had that one guy that sang on the album with "Fight Fire with Fire" and "Play the Game Tonight". Still Kansas, but not quite.

But that can be said with a lot of bands out there also.

Aerosmith and Van Halen come to mind also. But Van Halen was prolly more sucessful at the change.
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

The other one I think of is Genesis. Though with them, it wasn't new members... it was members leaving and not being replaced (except for touring). When Peter Gabriel left after the 1975 tour they changed, but only a little. The two albums they released in 1976 were tremendous and still felt like Genesis.

When Steve Hackett left they felt just a a little less like Genesis, but still made two good albums. But the Duke album in 1980 was the begininning of the end, probably because it had a big hit single in the US. After that and the success of Phil Collins first solo album, the stuff they put out didn't feel much like Genesis anymore. :(
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

I agree Elfie, it was almost like Genesis v 1.0,2.0, and then 3.0.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

I liked Genesis better with Phil singing.

*Ducks and runs out of the thread*
This space for rent
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Walkinghairball wrote:I liked Genesis better with Phil singing.

*Ducks and runs out of the thread*
*grabs your collar as you run by*

There's nothing wrong with that.

*lets you go*
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I agree with Leon. I liked Phil better too..
Happy 2015!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Really?, 'Cause:

and

and

Then there's:

(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:
Really?, 'Cause:

and

and

Then there's:

I watched a special on Genesis Memorial Day weekend 07...and it was almost like they saw footage of Arthur Brown, and decided to go bigger with it.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

BBO rules!!!
Walkinghairball

Yeah, them some goofy looking outfits for sure.

Eetz no fun, beeing an Illeegal Aliean.....ok. :-D
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

YYZ30 wrote: I watched a special on Genesis Memorial Day weekend 07...and it was almost like they saw footage of Arthur Brown, and decided to go bigger with it.
The difference being, of course, that Genesis played awesome music while Brown just had his stupid horns toot the same little phrase over and over...
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

ElfDude wrote:
YYZ30 wrote: I watched a special on Genesis Memorial Day weekend 07...and it was almost like they saw footage of Arthur Brown, and decided to go bigger with it.
The difference being, of course, that Genesis played awesome music while Brown just had his stupid horns toot the same little phrase over and over...
"Fire" isn't a bad little ditty.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

YYZ30 wrote:
ElfDude wrote:
"Fire" isn't a bad little ditty.
Yes it is. :-D