Marillion

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

Marillion

Post by Ogg »

Many of you should be familiar with Marillion (80's success with original vocalist) and their music. Very much in tune with the Rush mentality and should appeal to many here.
New album "Marbles" is a return to form by this perennial rock/prog outfit. I have to recommend the listening pleasure.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I like listening pleasure!
Onward and Upward!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I like listening pleasure!
I bet you do :wink:
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I loved everything through Clutching at Straws. I lost interest when Fish left. Maybe I should start paying attention again?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Now, Elfie, when you say maybe you should start paying attention again, do you mean paying attention to Marillion or paying attention in general?

Hey! Watch out! Yer gonna trip over that.....oh! Ummm...pay attention to where you are walking dude! :wink:
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Paying attention to Marillion, you funny bunny!
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

I highly recommend the new Marillion CD, Marbles. The double CD edition available on their website has a new classic called Ocean Cloud. Clocking in at about 18 minutes it harks back to that classic Marillion sound of the old days...

I also prefer the Fish era but I'm warming up to more and more of the Hogarth era CDs. Easter is a definite favorite, from Season's End.

Mike
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I was a big Marillion (at one stage I *gasp* liked them more than Rush), even Fish's departure didn't ruin things. However, I lost interest after Holidays in Eden who, in my opinion, was a mediocre pop album. I've heard some stuff since (I do like Brave though its been a while since I listened to it) but nothing has really rekindled my interest.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
D'Anconia

Post by D'Anconia »

I was never a huge Marillion fan, but I did see them live in 86 when the were opening for Queen in Mannheim, Germany.
Regards,
Bri

"...from here in Oregon, where we are far too stupid to dispense our own gasoline." Neil Peart
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I was a big Marillion (at one stage I *gasp* liked them more than Rush), even Fish's departure didn't ruin things. However, I lost interest after Holidays in Eden who, in my opinion, was a mediocre pop album. I've heard some stuff since (I do like Brave though its been a while since I listened to it) but nothing has really rekindled my interest.
'Clutching' remains a favourite but I personally think that the arrival of Steve Hogarth benefitted Marillion enormously. 'Seasons End' blew me away and 'Easter' is somewhere in my top 50. You're correct Slaine' Holidays was utter pap but 'Brave' made up for it.
I think I'll dig out my copy of 'Seasons'.
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I usually put my Reading Boot on.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'