What other bands, besides Rush, are you really into?

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Sounds like you fit in well, as none of us are average.
Onward and Upward!
Chasartymac

Post by Chasartymac »

Actually Barney. I have a penchant for another band from your homeland. Annihilator. Just got their latest album, (All For You), but I'm none too impressed this time.
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I've got some fond memories of the first three Annihilator albums. Out of them, I think Never, Neverland was the best but I've not heard anything since.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Chasartymac

Post by Chasartymac »

Slaine mac Roth wrote:I've got some fond memories of the first three Annihilator albums. Out of them, I think Never, Neverland was the best but I've not heard anything since.
I love Neverland. Saw them twice at the Marquee Club that tour. On the Annihilator website Jeff Waters tates that those 2 gigs were the best atmosphere of any gigs he's played. I have to say, my memory of them was the best party atmosphere of any I've been to by ANY band.

They have a huge catalogue since then with various line ups. Two good recommendations of all the bunch though would be Set The World On Fire and Carnival Diablos.
happysmilies007

Post by happysmilies007 »

i most certainly did NOT call you old!! i think you are in the prime of your life! my dad's 39 & my mom's 44 & their oldest's 16! you're lucky to have dodged the wrinkles of old age caused by growing chitlins.

carolynn :evil:
"What do I do when we're not taping? Sit in a dark room and refine my plans for someday ruling Earth from a blimp. And chess." --Ryan Stiles .. brought to you by the letter 3!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww...but I love that line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

:smt022
Onward and Upward!
Mithrandir

Post by Mithrandir »

i am not really into many new bands....

some of my non-Rush faves:

Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
Queen
Dance hall Crashers
Mary's Danish
Metallica
Husker Du/Bob Mould

some folk/celtic music like the Makem Brothers, mary black, tommy makem, gaelic storm

i also love classical music...mozart, bach, schubert, chopin, beethoven..
Mechanix

Post by Mechanix »

Some bands I like other than Rush...

Megadeth
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Sepultura (pre-Roots)
Primus
Morbid Angel
Suicidal Tendencies
Led Zeppelin
Overkill
Anthrax
Alice in Chains
Pantera
Judas Priest
Death
Motorhead
Pink Floyd
Kreator
Pestilence
Bolt Thrower
AC/DC
Slayer
Testament
Vio-Lence
Yes
Napalm Death
Minor Threat
Nocturnus
Nuclear Assault
Possessed
Metallica (80s)
Obituary
Hendrix
Boston (1st album)
Destruction
Carcass
Cryptic Slaughter
Rigor Mortis
Drain STH
GWAR
Annihilator
Forced Entry
Cannibal Corpse
Nasty Savage
Dark Angel
Soundgarden
Suffocation
Brutal Truth
Faith No More
3 travelers

Post by 3 travelers »

Mechanix wrote:Some bands I like other than Rush...

Megadeth
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Sepultura (pre-Roots)
Primus
Morbid Angel
Suicidal Tendencies
Led Zeppelin
Overkill
Anthrax
Alice in Chains
Pantera
Judas Priest
Death
Motorhead
Pink Floyd
Kreator
Pestilence
Bolt Thrower
AC/DC
Slayer
Testament
Vio-Lence
Yes
Napalm Death
Minor Threat
Nocturnus
Nuclear Assault
Possessed
Metallica (80s)
Obituary
Hendrix
Boston (1st album)
Destruction
Carcass
Cryptic Slaughter
Rigor Mortis
Drain STH
GWAR
Annihilator
Forced Entry
Cannibal Corpse
Nasty Savage
Dark Angel
Soundgarden
Suffocation
Brutal Truth
Faith No More
That's a great list, I myself absolutely fucking love Primus....
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!
Mechanix

Post by Mechanix »

Yeah Primus is great. I wish they brought that tour up here where their setlist had all the songs from Sailing the Seas of Cheese. It's be great to hear "Sgt Baker" and "Is It Luck?" live.
The sun is still a rumor
And the night is still a threat
3 travelers

Post by 3 travelers »

Mechanix wrote:Yeah Primus is great. I wish they brought that tour up here where their setlist had all the songs from Sailing the Seas of Cheese. It's be great to hear "Sgt Baker" and "Is It Luck?" live.
I actually was given that by a friend of mine... I also have the show where they did all of Frizzle Fry.... classic shit bro!
Mechanix

Post by Mechanix »

That's gotta be awesome.

I was pretty impressed with that last Primus EP that came out ('Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People'). To me, some of the songs (examples: "The Carpenter & the Dainty Bride" and especially "Mary the Ice Cube") sounded like they were ready to toss conventional songwriting to the wind and get utterly weird like they used to be. I'm all for that. Hopefully their next albums follows suit. For the most part, my favorite Primus songs are the weirdest/less conventional ("Is It Luck?", "Pork Soda", "Sgt Baker", "Tommy the Cat", and now "Mary the Ice Cube").
The sun is still a rumor
3 travelers

Post by 3 travelers »

Mechanix wrote:That's gotta be awesome.

I was pretty impressed with that last Primus EP that came out ('Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People'). To me, some of the songs (examples: "The Carpenter & the Dainty Bride" and especially "Mary the Ice Cube") sounded like they were ready to toss conventional songwriting to the wind and get utterly weird like they used to be. I'm all for that. Hopefully their next albums follows suit. For the most part, my favorite Primus songs are the weirdest/less conventional ("Is It Luck?", "Pork Soda", "Sgt Baker", "Tommy the Cat", and now "Mary the Ice Cube").
Don't forget American Life from the Cheese album.... that tunes kills! :cool:
Mechanix

Post by Mechanix »

3 travelers wrote:Don't forget American Life from the Cheese album.... that tunes kills! :cool:
Oh definitely. I was just naming off some of the more spastic, "freak-out" Primus tunes. I could list quite a lot of songs I like from them that are more melodic or less crazy, such as "Groundhog's Day" and "Nature Boy".

I've always found the extreme metal backgrounds of the Primus members pretty interesting, because you wouldn't have suspected it. Claypool was a member of the prog-thrash band Blind Illusion, and LaLonde was the lead guitarist of Possessed, who (along with Death) virtually invented the "death metal" subgenre.

Spot the LaLonde!!:

The sun is still a rumor
3 travelers

Post by 3 travelers »

Mechanix wrote:
3 travelers wrote:Don't forget American Life from the Cheese album.... that tunes kills! :cool:
Oh definitely. I was just naming off some of the more spastic, "freak-out" Primus tunes. I could list quite a lot of songs I like from them that are more melodic or less crazy, such as "Groundhog's Day" and "Nature Boy".

I've always found the extreme metal backgrounds of the Primus members pretty interesting, because you wouldn't have suspected it. Claypool was a member of the prog-thrash band Blind Illusion, and LaLonde was the lead guitarist of Possessed, who (along with Death) virtually invented the "death metal" subgenre.

Spot the LaLonde!!:

Ler is bottom left!!!!.... Lalonde and Les were both in Blind Illusion... I have the album somewhere around the house :cool: :cool: