Ogg's Popular Culture Thread

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Ok but we gotta do it here. I still have a wee one in public school.
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Walkinghairball wrote:Ok but we gotta do it here. I still have a wee one in public school.
Me too. So we gotta do it HERE ;)
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Meet in the middle...........Boise? :-)
This space for rent
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Walkinghairball wrote:Meet in the middle...........Boise? :-)

*checks distance from Boston to Boise*

Dayum, that's a haul.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Dude, this is dreamin'! You know, pull the kids out of school or leave them with the in-laws, head out to a new place that's neutral territory for everyone or to someone's house to invade Rushian-style, party with za and java or whatever floats yer boat, play music WAY too loudly for the neighbors, pile in a van or limos or something and go see the movie on opening day.....

DREAM ON, DUDES!
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Just saw Avatar.

*sigh*

Amazing visuals.

But as to the story... darkest retelling of Ferngully I ever saw. It's been a long time since I've wanted to walk out of a movie. But after two hours of time invested I figured I might was well stick around and see how it ended.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Movies these days are built up on so much hype, but the time ya get to watching them, it's like bad sex. The anticipation is so much better!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

ElfDude wrote:Just saw Avatar.

*sigh*

Amazing visuals.

But as to the story... darkest retelling of Ferngully I ever saw. It's been a long time since I've wanted to walk out of a movie. But after two hours of time invested I figured I might was well stick around and see how it ended.
you can't honestly tell me you went in expecting a story :P

and yes the visuals were freaking fantastic, that 3d technology is neato.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I guess it wasn't just Ferngully. It also borrowed liberally from Dances With Wolves... right down to the journal keeping.

Just another "white men are evil, and the American military-industrial complex is the most evil of all" movie. :roll:
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I pray for the day when liberal Hollywooders would quit thinking they know about international politics, and stick to being entertainers.
Walkinghairball

zepboy wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^
I pray for the day when liberal Hollywooders would quit thinking they know about international politics, and stick to being entertainers.
Agreed, show me your university pollitical science grades or shut the hell up and pretend you are someone else.
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I had another memory yesterday. The film wasn't just a ripoff of Ferngully and Dances With Wolves... it also got something major from Rocky and Bullwinkle.

In Avatar, the "bad guys" are after a rare mineral which was ridiculously named "unobtainium" :roll: which had antigravitational properties. It could be mined from some far away moon named "Pandora" which had floating mountains on it.

Yesterday I remembered Rocky and Bullwinkle and a rare mineral called "upsidaisium". Check out the wikipedia summary:
As revealed in the storyline, upsidaisium is a rare mineral that possesses antigravity properties (it is so rare because it's impossible to hold onto, and the only known source is Mt. Flatten, a floating mountain) ; as a result, it is usually shown as hovering above the ground to varying degrees, and requires heavy weights to keep it rooted to the ground for storage.

In the story, Bullwinkle has inherited the mountain from a late uncle, and sets out with his friend Rocky the flying squirrel to claim the mountain and turn its upsidaisium over to the United States government, though their efforts meet hindrance from the series' villains, Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

ElfDude wrote:I had another memory yesterday. The film wasn't just a ripoff of Ferngully and Dances With Wolves... it also got something major from Rocky and Bullwinkle.

In Avatar, the "bad guys" are after a rare mineral which was ridiculously named "unobtainium" :roll: which had antigravitational properties. It could be mined from some far away moon named "Pandora" which had floating mountains on it.

Yesterday I remembered Rocky and Bullwinkle and a rare mineral called "upsidaisium". Check out the wikipedia summary:
As revealed in the storyline, upsidaisium is a rare mineral that possesses antigravity properties (it is so rare because it's impossible to hold onto, and the only known source is Mt. Flatten, a floating mountain) ; as a result, it is usually shown as hovering above the ground to varying degrees, and requires heavy weights to keep it rooted to the ground for storage.

In the story, Bullwinkle has inherited the mountain from a late uncle, and sets out with his friend Rocky the flying squirrel to claim the mountain and turn its upsidaisium over to the United States government, though their efforts meet hindrance from the series' villains, Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale.
just can't sit back and ignore something eh :P the unobtainium thing made me chuckle too, but they nowhere said it had anti gravity properties, I assumed it was floating by use of super conductor type properties, seeing as how it is sci-fi :P And when is the last time you have seen/read something truly original, could be argued easily never :P (don't get too worked up I am having some fun playing devils advocate with you)

The movie is probably the first believable CG flick put out to date, the images had proper depth, movement wasn't mechanical, expressions were realistic (due to extensive face mocap). The only other time I'd seen CG that I was willing to accept was watchmen as generally it has been terribly out of place looking.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Sir Myghin wrote:The movie is probably the first believable CG flick put out to date, the images had proper depth, movement wasn't mechanical, expressions were realistic (due to extensive face mocap).
No argument from me on that point. It was amazing to watch.
Walkinghairball

I've never seen Ferngully, I never watched enough of Rocky and Bullwinkle to remember that specific thing, and I liked Dances with Wolves. I think I'm really going to enjoy Avatar, no matter what. :razz: :lol: :D :-D
This space for rent