Drums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

schuette

Post by schuette »

yeah but he'll never succeed hehehe
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Ogg I am not too sure how long it has been since I started playing double kick.....prolly on 26 years now. It is just second nature for me. But I do know I prefer the feel of REAL double bass. It just sucks to lug it all around. :-D When I set up my double pedal, I tighten my springs full on cuz I have monster legs and any other setting is just too sloppy feeling.

I also have the cross bar almost straight out from pedal to pedal, it seems to have less resistance that way. Unfortunately, set up position on the 1st tom is prolly gonna move out a bit, but the tom is not as important as the pedal placement and relationship of the ride and hi hat to kick and snare. Those positions for me have to be absolute. I can live with where my toms end up from there.

My 2 cents bro. :-D
This space for rent
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Walkinghairball wrote:Ogg I am not too sure how long it has been since I started playing double kick.....prolly on 26 years now. It is just second nature for me. But I do know I prefer the feel of REAL double bass. It just sucks to lug it all around. :-D When I set up my double pedal, I tighten my springs full on cuz I have monster legs and any other setting is just too sloppy feeling.

I also have the cross bar almost straight out from pedal to pedal, it seems to have less resistance that way. Unfortunately, set up position on the 1st tom is prolly gonna move out a bit, but the tom is not as important as the pedal placement and relationship of the ride and hi hat to kick and snare. Those positions for me have to be absolute. I can live with where my toms end up from there.

*picks practice amp up and moves it*

We guitar players dont have that problem. :-D
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

YYZ30 wrote:
Walkinghairball wrote:Ogg I am not too sure how long it has been since I started playing double kick.....prolly on 26 years now. It is just second nature for me. But I do know I prefer the feel of REAL double bass. It just sucks to lug it all around. :-D When I set up my double pedal, I tighten my springs full on cuz I have monster legs and any other setting is just too sloppy feeling.

*picks practice amp up and moves it*

We guitar players dont have that problem. :-D
No... but when you're the rhythm guitarist, keyboardist, and PA owner as I am, it's really a pain.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Sound advice bro.
"I also have the cross bar almost straight out from pedal to pedal, it seems to have less resistance that way..." I've been doing the same mainly because the left pedal forces my hat pedal further to the left :shock: .

"...the 1st tom is prolly gonna move out a bit, but the tom is not as important as the pedal placement and relationship of the ride and hi hat to kick and snare..." Now that's interesting. My set-up tends to revolve around my tom placement but I'll have a wee fiddle after reading that.
It's simply that I've only ever used a single pedal so of course it will be alien to me at first. I'm practising by using ONLY the left kick foot/pedal(now that is interesting) and by repeated single and double blasts. If the mighty Neil Peart can reinvent himself via Freddy Grueber I can attempt the same with Leon Hairy!

Oh no *waffle mode*
I havent really explained this newfound enthusiasm apart from posting far too many rather nice pics.
It was becoming increasingly difficult to get the room (at a local rugby club) to practise in due to a refurbishment and an increase in business. I've been searching for somewhere regular to practise since xmas, the frustration of having a new kit and nowhere to play...aargh!
My place of work is massive, being both a post and delivery office. There are several rooms not in use so I asked my boss if I could rent one of an eveing to practise in...and he said yes! No fee and a fair sized room (the old sick room) for my personal use. Under lock and key and alarmed so I can leave my kit set up...yay me!
Man, I've been there EVERY evening this week and I'm beginning to smoke :-) . My drums sound incredible although I'll have to upgrade my cymbals asap. A fellow postie, 23 yr old Dan brought in his 350 watt Marshall stack yesterday for a jam, with his 'Epiphone' Slash replica geetar and a cool attitude. Dan's a shy lad and has only ever practised in his room!...with such a big amp too, lol. I may post some pics. We jammed Metallica and Pantera chunes and 'wrote' a wee instrumental. I was ****** after for sure. Practise, practise, practise... :-) .
I actually BOUGHT a Gavin Harrison instructional book and cd and I find it quite the inspiration.
On Monday evening the true reformation of 'HusK' will occur. My best chum (a different) Dan is arriving for the first of many jams and I cant wait. I want at least a month for just the two of us before we add more guitarists and we have five to choose from..." would you play the bass instead mate?" :-D
Thanks for listening :-) .

Here's Dan's geetar pics
ImageImageImage
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

All great news, my friend!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I can play bass! :-D

Most excellent that you can have such a place for your drums and ged to practise so much now! That's great news indeed.
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Ogg said:Sound advice bro.
"I also have the cross bar almost straight out from pedal to pedal, it seems to have less resistance that way..." I've been doing the same mainly because the left pedal forces my hat pedal further to the left :shock:.

Do the legs on your Hi-Hat pivot???

If not, DW makes a Hi-Hat with only 2 legs.....................the pedal board make up the 3rd leg, and you can get the left kick pedal right beside the hat pedal board. So, if you have big feet like me, you can do cool stuff with both pedals together. :-D
This space for rent
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Literally the majority of my time of late has been spent drumming and I couldn't be happier. I have access to my kit every day(!), I have a lot of catching up to do...and I'm getting there.
Listened to my bro Hairy and I've fiddled with heights, angles and such like, comfort being the key. I'm still finding it difficult to master the double pedal but I'm keeping with it.
Anyway, myself and Dan have been jamming old 'Husk' tunes etc in preperation for a bit of filming. We soon trashed that idea and decided to direct our energies towards two new songs of his and a jammed thing of mine. We filmed an hour on friday and I managed to extract the audio and convert it to mp3, albeit rather tinny (despite using 'soundforge' to enhance the audio) but the best I can do for now. I'm currently attempting to re-encode a video clip for a 'youtube' post and no doubt a few will be harrassed by me until they recieve an mp3 or two :-D .

Video screenshots:

We have plans to perfect these three tracks and record them at a local studio in June. I love it! :-D

HusK: Obedience to Necessity

1. Standing Stone
2. Escape Man
3. No Thing

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/144027 ... --MP3.html
Last edited by Ogg on Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walkinghairball

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go bro go!! :-D
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

When I ged hame I shall dl your songs. Although, I expect to see a CD when this is all done!
Onward and Upward!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Ogg wrote:Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:51 am Post subject: Drums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh My Ged, it's finally here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :-D
to:

as of now :)

:-D :-D :-D
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I don't know much about drums, but that looks like a lot of fun to me! :)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

ROTOTOMS! :-D
Onward and Upward!
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

You double pedalers.... :roll: I figure I have enough to work on with a single pedal...and heck, Buddy, Bonzo, and Elvin played single pedal all their lives, so I figure I'm in good company. 8)
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright