Dream Theater!!!

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

awip2062 wrote: KaelWhoKnowsAllDrumThings
Hardly...and nichts zu Danken.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

nichts? :cry:
Onward and Upward!
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

Nichts zu Danken is an idiomatic equivolent of "Don't mention it." Not a dis or anything... :wink:
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Yes, but you said nichts! You don't want me to mention you knowing all things! :cry: How will they know unless I tell them?
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Does this have anything to do with Mozart's Eine Kleine Nichtsmusik? :wink:
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

But if I can't tell, this would be Ein Keine Nichtsmusik! :cry:
Onward and Upward!
Amarok

Post by Amarok »

Keep talking German. That amuses me, really :razz:
Monkey Wrench

Post by Monkey Wrench »

Although DT ia very talented bunch of individuals,I can't seem to get into their music. I saw them live and had to leave.I think I lasted 3-4 songs.Actually I was there to see and listen to the genius of Joe Satriani.What's his name was doing the Neil Peart stick in the air routine.I was very impressed that he could do it left handed as well. You could tell Neil has and has had a great deal of influence on his playing. I don't know what it was that turned me off with them,maybe it was the singer or how the songs didn't really flow.Their playing sounded regimented or like they were trying to hard to be progressive.The music was all over the place.All sorts of time signatures going on.Hard to get into,at least for me.
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Their music just sounds sterile. I've only heard a few songs, so maybe I'm just uneducated. I'll see them in september, I can be more directly harsh after that experience ;)

There's definitely something wrong with the vocalist, I think he missed his chance at a Grunge band. In any case, there's a lot of overplaying, which is just never good.
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

I'll chime in here. After reading so much raving about this band, I decided to check them out. I got two cds and after numerous listens, managed to scrape about 5 songs off of them that I could listen to on a regular basis. Just not my speed and taste. But that's okay. I could list a bunch of bands I love that you would all freak out over.

BUT, I HAVE heard DT's cover of Different Strings. That song KICKS!
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
psupower

Post by psupower »

Dream Theater is AWESOME :twisted:

6 Degress OF Inner Turbelence is my favorite album, The Glass Prison being my favorite song from that album..

I can understand how it takes time to like em more, but once u do, u will be hooked.. :roll:
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

*BUMP*

Thanks to D.A., I am now a fan of Dream Theater. I saw their live dvd and they rock. On some songs, they sound rushy. I am just barely starting to collect albums. Mike Portnoy is a good drummer.
I love my Welshman.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

**BIGGER BUMP**

I just found this.............................
Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater...
Wednesday September 8th 2010

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...

Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,

Mike Portnoy
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

I am quite looking forward to their new album, I went about 1.5 years of not really listening to any music and when I came back I was able to get in to these guys. They are something to behold live, I saw them open for Iron Maiden this summer. Their sound was a bit off and they were pushed heavy to the front of the stage though.

I want to see where they go without Portnoy driving them (from what many say he was a tad of a control freak). That leaving letter he issued is further indication I would say.

(oh, and hello folks, been a while, busy trying to find new ways to procrastinate atm.)
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Mike Portnoys replacement is ......................... Mike Mangini !!! :-D

http://www.killyourstereo.com/news/9878 ... -the-fold/

He is a bad ass, and should fill the spot with no worries.

\m/ :cool: \m/
This space for rent