Dream Theater!!!

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

EvilCheeseWedge

Post by EvilCheeseWedge »

I bought Images and Words 8 months ago... and I still can't get into it. They are good musicians, but I don't really like the music. :(
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

don't worry, i still can't see the rush similarities, it just doesn't seem to fit, clashes i think, too much for too little at the same time i thinks
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I see on YesWorld.com that DT is going to be the opening act at a few Yes shows this fall. I guess if Yes has to have a warm up band (I prefer it when they don't) then DT is a good choice.

A friend of mine once had the job of driving DT's drummer to the airport after a concert. He was asking him about his favorite drummers. Bill Bruford was one of them, but he didn't mention Neil. My friend finally asked if he liked Neil Peart. The guy responded soemthing like, "Oh. I really used to be into him but I think I've outgrown him."

Yeah... :roll:
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

ElfDude wrote:, "Oh. I really used to be into him but I think I've outgrown him."

how des one outgrow the second greatest drummer of all time ( first being buddy of course...)
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

More like he listened to him to death, Neil clearly influenced his drumkit :roll:

:P
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Neil could play rings around Buddy. :)
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Well, while you may not be better than someone you still might have learned as much as you could from him ;) You can only develop your own style through branching out!
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

ElfDude wrote:Neil could play rings around Buddy. :)
i've only heard a small section of his work, not much at all, and i'd liek to beleive you , but get neil to say that and i will
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I confess to not having heard a ton of Buddy Rich. I'm basing my opinion on a TV appearance of him where he played a song and a solo. After having heard Neil's All The World's a Stage solo... it seemed like Buddy never even got started. I kept waiting for something cool to happen and it just never did.

Neil is much too polite and modest to call himself a better drummer than someone like Buddy Rich.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

you may very well be correct elf
RUSHrox

Post by RUSHrox »

ElfDude wrote:I see on YesWorld.com that DT is going to be the opening act at a few Yes shows this fall. I guess if Yes has to have a warm up band (I prefer it when they don't) then DT is a good choice.

A friend of mine once had the job of driving DT's drummer to the airport after a concert. He was asking him about his favorite drummers. Bill Bruford was one of them, but he didn't mention Neil. My friend finally asked if he liked Neil Peart. The guy responded soemthing like, "Oh. I really used to be into him but I think I've outgrown him."

Mike Portnoy is DT's drummers name. he said that "outgrown him" quote because: Mike REEEEELY likes rush's material but after the signals album he thinks that they lost their touch. the only post signals album he'll listen to is Counterparts.
i dont no how long ill be back for.
maybee for never?
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

I haven't really listened much to DT, but I did hear a collection of their tracks (my brother is a fan) and I have to confess I was not overly impressed.

They are clearly very good musicians, but I feel they are lacking a certain "feel" in their music, and it does come across as rather souless.
I wasn't to keen on the vocals either.

Needless to say, i have not heard enough by them to write them off as a band, but my initial impression was not a good one
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

ElfDude wrote:Neil is much too polite and modest to call himself a better drummer than someone like Buddy Rich.
...which is a good thing, because their approaches are drastically different. Neil has a very solid, very structured approach to drumming, very much like a classical musician. Buddy was far looser, though he could be astoundingly precise when he needed to be. Buddy really embodied jazz musicianship--extremely high mastery of his instrument with a solid penchant for playing in the moment, making every song and every performance a new creation, rather than a re-creation (I love the way Wynton Marsalis talks about this distinction). One of the most interesting tributes I ever read to Buddy was Neil's liner notes on Burning for Buddy (a pair of tribute albums he produced), in which he writes, "We all know that no one can fill Buddy's shoes--but we can sure have fun trying!" Another great tribute to Buddy came from Dennis Chambers, who said, "The things that Buddy forgot about drumming, we'll never know." Neil also quotes Jim Chapin, one of the greatest drum set teachers ever, "Who will fill his shoes? No one can, but if we just heed his example and fill our own shoes, maybe we will work wonders." Most professional drummers I know would take Buddy over Neil...which is absolutely no insult to Neil. It would be like saying, "I'd rather have Sandy Koufax than Roger Clemens." As a drummer, I'm wowed by Neil, but floored by Buddy. I wish I'd been able to see him when he was alive.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Thanks for the info. :)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Who else but our KaelWhoKnowsAllDrumThings would tell us this?

Thanks!
Onward and Upward!