Are you satisfied...

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Wendy wrote:
Mr. Potatoe Head wrote: My pleasure has become like water under a hot burning sun, it evaporates swiftly.
If your water evaporates swiftly from the pot you'll burn the potatoes!

:smt018 :smt018 :smt018
That's why he has friends who help him to keep filling his pot back up with water. :D

As for the poll, I would be interested in knowing the definitions respondants of this poll used for the word "satisfied". Respondants here gave us a good explaination for their answers, but it is hard to know just what the polled ones are meaning.

Are they looking for satisfaction in sex, money, fame, popularity, things, their TV shows,.....? True satisfaction comes from none of those things. All too often, though, I see people looking for their satisfaction in these areas.

We (the general population in the USA) are such a spoiled people! We want, want, want and strive to have the newest, biggest, best that we can. How many of us replace our cars every few years, "need" a new computer although it works still, have multiple TVs and get frustrated when we can't see our favorite shows, spend money on "necessities" such as cable and internet and junk food and whine when we can't have what we want when we want how we want?
Onward and Upward!
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

Neil said it best...
"There's no magical place so put on your bravest face"

Thanks for the fresh water Dawn :-)
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:We (the general population in the USA) are such a spoiled people! We want, want, want and strive to have the newest, biggest, best that we can.
I totally agree t.

Americans want stuff.

They want lots of it ....

...and they wanted it yesterday. :lol:
Don't start none...won't be none.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

I want Yesterday!!! LOL
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

CygnusX1 wrote:
awip2062 wrote:We (the general population in the USA) are such a spoiled people! We want, want, want and strive to have the newest, biggest, best that we can.
I totally agree t.

Americans want stuff.

They want lots of it ....

...and they wanted it yesterday. :lol:
The counter revolution
At the counter of a store
People buy the things they want
And borrow for a little more
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

It's interesting reading what seems to make people "satisfied", and to be honest it is no surprise that the West (As I think the UK is in the same vein as the USA, though perhaps to a lesser degree) measures this by material gain.

Myself, I stopped worrying about all this some time ago when I actually attained the means to be materially "satisfied". I wouldn't consider myself wealthy, but I do earn pretty good moneyand could probably afford most of the things I want.

Here's the funny thing though: as soon as I could afford these things, I stopped wanting them. True, I have a nice house in the country, but I don't worry about things like flash cars or gadgets. I'm just not interested.

I think it's down to the fact that there are a wealth of things that really matter all around me, eg family,friends, the great outdoors etc.

It ounds cliched but give me a roaring fire after a good hike across the hills,the company of my wife and dogs (not neccessarily in that order!) and a nice bottle of wine and that's enough for me.....

Oh, I nearly forgot. My guitars feature in this as well....
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I'm a bit confused (no mystery there), and I mean absolutely no disrespect, but reading back through all the posts I don't see any (apart from awip's observations/theory that Americans are spoiled, with which I can only partly agree) posts that suggest that satisfaction has to do with material gain and loss. On the contrary, all have dealt mostly with "body and spirit, education, stress, sadness, happiness, love, sex, hearth and home."

I feel uncomfortable contradicting you Fridge, but I get the feeling this question has invoked something deeper than surface needs.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Big Blue Owl wrote:I'm a bit confused (no mystery there), and I mean absolutely no disrespect, but reading back through all the posts I don't see any (apart from awip's observations/theory that Americans are spoiled, with which I can only partly agree) posts that suggest that satisfaction has to do with material gain and loss. On the contrary, all have dealt mostly with "body and spirit, education, stress, sadness, happiness, love, sex, hearth and home."

I feel uncomfortable contradicting you Fridge, but I get the feeling this question has invoked something deeper than surface needs.
I was actually reeplying directly to Awips post but forgot to quote it, so that would explain why you are confused

My fault
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Fridge wrote:
I was actually reeplying directly to Awips post but forgot to quote it, so that would explain why you are confused

My fault
No fault found, buddy. In fact, I hope I didn't sound like an idiot.

This would be a great time to have a magic wand. Let's see, what's the spell?...

Eraso Postatus!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:
Fridge wrote:

My fault
No fault found, buddy. In fact, I hope I didn't sound like an idiot.

This would be a great time to have a magic wand. Let's see, what's the spell?...

Eraso Postatus!
LOL!!!

I'm finally going to see the "new" Harry Potter movie today. Likely alone. :(

Kares, wanna come with me and hold hands?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Hey, Elf. I saw it alone as well. I had a great time! Thing is, the "Popcorn Bucket Trick" wasn't half as fun solo :happy1:

As to the movie itself, I'll have to say that I was completely SATISFIED :-D :lol: :-)
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote: As to the movie itself, I'll have to say that I was completely SATISFIED :-D :lol: :-)
Good to know. My daughter heard negative stuff and doesn't want to go. So, I'll check it out on my own.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

ElfDude wrote:
Big Blue Owl wrote: As to the movie itself, I'll have to say that I was completely SATISFIED :-D :lol: :-)
Good to know. My daughter heard negative stuff and doesn't want to go. So, I'll check it out on my own.
Don't do it , it's a tarp!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I got a date. I won't see it alone after all. :-D
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

I'll add that I totally agree with Fridge. Gina an I do pretty good have a nice home, etc. My job brings some satisfaction now (that has gotten much better, than it use to be) I do enjoy my car only because it brings me comfort and is a joy to drive. Anything that helps my life be a bit more easier, for example having a washer and dryer sure beats the laundry mat or the bath tub. In the end though it's family and friends that really count, even being kind to total strangers brings me a measure of happiness. I use to feel great joy in certain things that does nothing for me any longer. I can't find that sustained happiness I once had, sometimes it's just a day to day existance. I enjoy exploring new places and sharing those experiences or just sitting under the stars with people I love.

On the other hand the world brings great saddness too. I wish I could do more to help others, that would bring great happiness and satisfaction
in my life helping people help themselves.

I feel I was a bit negative with my first reply, it's just that things are a lot differnt than they once was. I use to be happy-go-lucky now it's much differnt I guess I miss that child like feeling I use to have. I don't know it's hard to explain it's the sustained happiness I lost. I am trying to find the words but can't. I enjoy things but that "WOW" factor is gone. I will add just one more thing. I grew up with absolutly nothing, my 3 brothers an I shared a room the size of a closet, shared the same bath water 2" deep and had barely enough to eat. We were very poor growing up and I literally worked myself to the bone to get what we have. I am very possessive of that and don't care for people that want hand outs and don't want to work for a living. On the other hand it makes me happy to be able to help others, if and only if they are out their trying and there are people that just need our help due to physical or metal challenges.